Newbie to NCL - Norwegian Gem ?s

cloudydrms

My DH and I are new to NCL having sailed many times with Carnival and once with RCCL. We're really looking forward to giving NCL a sail. I'll say my only trepidation is Freestyle Dining. I'm not positive I'm going to love it. There is a charm in getting to know your waiter and bus boy that I think I'll miss. Also, not looking forward to actually waiting for dinner. On a positive note, it really looks like the entertainment is fabulous. Looking forward to the shows! On to my questions:

I'm having some difficulty locating the Dailies for the Gem 9 night cruise. Anyone know where I can find these?

We're considering eating in the alternative restaurants a couple of times, but I'd like to know what's available in the MDR each night. Is there some place I can get a look at the 9 night menus?

Somewhere I read that even if you ordered from Bon Voyage they would charge you a $15 corkage fee. Surely that's incorrect?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. Oh, and if you have any Gem secrets to share, that'd be great too!!

Cindy

Sorry I can't help as I only cruised once on NCL back in 2005 but I just booked the Jewel out if Houston for Oct. 2014 so have a long wait.

I too would love to hear anything since I haven't cruised on NcL since way back.

I have cruised on CCL 23 times so know them pretty well but looking forward to trying out NCL again.

Check the big displays outside the dining areas. They'll tell you which dining venues have a line at the time you want to eat. It's usually not that bad unless you decide to go RIGHT after one of the shows lets out. Once you get seated, there isn't any more of a wait for your food than on lines where you have fixed dining times.

There are two MDRs that serve the same menu (pretty much) so you can try the one with the shorter line.

I'm not sure if they'll do this but when you board, you might ask to see the menus for the 9 nights. They might have copies to give you. The Gem has a GREAT crew and they really want to make sure you have the best experience possible. Even if they don't have anything to give you, you can ask about specific special nights and they'll probably let you know.

If you like your servers, you could even ask about how best to get those same servers every night. It's possible you could ask for a specific area in the room, though that's probably easiest if you don't eat at peak times.

And I'm pretty sure the Bon Voyage package includes all charges. The $15 corkage is if you are bringing your own liquor, not if you are buying it from the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks so much for the information on waiting times in the MDRs.

I'm still looking to see if anyone has menus or Dailies from this ship/voyage.

Thanks!

We've found that there's usually a short wait if you go as soon as the MDR opens since everyone is trying to be seated at the same time. Better to wait 15 minutes or so.

Also, the corkage fee applies to wine only. Other alcohol is not permitted to be carried on board.

My DH and I are new to NCL having sailed many times with Carnival and once with RCCL. We're really looking forward to giving NCL a sail. I'll say my only trepidation is Freestyle Dining. I'm not positive I'm going to love it. There is a charm in getting to know your waiter and bus boy that I think I'll miss. Also, not looking forward to actually waiting for dinner. On a positive note, it really looks like the entertainment is fabulous. Looking forward to the shows! On to my questions:

I'm having some difficulty locating the Dailies for the Gem 9 night cruise. Anyone know where I can find these?

We're considering eating in the alternative restaurants a couple of times, but I'd like to know what's available in the MDR each night. Is there some place I can get a look at the 9 night menus?

Somewhere I read that even if you ordered from Bon Voyage they would charge you a $15 corkage fee. Surely that's incorrect?

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide. Oh, and if you have any Gem secrets to share, that'd be great too!!

Cindy

Not sure where you read something about being charged the corkage fee if you ordered wine through Bon Voyage. This is incorrect. You are charged the corkage fee for wine that is bought outside of NCL.

Anything purchased from NCL will be charged a 15 percent automatic gratuity.

From the NCL Bon Voyage wine list.

A 15% gratuity will be added to your check. Prices are subject to change. Your check may reflect applicable VAT or an additional tax for certain ports or itineraries.

Well, I can see where people might get confused about whether or not there's a corkage fee on Bon Voyage. From NCL's site is the following Wine & Champagne Policy:

"Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board."

It's that last paragraph that gets people confused. Even me. That still implies that they could charge it for Bon Voyage. There's really no other way for friends, family, and travel agents to send stuff except through Bon Voyage is there?

Cindy

recent dailies have been posted...but i'm still not able to find recent 9 m night menus! I'm sailing soon and will be taking pics to help out those who would like to see menus for the 9 night.

I would LOVE it if you would post menus from the 9 nighter when you return! It would be nice to figure out what nights I might want to eat at an alternative place prior to the cruise.

Cindy

• 4 weeks later...

We were on THE GEM last September/October on a cruise to Canadian provinces. It was very nice. We did NOT eat in any specialty restaurants. Either the Garden Buffet or the Main dining rooms. The food for the most part was good.Some wait staff was better than others, but on the whole they were very receptive and did the best they could. We are going back on the GEM this September again, so we enjoyed the Gem in spite of a few annoyances.

So far, the Gem is my favorite ship of all lines. We have cruised her twice and absolutely love her!

One tip - this is the only ship I have ever been on where I would say but the spa pass. The Gem has a wonderful spa and we loved it! We bought a week pass in the terminal before boarding - best money ever spent.

Also the buffet on the back of the ship is great, especially for breakfast.

You will love it. We have gone on many Carnival cruises and I feel NCL does a MUCH better job with buffets. We have never paid for a specialty restaurant either. The MDR is very good.

We absolutely love the idea of freestyle...and we do enjoy the MDRs and buffet...we do not feel the need to do specialty dinning..

Try NCL...I bet you will like it...

PS--good hint was previously posted...we never had to wait for MDR--just don't go right at opening...half hour later..is better...and of course..sometimes there is a small wait at prime times .

Archived