Pin Trading

2prettygirls

Yes we have. One night the ships officers held a swap outside of the Walt Disney Theater. They have all kinds of pins and from what I understand no offer is refused by them. We bought cheaper pins to trade with them and kept our limited edition ones back in our room. Be aware that other passengers may try to trade unfairly with your kids. That's what I was told on these boards before our cruise.

Last month on the Dream they had one evening for Officers pin trading. Which means the officers had pins ot trade and anyone on board who wanted to trade could come and trade with them or others who showed up. I also noticed a CM standing outside of one of the stores with pins for trading on a black sachel at his side, not a lanyard and he would trade with people.

What I have done in the past is join a roll call thread and then ask if anyone wants to do a Pin trading meet, let me know and then I set up our own little meet. Usually the 2nd day on the ship, early morning so not to interfer with peoples excursions unless its a 7 day then its a sea day.

I got 23 new pins last November just from our meet.

But unless its the meet time in the Navigator you dont see people walking around with pins on their lanyards like in the theme parks.

Kathy

Yes we have. One night the ships officers held a swap outside of the Walt Disney Theater. They have all kinds of pins and from what I understand no offer is refused by them. We bought cheaper pins to trade with them and kept our limited edition ones back in our room. Be aware that other passengers may try to trade unfairly with your kids. That's what I was told on these boards before our cruise.

My kids had the same experience, with one caveat: The officers will take any pin so long as they don't already have that pin. But, yes, my boys hit on the same strategy: get the giveaway or cheap pins and trade them for the "better" pins.

My kids had the same experience, with one caveat: The officers will take any pin so long as they don't already have that pin. But, yes, my boys hit on the same strategy: get the giveaway or cheap pins and trade them for the "better" pins.

If it's bad for other passengers to trade unfairly with your kids, is it OK for your kids to trade unfairly with the officers?

If it's bad for other passengers to trade unfairly with your kids, is it OK for your kids to trade unfairly with the officers?

I knew when I wrote that someone would point that out. The difference is the Officers know they are not going to turn down offers so I'm sure they don't wear pins they can't part with. Kids (especially little ones) often don't realize it when they are being taken advantage of by older passengers who do know the difference.

Weren't you doing the same thing with the officers? :confused:

And I bet that you would do the same with kids.

Anyone ever do pin trading on the Disney cruises? We are sailing on our first Disney cruise next January and just curious if people partake in such event....want to be prepared.:)

Based on response to my previous post, I retract the advice I originally gave you. I mean really I am no expert. I went on one Disney cruise, bought about 5 pins for my 8 year old to trade, went to one swap where DD traded one pin with one officer.

Now, I think you should get on that ship. Go straight to the gift shop and buy the most expensive pins you can. Then go directly to your personal navigator and find out when the pin swap is. Send your kids there with the pins you bought for the swap. I am sure the Officers will have all their best ones :rolleyes: And hey whatever happens happens. After all they are just pieces of metal.

Most of all have a wonderful cruise!!!!:)

• 1 year later...

These are the extra pin I have .

Carnival Ecstasy VIFP Club Inaugural Year 2012 4 VIFP Club Inaugural Year

Carnival Glory 6 Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Legend 4 Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Paradise 3 Funnel Tail pin Large Bought on ship

Carnival Sensation 4 Funnel Tail pin

VIFP CLUB ROUND WITH FUNNEL TAIL SMALL 8 VIFP Funnel Tail pin

VIFP CLUB ROUND WITH FUNNEL TAIL LARGE 3 VIFP Funnel Tail pin

These are the pin I need I hope you can help.

Carnival Breeze Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Conquest Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Destiny Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Sunshine Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Triumph Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Splendor Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Victory Funnel Tail pin

Thanks Frank fcorneli@tampabay.rr.com

These are the extra pin I have .

Carnival Ecstasy VIFP Club Inaugural Year 2012 4 VIFP Club Inaugural Year

Carnival Glory 6 Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Legend 4 Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Paradise 3 Funnel Tail pin Large Bought on ship

Carnival Sensation 4 Funnel Tail pin

VIFP CLUB ROUND WITH FUNNEL TAIL SMALL 8 VIFP Funnel Tail pin

VIFP CLUB ROUND WITH FUNNEL TAIL LARGE 3 VIFP Funnel Tail pin

These are the pin I need I hope you can help.

Carnival Breeze Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Conquest Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Destiny Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Sunshine Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Triumph Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Splendor Funnel Tail pin

Carnival Victory Funnel Tail pin

Thanks Frank fcorneli@tampabay.rr.com

Umm..... this the Disney cruise line forum.

I have to say I agree with this on both counts.

The (majority) of officers are not really there to pin trade of their own volition ;)

And since they are not paying for the pins themselves, and it serves Disney to sell more...... ;)

But other Guests may try to take advantage of each other.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

The officers follow the same pin trading rules as park employees. They cannot refuse to trade unless the pin being offered is obviously counterfeit, they CAN do hidden pins (where its on backwards and you don't see it until you trade) and they can hold a limited number of traded in pins back so people don't jump on it if a kid makes a mistake and trades in a rare pin.

Most of the stores on board have a big pin trading book as well.

The officers follow the same pin trading rules as park employees. They cannot refuse to trade unless the pin being offered is obviously counterfeit, they CAN do hidden pins (where its on backwards and you don't see it until you trade) and they can hold a limited number of traded in pins back so people don't jump on it if a kid makes a mistake and trades in a rare pin.

Most of the stores on board have a big pin trading book as well.

I'm sure they perform their duties with the upmost professionalism and courtesy, despite volunteering to scrub the hull of the ship/deep clean engine bay No. 3 with a toothbrush instead of pin trading with the young guests and their parents instead.

ex techie

Anyone ever do pin trading on the Disney cruises? We are sailing on our first Disney cruise next January and just curious if people partake in such event....want to be prepared.:)

Yes we do pin trading we are on the Magic cruise now, welcome to Disney, they have it in the shops now and PIN trading sessions in the Atrium and a few officers with them.

If there is Disney's version of a code red noro alert, some interactive events will be cancelled. In severe cases the books may not even be avail.

We were on the Fantasy this past May and they did not do the officer pin trading night. They said it was a precaution to avoid getting the officers sick.

Weren't you doing the same thing with the officers? :confused:

And I bet that you would do the same with kids.

The pins the officers trade are not their own. As they arrive to the pin trading area they are handed a lanyard with pins on it. Someone asks to trade they say "what would you like" and then trade. As the crowds work through the officers and there gets to be little or no activity on his lanyard he will trade for a different lanyard, full of different pins. So to the officers there is no attachment it is just a means to circulate and sell pins. Besides value of the pins is dependent on the owner. What you treasure I may dislike and vice versa.