Completing PADI in Eastern Caribbean

gemz

My husband did the course and 2 open dives in the Maldives for the first time in November. His dive instructor logged it all in the PADI database for him to get the credit. We will be cruising the Eastern Caribbean on Ruby Princess soon and am wondering how to set him up to complete his open dive requirements. Like should we sign up for an excursion and they will log it? Or if we find something on the island? Any advice from people who have completed certification would be great! Also where it's best for him to do his open dives. We will be going to Princess Cays, St Thomas, St Maarten and Grand Turk. Thanks!

he can't just sign up for an excursion. he must be certified for that and he isn't yet. he must contact a dive shop and arrange for an instructor to complete his dives 3 and 4 of the open water program. he's/you're on your own for that....

THEN he can sign up for xcursions . . .

I've been certified since the 70's but dd completed PADI on-line last year and we went to the Keys for her open water work last March.

he we are on her first 'certified dive' in thebig tank @ EPCOT

disneydivetwo.png

we planning to go to Cayman for a week next month..

I completed my open water dive locally, but I see where this would be harder for you/him unless you wait till August. I'm preparing to do my first open water dive after that in May in St Thomas. I'll defer to Laurie on the location recommendation, but where ever you go, I hope you come back and tell us how it went.

Diving at Coki Beach at St Thomas would be great. You can contact the Coki Beach Dive Club, and arrange either beach shore dives, or even boat dives. The owner Pete has a small boat, and will go out even with just one diver (did with me, once with 2 divers, another time with just me) The shore diving there is easy, the dive shop is right on the beach, with very short walk to water, and it's easy shallow shore diving.

Grand Turk also has good diving, but you'd need to arrange to get on a boat.

• 1 month later...

Hi Gemz

We will be in St Thomas on April 16 where I will need to get the first 2 of my 4 open water dives. I have had a couple responses and both in the 180.00 range to do this. This seems pricey or am I cheap?:eek:

Please let me know how you and your husband made out.

a typical price in Key Largo for a package of the 4 required ref' dives (two half day, 2 tank boat trips) $295

The PADI Open Water Referral is completed in two half-days. This course consists of four open water checkout dives that are required to complete your PADI Open Water Certification. To qualify for this you must have completed all course work and confined water pool sessions within the past 12 months and have with you referral paperwork from your previous instructor. The course price includes all rental gear, trip fees, and processing fees.

Pirate Island Divers . . .

I believe he needs more than just a sign off for two dives. He needs a dive instructor to also be willing to generate the PADI certification card. You should contact various shops to see if that will be an issue. Since the instructor who issues the card is putting their name on the line that the diver is competent, they may or may not insist on seeing all 4 dives personally.

Archived