Radiance Class Question

kruzinkel

I have a D1 on Radiance OTS this spring for a northbound Alaska. Found a D1 on the hump and will, i think, be perfectly happy in that room. BUT- am thinking about a JS. JS guarantee is the only type showing available for my sailing. so, my question is, is a JS anywhere, any deck, and side better than the hump D1? Cost-wise- it is a little more, but i would really like the double points on this trip (it would bump me up a level after this cruise, instead of next). Any thoughts?

Of course it's up to you, but I am not a member of the "coveted hump cabin" club. We much preferred our somewhat aft balcony cabin on Jewel recently (not an aft cabin - difference), Deck 9. It was super close to Windjammer and very convenient. A JS would be even more wonderful. :)

I have a D1 on Radiance OTS this spring for a northbound Alaska. Found a D1 on the hump and will, i think, be perfectly happy in that room. BUT- am thinking about a JS. JS guarantee is the only type showing available for my sailing. so, my question is, is a JS anywhere, any deck, and side better than the hump D1? Cost-wise- it is a little more, but i would really like the double points on this trip (it would bump me up a level after this cruise, instead of next). Any thoughts?

Go for the JS (all JS on the ROS are only deck 9 a great deck and side won't matter on the inside passage)..only two cabins #1098 & 1598 have a small bit of steel (window cleaning) obstruction..but not enough to really matter at all....Take your chances I have done this very same thing on the same ship & itinerary and ended up with GS #1050...The extra space, walkin closet, tub, cruise points makes the JS usually the only catagory I will book...ENJOY !!!!

it is about $1500 for the move from a d1 to a js guarantee. it is just my husband and i and we can pay it. in theory, it could be even a larger suite, correct? if i have a js guarantee and they run out of js- they have to give me a suite of some kind. final payment is due in about a month.

it is about $1500 for the move from a d1 to a js guarantee. it is just my husband and i and we can pay it. in theory, it could be even a larger suite, correct? if i have a js guarantee and they run out of js- they have to give me a suite of some kind. final payment is due in about a month.

So approx $200 per day..I still stick with my post #3 above...Go for it before that offer is ...gone and it will be quickly...supply=demand.

• 3 weeks later...
done- finally was able to switch it for $550 each. doulbe points so worth it because i am thinking of heading back to Europe next summer and would love to be platinum for that trip!

Good choice. If you are going to Icy Strait Point try the zipline. We also chartered a whale watching boat with Glacier Wind and both the zipline and whale watching were the highlight of the trip.

I had JS #1100 (aft, port side) and that was absolutely amazing. It has an extra window in addition to the slider that lets in a ton of light and the balcony is enormous. We had a high-top table with two chairs where we ate breakfast some mornings, and also had two full-size loungers, which was a nice place to retreat to if the pool got too loud and crowded. The cabin itself it also larger than pictures suggest. There's tons of storage space and the walk-in closet is awesome! If you can get it, get it!

I had JS #1100 (aft, port side) and that was absolutely amazing. It has an extra window in addition to the slider that lets in a ton of light and the balcony is enormous. We had a high-top table with two chairs where we ate breakfast some mornings, and also had two full-size loungers, which was a nice place to retreat to if the pool got too loud and crowded. The cabin itself it also larger than pictures suggest. There's tons of storage space and the walk-in closet is awesome! If you can get it, get it!

#1100 JS is my favorite cabin..lucky to have had it for a 12 night Baltic Northern Europe cruise....However not sure I would do it for an early Alaska cruise (had the option for this May) much more enjoy the portside/starboard completely covered balcony for those cold Alaska temps if that's the time frame the OP is sailing...Otherwise #1100 is a very popular cabin and we usually try to book/snag it a year out.

JS aft balconies are the best cabins on Radiance class. However, even if you don't go for an aft, the 'regular' JS is still definitely larger/roomier than a D1. There is the oft-mentioned thing about 'well, you don't spend any time in the cabin anyhow...' but we _do_ spend time in the cabin and find the additional sq. ft. to be the difference between 'crowded' and 'comfy'. YMMV...........

We spent 17 nights in 1094 on Deck 10 on the Radiance, and would never choose it again due to noise from the Windjammer kitchen above. There was lots of random banging, scraping, and thumping all day and night, but the worst was what sounded like a giant coffee grinder that started about 5:30am every morning and continued off and on for an hour or so. Maybe it was just that one particular cabin, but we did hear similar comments from passengers in cabins near us. For the 2nd leg of our B2B, we moved to 1100 and it was heaven - no noise, great privacy and spectacular views.

We had 1594 on the Serenade (opposite side of the ship and they upgraded us without asking) and we had the same problem with noise from the WJ, and very early in the morning, like 4:30 or 5 am. If I had to pay for a JS I would NEVER have chosen this cabin. I always check to see what is below and above my cabin of choice.

I, for one, LOVE hump cabins, especially since we use the stairs exclusively.

Archived