New to NCL, can I do this?

banderboo

For our next cruise we will have 8 adults and 2 toddlers (1 and 3) sailing. I would really like to book the 3 bedroom garden villa on the Jewel and have everyone in the same cabin but it only has a capacity of 8. I was thinking of booking the cheapest inside cabin along with the villa and booking one adult (same name as the 3yr old) and the 1 yr in it, and the rest of us in the villa. Since both kids will still be in cribs everyone would really be sleeping in the villa. Question, would there be a problem with the one adult not booked in the villa using the pool and other suite services? any other options short of having to book another suite?

The short answer is, yes, there would be an issue. Only registered suite guests will have key cards that give access to the suite areas and perks and I'm not sure that NCL will allow cribs to be added to the GV if its already at capacity. The 8 person capacity is pretty strict - no matter the age.

To be sure though, I would recommend calling your PCC or a reputable TA and double checking.

There's 2 questions here - I think you're asking if you can do this to have 10 passengers in a room designed for 8. Given the cruise line sell cabins in each section of the ship within strict rules concerning capacity for muster drill and lifeboat seating designed for that area - I think you already know the answer to that question.

As for the other question concerning if they would object to a non-suite adult having access to suite amenities - the short answer is yes.

thanks for the replies, I asked because we did something similar on RCL and it wasn't a problem. We mustered according to our assigned rooms but after that we all stayed in the same suite. Key access wasn't a problem as we just got a key for the kidlet with the same name as his daddy.

Would you consider taking a nanny on the cruise? If so, you could book the nanny and kids in an inexpensive cabin while the adults get booked in the GV. The nanny and kids won't have Haven access, of course. but I think guests can visit the interior of your suite, so they can spend time with parents and maybe nap in their packnplays (might want to bring your own rather than carry back and forth to nanny's cabin). I suspect that tipped staff will not object if the kids sleep overnight in the villa some nights. other nights the nanny could be on duty, giving the adults some privacy...or all nights if having kids in villa creates a problem. most crew love kids and want guests to be happy.

Or maybe you could book a couple smaller suites.

Two of the things that NCL are pretty strict about are: not exceeding the capacity of the rooms and not giving suite benefits to someone not staying and paying for a suite. The first is a safety rule and is regulated, the other is not giving something to someone for free when others pay full price. Sorry!

For our next cruise we will have 8 adults and 2 toddlers (1 and 3) sailing. I would really like to book the 3 bedroom garden villa on the Jewel and have everyone in the same cabin but it only has a capacity of 8. I was thinking of booking the cheapest inside cabin along with the villa and booking one adult (same name as the 3yr old) and the 1 yr in it, and the rest of us in the villa. Since both kids will still be in cribs everyone would really be sleeping in the villa. Question, would there be a problem with the one adult not booked in the villa using the pool and other suite services? any other options short of having to book another suite?

Maybe the adults could take turns staying in the inside cabin with one of the toddlers. Pool access may be a problem if they check key cards.

I guess if it were me, I would book the lowest category suite for one adult and the two kids. That way there were be no issues with everyone having the suite perks. Was looking into something similar as you previously but ended up biting the bullet and getting everyone a suite.

I would bet that a lot of people do not sleep in their assigned cabins every night.

We have three suites booked on the Breakaway this summer and by the time I booked my brother's suite they didn't have any more suites that could accommodate 4 passengers so I booked one of his kids into our 6 person suite.

If it's an issue one of the kids will stay with us, but I am hoping that she can sack out on the floor with her parents on some nights.

I guess if it were me, I would book the lowest category suite for one adult and the two kids. That way there were be no issues with everyone having the suite perks. Was looking into something similar as you previously but ended up biting the bullet and getting everyone a suite.

I would bet that a lot of people do not sleep in their assigned cabins every night. I imagine there are single people on every ship who hope they do not sleep in their assigned cabins every night. and parents hoping the kids spend some nights in Grandparent,s cabin

We have three suites booked on the Breakaway this summer and by the time I booked my brother's suite they didn't have any more suites that could accommodate 4 passengers so I booked one of his kids into our 6 person suite.

If it's an issue one of the kids will stay with us, but I am hoping that she can sack out on the floor with her parents on some nights.

the lowest category of full suite will get perks, but will it get them Haven access? Perhaps that depends on which ship? If they go with two suites and want to use the Haven, they will probably need two Haven suites. It seems to me that the big difference between the OP's current dilemma and his previous RCI experience is the Haven...Though some venues/seats require a "gold card on RCI, they do not have anything equivalent to the Haven as far as I know.

Contrary to prior posts I don't think you will have a problem. At a minimum everyone can have full access to the Garden Villa, it's hottub, and sun deck. Simply request an extra keycard for the villa that the one adult booked in the inside can use. I have done that on my last 2 garden villa cruises.

The courtyard pool is no big deal. It would not be unexpected to have the concierge to allow one one passenger to use the area. Nothing there of interest for a 1 or 3 year old. In fact I really never set foot in the courtyard when in the GV.

Yah, I think if they have the GV they won't care about using the Haven. But, by booking one adult in an inside, they wouldn't have suite perks (i.e. cagney's) Unless the concierge (or whoever has the authority) extended it to them...

The fact is though, there are people on every cruise who are not booked in suites that have VIP access (cagney's, priority tendering et).

Anyway, I would still book the suite just to simplify things. The only thing the adult who is in that suite would not have would be Haven (but again they are in the GV so who cares!) access but I bet everything else (special seating for shows) would be extended. And other the other suite perks would already be in place.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

If the Adult has the same name as the toddler couldn't they just switch key cards.

If you go to Cagneys and show 1 key card from the GV, I don't think they are going to ask for everyones. And after a couple times they won't ask at all.

IIRC, NCL clips the corner from minor's cards, so if somebody looks critically at the kid's card, they will know it belongs to a boy, not a man. But how closely will anybody look?

Having never stayed in the GV, I will defer to Jim's opinion on the matter.

IIRC, NCL clips the corner from minor's cards, so if somebody looks critically at the kid's card, they will know it belongs to a boy, not a man. But how closely will anybody look?

Having never stayed in the GV, I will defer to Jim's opinion on the matter.

They would know from the picture when they scan it.

I too think this will not be a problem , call NCL and talk to someone up the chain. Your not just booking a suite , your booking the GV and they will work with you if at all possible.. As stated already , thay have the ability to offer VIP perks to whomever they wish ..;)

They would know from the picture when they scan it.

Yeah, if they look closely, they will know. and if they scan it neither the photo nor any linked data will match. But, nobody would be too surprised if daddy carries both his card and his toddler's card with same name and occasionally mixes them up.

If the Adult has the same name as the toddler couldn't they just switch key cards.

If you go to Cagneys and show 1 key card from the GV, I don't think they are going to ask for everyones. And after a couple times they won't ask at all.

What happens when that adult tries to purchase something? Buy a drink? Won't work.

They just use their own card. Will work

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

I was referring to the adult using his toddler's card with the same name. Don't think their pictures would look the same, not to mention the toddler is underage.

Archived