Which hotel in Vancouver?

OrangeCallaLily

I recently saw a post on restaurants in Vancouver, I was able to get some great ideas on where we would like to eat when we are in town. I am unsure of where to stay, any suggestions? We have one day and one nigh tin Vancouver before we fly home after 2 weeks in Alaska. I only wish I could stay longer, I have heard so many wonderful things about Vancouver. I would rather have our hotel be in a happening area than close to the airport. We were thinking to spend the day in Stanley Park, any other suggestions?

Depends on your budget.

My favorite is the Pan Pacific which is built on top of the cruise ship terminal & our convention centre. Wonderful hotel with fabulous views but $$$$.

Other great hotels in the downtown core of Vancouver that are great places to stay:

Westin Bayshore - at the entrance to Stanley Park and on the shore of Burrard Inlet

Marriott Pinnacle

Fairmont Vancouver - a grand old lady where I have stayed several times & right int he heart of downtown Vancovuer

Rennisance New World Hotel - only about 2 blocks from the crusie ship terminal

Hyatt Regency - large spacious rooms & good location

Four Seasons - built above the Pacific Centre Mall (one of Vancouver's largest shopping malls) and right in the centre of downtown

And the list goes on....

If you have a specific question ask away.

However I got the Hyatt on priceline this spring for a very cheap price.

We just stayed at the Hyatt Regency last Wed night after our southbound cruise. It was fabulous. I got the rooms thru price for $70/night. When we got there, they gave my daughter and mother a corner room and my husband and I a next door room with a balcony. The bellman opened the door between the 2 rooms and we had a great party room! Those corner rooms are huge! The rooms were great, location terrific and we were treated so great by all the staff..............(it was the 1st time I had used priceline and was a little afraid we would be given some room in the basement or a closet!) So try priceline and see what happens. I don't think you can go wrong with any downtown location. We really enjoyed Granville Island (which has a nice little brewery) Good luck and have fun.

I just stayed at the Comfort Inn on Nelson street and had no problems with it. The rooms are a bit small but they were comfortable and it included a free breakfast. The front desk staff were great and the location is fine. Just 2 blocks from Robson. I would definitely stay there again.

We stayed at the Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre -- used Priceline and got it for $80. Had a great dinner at the Blue Water Cafe in Yaletown (walking distance from the hotel). We had the best seafood of our trip there! Our family enjoyed Granville Island's Public market, and loved the Vancouver Aquarium in Stanley Park (with the Beluga whales!). We were in Vancouver for only 24 hours - it was our first time there. No doubt that we will take an extended vacation there in the future. Our 19 and 22 year old sons absolutely loved that city!

We also stayed at the Vancouver Sheraton Wall Center. And also got it on priceline for $80. We loved the hotel and location. Right in the middle of town and about .9 miles from Canada Place Pier according to mapquest. We were told that the Sheraton is the newest hotel in dt Vancouver, and appears to be the tallest building because it sits on a knoll (35 floors, we were on 31) but is not the tallest. They asked us at checkin if we wanted to be on a high or low floor for our room. The only drawback is that they do not have shuttle service, so taxis are required -- from pier to hotel was about $6 fare. US$ OK.

The day the ship arrived, we checked in and left our bags, then caught the Vancouver Trolley Co tour, $30pp (2 for 1 coupon in Entertainment Book) for a good overview of the city with a narrating driver. Last pickup is 4 PM with on/off all day and goes thru Stanley Park, all parts of the city as well. The next day we started out walking and ended up walking thru the entire city - Chinatown and the Dr. Sun Yet San Gardens, Gastown, Canada Place, Robson Street, etc. We ate dinner at a restaurant in the E. book - there are several close by that looked great and have been recommended on the boards.

I encourage you to use priceline -- I have used it for 2 trips and love the challenge of getting a bargain and the excitement of which hotel I will win. If you bid in the downtown area for a 4 star hotel, you can't go wrong. Lots of people have gotten the Hyatt and Sheraton for reasonable rates. Good Luck!

Also, if you have time to order the Entertainment Book for I think the discounted price of $10 now, you will have coupons you can use. Even the Quick Shuttle has a coupon in it if you are transferring to Seattle for your flight.

GloriaF...

what entertainment book do you refer to for Vancouver and where can I get one....I will be arriving in Vancouver 5pm the day before we cruise, will I have enough time to do the city tour you mentioned in the morning the day of the cruise. We are staying at Pan Pacific which is right at the pier, will we be able to catch the trolley from the hotel and how often does it run, for that matter, can you explain what the trolley does....such as does it just continually run the same loop over and over again and how long from start to finish

Thanks for the help

Max's Mom: The seafood at the Blue Water Cafe was really fresh! We honestly don't recall if they had non-seafood dishes there because we were looking for Pacific Northwest seafood. We had their appetizer assortment of smoked seafood (sturgeon and salmon) and ahi with ponzu sauce. It was excellent. We also ordered a variety of oysters (they had a reallly nice selection) for appetizers. The total tab for the 4 of us was about $300 canadian before tips. We all had full entrees, dessert, and my husband had 2 martinis. The service was also excellent. We went early for dinner (around 5:30pm) coming straight from visiting Stanley Park -- there were early bird specials for around $30, and one of my sons ordered that (a complete meal -- his entree was prawns with risotto).

Right near the restaurant is a cigar shop selling Cuban cigars -- we didn't know that you could get them in Canada. Of course, the guys had to stop in and get some for their after dinner walk back to the Sheraton, which was just a few blocks away.

Is going though priceline a bit hit and miss and you could get something dodgy, or is it worthwile as I am paying 102USD for Crowne Plaza Seattle and 109CAD for the Crowne Plaza Vancouver plus tax, and I thought that was a good deal until hearing the aboveShould I use priceline instead?

tiger13, I see suz gave you the links.

The trolley runs from the AM til 4 pm, the same loop , but it is an extensive loop. The entire loop takes about 2 hours if you just stay on, which is what we did to get a feel for the layout. You have a map to follow and that helps acquaint you with the city. The conductor is also the tour guide. You get to see a lot of the city that you might not get to in a short stay. We enjoyed it. You just get off and on as you please, and there are more than one trolley running all the time, so the wait usually isn't very long. It picks up at all the major hotels, and I'm sure it will be by the Pan Pacific also. Ask the concierge where to catch it. Vancouver is really a beautiful city!

Wish I had the *&$&* to try it! I am a bit (a lot) chicken!

It was my first experience with Priceline and boy, was I was nervous! But Vancouver is actually a great place to get your feet wet on Priceline because all of the 4-star hotels that you could end up with in the downtown area are wonderful. You really can't go wrong! (and it's not that cut-and-dry in many other cities)

Archived