Which hotel in Vancouver?

OrangeCallaLily

Does anyone know about the Crowne Plaza Vancouver Hotel Georgia located in downtown Vancouver? I remembered that I have enough Priority Club points (25,000) to stay at the Crown Plaza for free. It says it's downtown and just minutes from the the pier.

I tried using Priceline earlier and I guess I underbid. I was reading all these posts about the Hyatt and the Sheraton at good rates.

We're going on the Radiance out of Vancouver for the Aug 6 cruise to Alaska. I'm just trying to find someplace close for Friday night Aug 5.

Thanks.

TEDSON. we booked the Sheraton Wall on Hotwire for $95.00 per night for two nights on August 12th and 13th. I think we booked it back in April and tried Priceline first but could not get any 4* for that price at the time.

Hi all --

I'm wondering if anyone has information on the following Vancouver hotels:

• Bosman's Hotel
  • Listel Hotel
  • Holiday Inn Express (Hastings St -- near the Pacific National Exhibition and the Pacific Coliseum)

How easy/hard is it to get around Vancouver from any of these hotels? How far are they from Canada Place? Are cabs easy to find?

Thanks for any & old help!

~ trish

The Crowne plaza is an older property well maintained and recently upgraded and close to everything - must be okay as Cathay Pacific puts there crews in there - 4 blocks to the pier - across the street from our large downtown shopping mall - Pacific Center with both a Bay and Sears etc. One block from Robson and all the shopping there - lot's of restaurants close by including Hy steak house just down the street

As for the other Hotel - the Listel would be my choice - a well run hotel in the heart of the Robson Street shopping area - great restaurant called O'Douls on site - three cruise critics from my most recent cruise stayed their post cruise and none complained about it.

Bosman's location is already but it is an older property and more of a motel than a hotel - probably 2-3 star

Holiday Inn Express - too far from downtown and the tourist part of the town - if you need a Holiday Inn -there is one downtown on Howe St

Hope this helps

Cheers and enjoy your Vancouver visit

Dennis

As for the other Hotel - the Listel would be my choice - a well run hotel in the heart of the Robson Street shopping area - great restaurant called O'Douls on site - three cruise critics from my most recent cruise stayed their post cruise and none complained about it.

Dennis

I would second Dennis' comments on the Listel. We stayed there back in 2002 and found it to be a wonderful hotel. Nice room, staff, restaurant, and great location. I would stay there again, but it's a completely non-smoking hotel, and as a smoker, I had to go down to the street whenever I wanted to smoke. Probably not an issue for most, but just wanted to make the comment for any smokers out there.

Just thought I would let you know I just booked the Hyatt Regency in downtown Vancouver for $65 per night (3 rooms/ 2 nights each) bidding on priceline. I started bidding on priceline back in March (went as high as $100) but didn't get a bite, then tried today starting at $65 and got it...oh yeah, the dates are for June 30 - July2 which is Canada Day weekend so I was really pleased. Good luck whatever you decide!

I believe it has to do with "supply and demand" at the time you are trying to book a room. Keep trying with patience. Something will eventually come through and you will get a great deal! Prices will vary based on the dates requested. Good luck!

Thank you all for the information about using priceline in Vancouver. I was never brave enough to try it anywhere before, but figured what the heck for one night following our southbound cruise. Since so many people said that 4* for Vancouver is a pretty sure thing, I did it. I got July 22 at Hyatt Regency for my $90 bid. I suppose I could have tried less, but it sure beats the $160 night I had previously reserved at the downtown Day's Inn. Thanks again

Ketarah

Ketarah, congrats on your bid with Priceline. Enjoy your cruise......we can't wait til ours!!!

Noticed that you are sailing the Island Princess to Alaska this year. Please post your experiences when you return. We are sailing the Island to Alaska in May '06 and would love to hear all about the ship and your trip. Thanks in advance and hope your cruise is extremely memorable.

I was able to get the Sheraton Wall Centre for $84 through Hotiwre. It was listed as a 4*

If you go to betterbidding.com you can review other people's Hotwire wins and as list the hotel/amenities descriptions. This will help you pinpoint the hotel Hotwire is offering. When I did this, I was able to narrow it down to either the Seraton or the Pan Pacific. I figured for $84 a night I couldn't go wrong with either. It turned out to be the Sheraton indeed. Lokking forward to my stay there.

budgetEd, that's a great price for a 4*. I'm looking to book a room in Vancouver for Sat, Aug 27th, and 4*'s on Hotwire are going for $117. Hoping to get the Sheraton Wall Centre also since some of our fellow cruisers are planning a pre-cruise cocktail party there. I've heard picking a 4* on Hotwire might also get you the Hyatt.

Supply and demand does make a difference and sometimes you have to go a few bucks higher. The hotels' own websites (to check availability) and betterbidding.com are my preferred resources. My inlaws are on the Radiance right now and they stayed at the Marriott Pinnacle for two nights precruise last week. I got it on Priceline for $84 a night but it took several tries to get it. I had started my bidding at $60 and used free rebids going up about $5 a bid and three 72 hour bidding cycles before getting it at $84. Many have got it for less but for those particular days the best price I could find anywhere on the internet for the Marriott was $229 Cdn. Hotwire was listing it at $124 (if you read betterbidding.com you can figure out how to identify the hotels on HOtwire) so if you see it on Hotwire you can try Priceline for less (in Vancouver sustantially less). It takes some reading and researching but I've been booking all our hotels thru Priceline for the last couple of years now. Once you know how to do it efficiently it's a breeze.

Here's a link to my post on betterbidding.com explaining how it was bid. This might give you an idea of how it's done and there are many more posts by others on there like it to help you out.

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?act=ST&f=166&t=13061&

We stayed at the Fairmont waterfront, across from Canada Place (and the Pan Pacific). It is a 5* hotel and service was wonderful. It was within walking distance to shopping areas. There is a food court in the basement (they called it the concourse). A little pricy, but well worth it. We were on the 5th floor and the view was of the dock where the ship came in. There is also a fantastic spa, pool and exercise room.

All these hotel suggestions are great! Thank you one and all. I am wondering, however, are there areas/hotels we should just out and out avoid? Mainly due to a more unsavory/unsafe area.

My wife and I are planning on flying in the night before (no chance for sightseeing then), but definitely will spend an extra day after the cruise in Vancouver. Seriously thinking of staying at the Travelodge the night before (I just need a place to sleep! lol), but want something better after the cruise.

Kevin - if you are referring to the Travelodge on Howe St you should be okay - the area around the Hotel is part of the Granville St Entertainment district where there are something like 15 or 20 bars, nightclubs in a five block radius.

If you are there on a weekend it could be noisy as the bars are open until 4AM in weekend - during the week not too busy - restaurants in the area and you are only 2 blocks from the Davie St village which is home to Vancouver's thriving Gay and Lesbian Community.

You are over a mile to Canada Place but if you plan is only to overnight and then straight to the ship you should be fine.

A good jazz bar at the Yale hotel a block away and a White Spot restaurant nearby. Private cold beer and wine store on site.

Hope this helps

Cheers and hope that you enjoy Vancouver and your cruise.

I did priceline for Vancouver for 2 nights--7/6 and 7/7. Got the Hyatt for $70 PLUS taxes/fees. Total $90/night. I don't know if the previous posts which list prices are including taxes, etc.

Joanne

Archived