Walking on Noordam with luggage...QUESTION

CHK

DH and I are taking a 21 day cruise on the Noordam out of Ft Lauderdale and I can manage to fit everything we need into two suitcases--one 26" and one 28 inch, both with 360 degree wheels. Since we live in Florida and are driving to the port, we're thinking that we should just roll these on with us.

We actually did this at the port of Tampa last year and with even larger suitcases. One of the port workers commented that they might not fit on the conveyer but they did and with room to spare. Just not sure if the scanners are a standardized size. And there are valuables in at least one suitcase that are fragile (camera, laptop and such)

So the question: Does anyone know if it will be a problem putting these through the carry-on scanners in Ft Lauderdale? Both suitcases are about 20" wide and no more than 12" in depth.

Thanks!

We saw a suitcase that was about 28" get jammed in the scanner at Port Everglades terminal 21, causing lots of angry people before it was unstuck. Then it had to be opened and manually inspected.

We put valuables into a smaller carry-on and check the large bags when we drive to Tampa or PEG.

When we went through the renovated Terminal 26 the X-Ray machines they had at the security point there did not appear to be large enough for suitcases.

All luggage was being directed to a different point with the "tipping not required" porters. I assume they had larger X-Ray machines in that part of the terminal.

FLL is rather strict and you could be sent back out to the street to hand it over to a stevedore.

Save yourself and others the possible big inconvenience and do like the rest of us....... check your luggage. IMO

None of us (with any common sense) checks money, jewelry or valuables in any checked luggage. That is what small carryons are for. :)

I'm not sure what driving to the port has to do with rolling all your luggage on with you. Most people who fly in also have their luggage with them the same as those who drive. We drive and check our large bags with the porters and all valuables are in one carryon bag we keep with us. Not only is it a pain to drag on big bags, but the chances of a problem at the scanner will not only inconvenience you but also the other pax trying to get through the carryone scanner and onto the ship.

Thanks for all of the comments. It looks like we'll be bringing a small carry-on along as well. Since we're going to do the "walk off" at the end of the cruise with our luggage, we didn't really want to deal with 3 bags but it really shouldn't be a problem. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks again--Carolyn

I know you are asking about a different US port, but when I sailed out of Seattle, I had a laptop computer in my bag and was required to remove it from my carry-on so it could be scanned separately. So no matter what you do, have the computer handy to remove so it can go through the scanner on its own.

Also, I find that my one small carry on will easily double as my in-port bag. This is often a small backpack (think college book bag sized) that I use to carry a water bottle, camera, towel (sometimes), umbrella or poncho, port map with port agent info, etc. off (and back on) the ship with me. The bag flattens nicely so I potentially pack it in a main suitcase at the end of the trip if I need/want to do so. Just something to consider.

You could always consider sending your largest suitcase via the porters and carrying on your medium and small bags; just be sure each person has a day or two of clothing, toiletries, valuables, etc. in the smaller bag(s). This is one situation where separate his and her suitcases might not be optimal.

Thanks for all of the comments. It looks like we'll be bringing a small carry-on along as well. Since we're going to do the "walk off" at the end of the cruise with our luggage, we didn't really want to deal with 3 bags but it really shouldn't be a problem. Better safe than sorry!

Thanks again--Carolyn

We have a small canvas backpack (like for school) that can be rolled up (when empty) and easily fits into the corner of the suitcase. We can pull it out, and load it up for carrying on or a shore excursion. This would give you the carry-on you need and still allow you to walk-off with just your two suitcases. Enjoy your cruise.:)

I know you are asking about a different US port, but when I sailed out of Seattle, I had a laptop computer in my bag and was required to remove it from my carry-on so it could be scanned separately. So no matter what you do, have the computer handy to remove so it can go through the scanner on its own.

<snip>

I also had to remove my netbook computer from the small shoulder bag in which DH carried it when we went through Seattle security to board. We'd never had to remove it from its case in any other port.

Archived