Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

There's no reason to think that both parties would be right. First of all, we know when the message was received, but not when it was sent. I've had texts get delayed before, and that wasn't when an extra 4,000 people were trying to send messages to family back home.

And when the toilets were working, how did they communicate this? With an intercom system that runs on power? If he was at the other end of the ship from the working toilets, I imagine it would take a while to get the message across. And considering the open decks aren't nearly large enough for that many people, it's probably not easy to get to the other end of the ship and check.

As for Carnival lying, why would they? This is information that would be extremely easy for passengers to call them out on once they got off the ship. No way are the PR people dumb enough to issue a blatant lie like that. The resulting effect would be much worse for them once everyone got off the ship and told the truth, rather than just saying they're still not working right now.

It's entirely plausible for everyone to be right at the moment.

I agree. We have an account from Gretchen on the wichita business journal blog that some toilets and showers are operating. (emphasis mine)

Looking at those pictures in the link, it looks that at least some passengers are in their cabins, as there are people on some of the balconies. A balcony cabin would be somewhat cooler, but with no air moving, would be hot, even with the door open. Anyone know why the tugs have been delayed? Once they are being tugged, they should get a breath of air anyway.

The door locks use AA batteries.

Really? Cool. Thanks for your response. I should have known that, actually, since we have electronic card swipes at work that have batteries, now that you mention it. :rolleyes:

I would be content to hang out in my balcony cabin with the door open and consume what was in my fridge, I think. It would be inconvenient, but I would love having my cruise paid for and getting another one in the future! All the ports were visited, and the vacation was as it should be until the last day, so I wouldn't feel cheated.

I feel badly for the older people and for people with young kids, and for ppl that will have problems at their job as a result of missing extra days, though.

I did a little research. Technically, since the ship is in international waters and is not US flagged, the US coast guard cannot demand to board unless they have evidence of violation of international maritime law, or suspect the persons aboard the ship to be incapacitated.

That said, what WILL have happened was something like this.

CG: Requesting permission to send an officer aboard to assist with communications and coordination.

Triumph: Permission granted, please come aboard.

So no, the CG might not be able to legally insist, but they would never need to either.

The coast guard is branch of the military, I have been in the military 24 years and I am still in. The military has several missions, including humanitarian, the coast guard has every right to board that ship for health and welfare. You apparently have no knowledge of the mission of the coast guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought this, too, although it would be creepy walking around the dark halls, even with a flashlight. But then I thought, how do people get into their cabin if there is no power, since the doors are electronic. ??

The locks work on batteries. One on most recent cruise we saw a yellow light blinking when we swiped our key card. Fortunately because I read Cruise Critic, I knew that meant the battery was dying. We reported it to our cabin steward and it was changed within minutes. :)

According to Carnival my cruise still leaves in 42 days on the Triumph. I'll make the best of any situation myself unless I was stranded in the water w/ sharks:( but then the upside situation to that is I would be able to number 1 or 2.

As far as the food goes who would want to eat much anyway in this situation, it's got to go somewhere.

Majority of the people on the ship are probably doing much better than most of some posters think they are.

If I were stranded in the water with sharks I don't think I'd have a whole lot of control over the #2 factor. :eek:

I did a little research. Technically, since the ship is in international waters and is not US flagged, the US coast guard cannot demand to board unless they have evidence of violation of international maritime law, or suspect the persons aboard the ship to be incapacitated.

That said, what WILL have happened was something like this.

CG: Requesting permission to send an officer aboard to assist with communications and coordination.

Triumph: Permission granted, please come aboard.

So no, the CG might not be able to legally insist, but they would never need to either.

Right, as someone said before, they are not going to storm the ship. But once they ask for permission I doubt they will be denied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why would the USCG have to board the ship???

I would think that they would only do so if it was requested of them, or if they suspected some sort of "criminal" activity. I could be wrong but I'd assume the primary purpose of them being there is to assist if there is some sort of further emergency--airlifting a sick passenger or crew member off for example.

Oh my gosh!:( I'm so sorry.

To the negative posters: Do you see that for some, this information from other CC members with family onboard is the only information they are getting for their loved ones? So, just chill out. Not everything needs to be a debate. Think of others for once.

Lynn, I hope you (or someone in the family) hears from her soon. She could possibly be one of the people who has a dead fone and is waiting to charge it.

I bet the first order of business was to remove alcohol. Not knowing what would need to be done at any given moment during this initial emergency immediately says, no more alcohol for anyone. We need people with it and sober.

I would hope that those with charged phones would allow fellow cruisers to send a text to their family letting them know they are OK.

The latest update from Cruise Critic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5192

Laura, is it the Legend or Liberty that is there helping today? The report in the sticky posted just recently says Liberty, but earlier ones said Legend. Just wondering since there has been confusion in this thread concerning that.

Thanks.

Alleged? the Triumph's propulsion issues have been raised several times on cruise critic.

Check out this thread if you need to read up on it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1784167

If it is on the Internet it must be true? Nah.

What was the root cause? Something electrical? Mechanical? With a propeller? Rudder? Motor? Generator? Specifically what.

What caused the fire (hint: nobody knows, yet).

To say the previous issue was not properly fixed or to say that the two are related is beyond speculation. :cool:

According to several reviews from this ship over the last 45 days, the ship was regularly late, could not come close to its top speed, and required a higher degree of maintenance than normal while at port. Passengers had been told that due to propulsion problems, they had to cancel ports of call.

I wouldn't necessarily call this an "accident". Carnival knew this ship had problems and refused to do anything about it.

I concur that Carnival had plenty of notice about the poor state of the Triumph. My wife and I just returned from the immediately preceding cruise on the Triumph (Feb. 2 - 7) and she was badly in need of repair. She had, apparently, lost propulsion on the cruise before ours (Jan. 29 - Feb. 2), limped out of port 4 1/2 hours late, then lost propulsion again on our first night. The crew was able to repair her and, reassured by the captain, we successfully made it to Progresso and Cozumel. The obviously poor state of the vessel remained, however, on everyone's mind. On the last evening of our cruise (Feb. 6), we encountered a storm and Triumph heeled hard to the starboard which could not possibly have done her any good. My wife and I discussed on multiple occasions during the cruise that the ship was really showing her age, needed repairs/refurbishing/scuttling, and the very possibilty of our being stranded (or "cast adrift," I suppose).

Laura, is it the Legend or Liberty that is there helping today? The report in the sticky posted just recently says Liberty, but earlier ones said Legend. Just wondering since there has been confusion in this thread concerning that.

Thanks.

The link in Laura's post goes to the midday news update, the latest is this one:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5193

Carnival's 11:30 press release says Legend, so I'm assuming that is the correct one.

The USCG has every right to board the ship for any reason or no reason at all.

Some reasons would be to assure that the fire is out and to assist in any damage assessments and preliminary investigation, passenger evaluations, etc.

http://www.uscg.mil/international/affairs/publications/mmscode/english/chap3.htm

Actually it seems that as long as the Triumph is in international waters, the USCG has no authority to board without permission of the Captain or the country that the ship is flagged under.

We just got a text from daughter-in-law. She said she was miserable but no worries.

Good to hear she is remaining in good spirits or trying to , if you speak to them again , might have them ask for a Naval Perk ,, to have a swim call .

The link in Laura's post goes to the midday news update, the latest is this one:

Carnival's 11:30 press release says Legend, so I'm assuming that is the correct one.

The latest one says Liberty.

I quoted that post because that was the only one I could find of Laura's on this thread.

Legend is right because it sails from Tampa.

"...The husband of a distressed female passenger told CNN some people had turned into "savages" and were fighting over food.

"She said they had no power, no running water, and she said she hadn't been able to eat anything yet. Then you call the Carnival phone number for families, and they tell you that everything is all right," Brent Nutt said...

Nutt told CNN his wife was in tears as she spoke of the deteriorating conditions.

"They have no power, there's no way to charge cell phones or anything.

"To hear your loved one crying saying she just wants off of the ship and it all to end....

He said members of her group were in tears.

"People are fighting over food and stuff - that's a bunch of savages. It's ridiculous."

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/130211/cruise-ship-carnival-triumph-stranded-gulf-mexico

yes..., a minor inconvenience considering you can get 2 free cruises on this line!

Seems to be a lot of speculation and very little in the way of facts. :rolleyes:

I would have loved to have been on Splendor then and Triumph now. A free cruise now and a free cruise later for a little inconvenience. ;)...

Do you still feel the same now? If so, I'm sorry, but you're crazy, lol!

Oh my gosh, thank you! I've been looking for a post by someone who might have this answer for 51 pages lolol. This is good (and interesting) information to know. I'm gonna go pull that rule and check it out. Thanks again!

Does this post actually make sense to you, lol? :eek: You're not even the slightest bit embarrassed that the analogy you posted has no logical connection to the blizzard I and many others in the NE have been living through for days, but is actually the antithesis of the situation here. :confused:

ftr, though, to try to help you out and make some tenuous connection to your argument about automakers and the situation at hand, i will say that IF an auto manufacturer sold me a car that kept having defect after defect of which they had prior knowledge of, and in which I later got into an accident because of? you bet you're a$$ they'd be answering. So there, I related your crazy analogy to the situation at hand and still, even still, it does not pan out to be the conclusion you are arguing is logical and rational one, lolololololol... omg...

It has happened before with autos...it was called Pinto!

If it is on the Internet it must be true? Nah.

What was the root cause? Something electrical? Mechanical? With a propeller? Rudder? Motor? Generator? Specifically what.

What caused the fire (hint: nobody knows, yet).

To say the previous issue was not properly fixed or to say that the two are related is beyond speculation. :cool:

So have you have backed off the word "alleged" then? Since the propulsion issues have been raised over and over on CC?

If a ship has persistent mechanical issues over two months but is kept in service... and subsequently has an engine fire and goes adrift... I call that reason to ask tough questions.

Archived