Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

How do you know there won't be a fee? Source?

My "guess" would be that since this was an accident, that the ship's insurance policy would pick up all costs relating to such accident.

Just like a homeowners policy would pay for furniture storage, an alternate place to live,food allowance, some living expenses, etc should the homeowner be displaced due to fire etc. as per their policy.

It is also my "guess" that cruise ships have insurance policies.

Why? because the cruiselines did not plunk down million/billions of their own dollars to build these ships....a bank did...and thus will require them to be insured..for just about every possible scenario around.

Just like your bank makes you have a good enough homeowners policy before they give you a mortgage.

again, just my "guess"....but life experience and common sense is at play here as well!:D:);)

Due to press releases by Carnival Corp, their insurance carrier, and the reinsurance companies after the Concordia disaster, we know that they are well insured for any number of perils.

As I recall passports were going to be mandated by law a couple of times (deadlines were set), only to have those moved (or eliminated). Not sure what the current status is... though I'll bet some of you folks have that answer!

Apparently when things are considered to be too expensive, too much of a burden, or too difficult - plans are scrapped - regardless of the obvious need.

Tom

Triumph will be at sea for two extra days.

Wonder if the Navy will be flying in Spam & Pop Tarts like they did for the Splendor :rolleyes:

I really don't think Triumph will end up being at sea any extra days. She was scheduled to get to Progreso on Wednesday but had drifted 90 miles north and with towing against the current she would have not made it until Thursday, which is when she is suppose to get to Mobile.

Yes Mobile is better for Carnival but it is also better for the passengers with being able to get off the ship faster and get home (especially those without passports).

As I recall passports were going to be mandated by law a couple of times (deadlines were set), only to have those moved (or eliminated). Not sure what the current status is... though I'll bet some of you folks have that answer!

Apparently when things are considered to be too expensive, too much of a burden, or too difficult - plans are scrapped - regardless of the obvious need.

Tom

The cruise lines have lobbied heavily and each time gotten the requirement waived for closed loop cruises. At some point I believe reason will take precedence over campaign contributions and that loophole in the requirement will be closed.

I really don't think Triumph will end up being at sea any extra days. She was scheduled to get to Progreso on Wednesday but had drifted 90 miles north and with towing against the current she would have not made it until Thursday, which is when she is suppose to get to Mobile.

Yes Mobile is better for Carnival but it is also better for the passengers with being able to get off the ship faster and get home (especially those without passports).

She is already at sea for extra days. This cruise was supposed to be over by now.

They haven't switched anyone. They've been pulled from booking until they know whether the ship will actually sail. If they let people book it and have to cancel, that's more people they have to give that 25% discount to.

It's not looking good for March cruisers, sorry to say. I don't think we're going anywhere on the Triumph. And someone asked about those set to cruise 20-60 days out. We're still in the penalty phase. If we cancel, we'd be assessed the usual cancellation fees since our cruise hasn't been cancelled yet. My future SIL's parents tried to reschedule their 3/2 cruise to the Magic for the same week yesterday. Wouldn't let them do it without paying the penalties. But I also read a report around here somewhere of someone who was able to reschedule without penalty. So, as usual, it varies, but most have been told no go without paying the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I thought Carnival was offering a 3 to 5 day cruise for free. Is not the Magic a 7 day cruise?

When we were given our credit for the Swine Flu Cruise it was the price of our cruise we were given towards our next cruise.

Has their cruise be cancelled as of yet. I thought only the next two had been. Have they canceled more?

Between the news on TV and the thread here, I have been reading and listening to everything.

I feel so sorry for all the passengers and crew going through this.

And now another day on the ship as she heads to Mobile.

Not only should Carnival require everyone to have a passport, I believe that all cruise lines should require all passengers have passports no make how long the cruise is or whether it is a closed loop cruise. JMO

I've never understood the American aversion to passports. Growing up, I lived in Europe for four years, so I've had a passport longer than a driver's license!

Even on a closed-loop cruise, a passport is necessary if someone has to leave the cruise early for any reason. It happened to us one year when my dad unexpectedly passed away and we needed to get home. An already stressful and emotional situation would have been much worse if we were also dealing with not having proper identification to fly back to the US.

Tom

I remember the cancellations of dates. I think it's because they want it voluntary. There have been some great inexpensive cruises, but people would not want to pay extra dollars just to sail them. I've scored some cheap ones because I'm a local to ports, but I'd not like to spend $100 pp over the cruise fee.(I do have a passport). I see the value of one, but others see dollar signs and won't book .

I just saw on The Today Show, part of the reason the decision was made to tow the ship to Mobile instead of Mexico was it will be easier to get the 900 passengers without passports home. You know the 2200 passengers with passports are upset with the 900 that didn't have them. They have to endure one more day on an disabled ship with deteriorating conditions.

I've never understood the American aversion to passports. Growing up, I lived in Europe for four years, so I've had a passport longer than a driver's license!

Even on a closed-loop cruise, a passport is necessary if someone has to leave the cruise early for any reason. It happened to us one year when my dad unexpectedly passed away and we needed to get home. An already stressful and emotional situation would have been much worse if we were also dealing with not having proper identification to fly back to the US.

900 guests onboard traveling without passports.

The cruise lines have lobbied heavily and each time gotten the requirement waived for closed loop cruises. At some point I believe reason will take precedence over campaign contributions and that loophole in the requirement will be closed.

Thanks. Yes, I look at many things associated with government and trust that at some point sensible minds will prevail... then I wake up. :eek:

I remember the cancellations of dates. I think it's because they want it voluntary. There have been some great inexpensive cruises, but people would not want to pay extra dollars just to sail them. I've scored some cheap ones because I'm a local to ports, but I'd not like to spend $100 pp over the cruise fee.(I do have a passport). I see the value of one, but others see dollar signs and won't book .

Understood. Though someone else pointed out earlier that it would be easy to tell the difference between the US citizens and everyone else... all the others would have passports.

At what amounts to about $10/yr for a passport (yes, and a $8 photo, processing fee, a stamp or gas to drive to a passport facility, etc..) I can't help but think if people can't swing that perhaps they should reevaluate getting themselves into a situation where they might be faced with expenses that would be even more costly: injury away from home, flying home due to any unforeseen need, etc...

Tom

Why do Americans not like passports? Is it a freedom thing? You travel to another country, you should have a passport.

We don't like to give the government money that isn't required. It's simple really. I have been on several cruises and my wife on many many more than me. We don't have passports and we don't buy trip insurance (unless going in winter from here in the Northeast). We have never needed either.

We now have passport cards, only because we took a road trip to Canada this summer. And getting them was a nightmare because of our idiotic government. It's just so expensive to get them so when you don't really need them then the motivation simply isn't there.

I keep asking myself why there are so many Passport and Insurance police on CC. I swear you guys are getting commission or something. :D

We are to sail on the Feb 25th cruise but I doubt that will happen. Tried to cancel and switch to the magic cruise the same week but it was already sold out :( But they did tell me that we could cancel our cruise with no penalties or cancellation fees. We decided to hang on and see what happens but are planning on a trip to San Antonio because we know it will probably be canceled. We have to do our trip that week because time off work already being taken and family flying in just to watch our children. We were really looking forward to a cruise :(

We are to sail on the Feb 25th cruise but I doubt that will happen. Tried to cancel and switch to the magic cruise the same week but it was already sold out :( But they did tell me that we could cancel our cruise with no penalties or cancellation fees. We decided to hang on and see what happens but are planning on a trip to San Antonio because we know it will probably be canceled. We have to do our trip that week because time off work already being taken and family flying in just to watch our children. We were really looking forward to a cruise :(

Sorry to hear that, I am sure there are a lot of people that feel just the way you do. I would be very frustrated if that would be happening to us for our upcoming cruise. I hope you still get some relaxing time either in San antonio or possibly cruising.

Why do Americans not like passports? Is it a freedom thing? You travel to another country, you should have a passport.

Because prior to the 9/11 attacks, countries in North America allowed visitors from neighboring countries to enter without a passport.

They haven't switched anyone. They've been pulled from booking until they know whether the ship will actually sail. If they let people book it and have to cancel, that's more people they have to give that 25% discount to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have one in our roll call who switched from a triumph sailing to Magic. He was on the next triumph sailing out (which I guess has been cancelled)

Archived