Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

We are to sail on the Feb 25th cruise but I doubt that will happen. Tried to cancel and switch to the magic cruise the same week but it was already sold out :( But they did tell me that we could cancel our cruise with no penalties or cancellation fees. We decided to hang on and see what happens but are planning on a trip to San Antonio because we know it will probably be canceled. We have to do our trip that week because time off work already being taken and family flying in just to watch our children. We were really looking forward to a cruise :(

Can you sail out of New Orleans? Their are still cabins available on the 2/24 NCL Star sailing if you wanted to jump lines.

They better be dumping it into their holding tank and keeping it until they get to Mobile for a pumpout station.

Some cruise ships have a large enough sewage holding tank or sewage treatment plant to deal with it, others don't. If the tank isn't big enough, they can dump it into the water so long as it's treated and so long as they are at least 3 nautical miles from land.

The crew can dump it into the tanks, and the chemicals in the tank will "treat" it, but then they need power to pump it put. The pump works on electric. I'm sure they can occasionally flip the switch, but who in the world has the job of transferring this into the tank?:eek:

I feel awful for this crew. Popr people enduring this garbage with the ship breaking down sailing after sailing, and having to deal with all of the pax on them each time, to now having to handle fecal matter, to being out of a job for at least a month. it's so bad. i really feel for them.

I've only read to this post so far, so this may have already been brought up, but there are reports from yesterday/today sewage is running down the walls. The smells must be horrifying. Ugh.

CBS news reported passengers had been confined to public spaces but the sewage system to the forward part of the ship had been restored. They also said the tug was moving them at 3mph (they may have said knots, but I really think they said mph) and they would reach Mobile sometime on Thursday. I'm sure Carnival's first priority is the safety of the passengers and crew. My heart goes out to all those on board. I am sure the conditions are miserable. Hopefully Carnival will make announcements soon on the number of future triumph cruises that must be cancelled.

i must admit reading this thread this morning has been way more fun than watching my early morning news. i've learned all about tugboats, the coast guard, maritime law, passports and passport cards, electrical circuitry, and way more about the elimination habits of humans than i care to know. i've also learned about how human waste will eventually lead to the sinking of the ship, that passenger convenience should dictate the tugging of a ship against wind and current direction, that food police are necessary to control the savage instincts of human beings, that sheets and blankets draped over chairs to provide some privacy for people sleeping on deck are tents, and that a passenger's husband is getting his 15 minutes of fame by taking advantage of the misery of 4000 passengers.

i've also learned that thousands of people are predicted never to cruise carnival again as they are trying to find ways to re-book for their cancelled cruises. i've learned that some people are more concerned about if people on the ship are getting more days towards their platinum status (heaven forbid that someone is getting something for free). i've learned that solar panels should be on every ship even though their use in the regular world has proven to be to inconvenient, heavy, expensive, and rarely worth the effort.

i've learned that an incident on one ship proves that all ships owned by a company are suspect and should not be allowed to sail, that those sailing without passports deserve their fate and should have their debarkation slowed for the benefit of those that actually paid for a passport. i've learned that the cruiseline is holding their passengers hostage, gee just throw them all into rafts and lifeboats and have them paddle their way to land.

oh, and the best, gossip rags information repeated a gazillion times by other blogs posing as legitimate news sources carries much more weight than press releases posted on legitimate sites. and now i'm off to have breakfast with my gorgeous french model i met online.

Passengers are also receiving refunds for gratuities (rightly so). For crew members who make the vast majority of their pay from tips, I wonder if CCL will step in and pay the crew?

You see I am not entirely sure I agree with you, I understand how this is possibly the worst situation ever that one can be on vacation. But I can tell you that I for one would decline the reversal of the gratuities. Cruise lines are not know for paying well to their crew and it is well known that these people live mostly out of gratuities.

You think this situation is bad for the passengers, I am sure it is much worse for the crew and add to that not getting paid for it. I for one would be infuriated if I was in their shoes. Even with carnival paying them or not for this entire ordeal, I would make sure that at least the people that took care of me for those 3 days get paid.

I truly feel for the crew and I can only imagine their situation at this point.

CBS news reported passengers had been confined to public spaces but the sewage system to the forward part of the ship had been restored. They also said the tug was moving them at 3mph (they may have said knots, but I really think they said mph) and they would reach Mobile sometime on Thursday. I'm sure Carnival's first priority is the safety of the passengers and crew. My heart goes out to all those on board. I am sure the conditions are miserable. Hopefully Carnival will make announcements soon on the number of future triumph cruises that must be cancelled.

At about 8:30 today, HLN with Robin Meade just did a phone interview with a husband who's wife is aboard. She told him most of the negatives, but she generally was okay. Told about waiting 3 1/2 hours for food, sewerage in her cabin etc.

I've only read to this post so far, so this may have already been brought up, but there are reports from yesterday/today sewage is running down the walls. The smells must be horrifying. Ugh.

Someone smarter than me will have to explain why/how sewage is running down the walls. I suspect the news media is doing what the news media does...report unfounded "facts."

You see I am not entirely sure I agree with you, I understand how this is possibly the worst situation ever that one can be on vacation. But I can tell you that I for one would decline the reversal of the gratuities. Cruise lines are not know for paying well to their crew and it is well known that these people live mostly out of gratuities.

You think this situation is bad for the passengers, I am sure it is much worse for the crew and add to that not getting paid for it. I for one would be infuriated if I was in their shoes. Even with carnival paying them or not for this entire ordeal, I would make sure that at least the people that took care of me for those 3 days get paid.

Add to this the fact they will not be sailing again for how many weeks?

For all the folks who "will never sail Carnival again" or who have never sailed Carnival before and think this proves why they shouldn't:

What do you think YOUR preferred cruise line would do differently given the same circumstance? (IMHO, you're pretty much smoking crack if you think it couldn't happen on any line but CCL - and, no I'm not a cheerleader. I've cruised other lines more often than I have CCL)

I would also tip directly to ensure they were paid. The info about tips being refunded came from one of the several articles I read... i'm not going to go find it again but it is what prompted my post... i didn't make it up.

For all the folks who "will never sail Carnival again" or who have never sailed Carnival before and think this proves why they shouldn't:

What do you think YOUR preferred cruise line would do differently given the same circumstance? (IMHO, you're pretty much smoking crack if you think it couldn't happen on any line but CCL - and, no I'm not a cheerleader. I've cruised other lines more often than I have CCL)

I believe you are right. It is the rare cruise line (if any) that would respond any differently.

We don't like to give the government money that isn't required. It's simple really. I have been on several cruises and my wife on many many more than me. We don't have passports and we don't buy trip insurance (unless going in winter from here in the Northeast). We have never needed either.

We now have passport cards, only because we took a road trip to Canada this summer. And getting them was a nightmare because of our idiotic government. It's just so expensive to get them so when you don't really need them then the motivation simply isn't there.

I keep asking myself why there are so many Passport and Insurance police on CC. I swear you guys are getting commission or something. :D

What is so difficult about getting a passport? It's easier than getting a drivers license.

By the way, no one "needs" insurance. Until they need it.

Because many Americans are lazy and do not want to take the (little)time it takes to apply for one

i beg to differ. if people don't have to have a passport to cruise, why get one. if said people don't think they will be flying to another country there is not an incentive attached. make passports mandatory and people will comply. anyone who drives a car (or most everyone) gets a license.

It looks to me that Carnival is doing what they can in a bad situation. At least the passengers are safe. Everyone on board deserves the extra days for their reward status X 1000 IMHO. That they have to deal with all the "crap" they're living with till Thursday is depressing. I hope they're finding ways to make the best of it. It will be interesting to see how fast the ship is repaired and restored to service. From what I've read, so far it's only missing the next 2 sailings.

Because many Americans are lazy and do not want to take the (little)time it takes to apply for one

admittedly I am one of those "lazy" Americans and always tend to procrastinate until right before I cruise...then think "wow...wish I had a passport." I can thankfully say...that as of a few weeks ago I have a passport and am ready to set sail this Saturday. I have little fear of anything going wrong...and if it does...oh WELL! It's a risk you take living life. Things happen...things go wrong. You take the good and the bad as they come.

But YAY to having a passport now!

Nicely stated

i must admit reading this thread this morning has been way more fun than watching my early morning news. i've learned all about tugboats, the coast guard, maritime law, passports and passport cards, electrical circuitry, and way more about the elimination habits of humans than i care to know. i've also learned about how human waste will eventually lead to the sinking of the ship, that passenger convenience should dictate the tugging of a ship against wind and current direction, that food police are necessary to control the savage instincts of human beings, that sheets and blankets draped over chairs to provide some privacy for people sleeping on deck are tents, and that a passenger's husband is getting his 15 minutes of fame by taking advantage of the misery of 4000 passengers.

i've also learned that thousands of people are predicted never to cruise carnival again as they are trying to find ways to re-book for their cancelled cruises. i've learned that some people are more concerned about if people on the ship are getting more days towards their platinum status (heaven forbid that someone is getting something for free). i've learned that solar panels should be on every ship even though their use in the regular world has proven to be to inconvenient, heavy, expensive, and rarely worth the effort.

i've learned that an incident on one ship proves that all ships owned by a company are suspect and should not be allowed to sail, that those sailing without passports deserve their fate and should have their debarkation slowed for the benefit of those that actually paid for a passport. i've learned that the cruiseline is holding their passengers hostage, gee just throw them all into rafts and lifeboats and have them paddle their way to land.

oh, and the best, gossip rags information repeated a gazillion times by other blogs posing as legitimate news sources carries much more weight than press releases posted on legitimate sites. and now i'm off to have breakfast with my gorgeous french model i met online.

Archived