Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I'd like to think that Carnival has arranged for one awesome BBQ, additional bathrooms and hand sanitizers ready and waiting in Mobile for when the ship arrives for 5,000 people (3,427 Pass & 1,100 crew).

Perhaps they also might want to re-think their commercials. The one where the people are relaxed while on the ships and jump to their previous vacation where they were freaking out...

That is a funny commercial,

Maybe the parks department, or "Yellow Stone" or KOA should make their own, showing people huddled in tents, with little homemade outhouse pottys around, eating and fighting all over, and at the end have a family sitting around a nice camp site saying "never again"

Not wanting to be overly pessimistic, but at what point (with dodgy sanitation, little clean water, little chance of washing, and people living close together in areas not being cleaned) does a cholera epidemic begin?

The ship must be like the black hole of Calcutta. Imagine the stench..........

I hope the CDC has someone on board monitoring this.

A cholera epidemic is almost impossible unless an infected person contaminated the water supply and the supply was not sanitized. Since cholera is quite uncommon in the U.S., and since an infected person would almost certainly be showing clinical signs at this point, and since there apparently is no circulating water supply on the Triumph, and since if the water supply WERE operating normally, their sanitation procedures would most likely kill the bacteria...well...the chances of that happening aboard the Triumph are almost nil. The infected person would have to poop in water someone else would then drink, and there apparently is no circulating water on the Triumph right now. Vibrio cholera, the bacteria that causes the disease, is not part of normal human intestinal flora, like E. coli is.

Like everyone else here, I have no firsthand knowledge of what is going on aboard the Triumph. But I would think/hope that, even if they could pump water to the faucets, they would not do so unless the sanitation system were also working.

Where is the Californian?

That Captain Lord! He's pretty darned sneaky.

900 people on the ship don't have them and that is part of the reason that they are not disembarking in mexico. Adding more days on the ship.

You really think that? Please provide a source. That's pretty funny in any case. To believe it is as we.

I just saw on The Today Show, part of the reason the decision was made to tow the ship to Mobile instead of Mexico was it will be easier to get the 900 passengers without passports home. You know the 2200 passengers with passports are upset with the 900 that didn't have them. They have to endure one more day on an disabled ship with deteriorating conditions.

The today show Really? NBC is well known for sensationalism, the truth is they have a drydock for repairs in Mobile so Carnival is making the people suffer not the non-passport people. By the way look at CARNIVALS rules, you don't need a passport for close looped cruises, so those people should be mad at Carnival because they don't require a passport.

There is a difference between a Pt transfer and supplies.

And If I was on the transfer it wouldnt have been done with a gangway and the Pt would have been in a stokes not a gurney.

Looked like a rolling bed type of thing to me, might be the wrong name of equipment. But still happended

The luggage part was kind of funny, because it was not really carried, but tossed from one to the other.

You can see a door open where tenders would drop off supplies, seas are negligible, bright sunny day, even looks like a wisp of smoke comng from the stack. I imagine people on the top deck are taking pictures of the USCG ship.

It's taking forever to read the pertinant posts. The photo of a day in paradise can deceive. After all we cannot see the hardship of living on a cot. The open deck can certainly be wonderful, the sunburn without sunscreen can be painful.

I truly empathize with everyone on board the Triumph, the travellers and the crew. I hope that this will only be a distant memory soon.

Emi

The today show Really? NBC is well known for sensationalism, the truth is they have a drydock for repairs in Mobile so Carnival is making the people suffer not the non-passport people. By the way look at CARNIVALS rules, you don't need a passport for close looped cruises, so those people should be mad at Carnival because they don't require a passport.

Agree and suspect Carnival may be reconsidering that rule.

If you can't comfortably afford the cost of passports, you probably should keep your butt at home. JMHO

Afford it has nothing to do with it. Maybe your cruising once. Carnival allows birth certificates on closed loop cruises. So your anger should be towards Carnival and not the passengers. Passport people are so funny it's ridiculous, Carnival are the ones that allow non-passport people to travel on their cruise(closed loop) so Take your passport fetish up with Carnival.

Afford it has nothing to do with it. Maybe your cruising once. Carnival allows birth certificates on closed loop cruises. So your anger should be towards Carnival and not the passengers. Passport people are so funny it's ridiculous, Carnival are the ones that allow non-passport people to travel on their cruise(closed loop) so Take your passport fetish up with Carnival.

Really though, maybe you are only flying to England once. You still need a passport. I don't think only needing it once is a legitimate reason not to get one. I do agree that Carnival (and most other lines that currently support the closed loop rule) is culpable for the passport situation though, not the individual passenger. If you require it, they will get it.

Bungee cords connecting to the other cruise ship alongside could be used like a zipline to transfer passengers. Carnival might even be able to charge for this like an excursion. They would just need to start the liquor flowing again and pax would be all over it. Totally feasible and safe. :D

This is the best post on this entire tread!

Looked like a rolling bed type of thing to me, might be the wrong name of equipment. But still happended

The luggage part was kind of funny, because it was not really carried, but tossed from one to the other.

It sounds like they used a gurney but a stokes shoud have been used

It makes for an easier, lighter transfer and the Pt is secured better.

Tossing the luggage is the same way they do the supplies

The Triumph has not been reporting position through AIS since early yesterday. The AIS system is what most tracking information online uses. One can only assume this is to save electricity for other vital onboard services, since the Coast Guard is within eye sight I can see them doing this. When a ship hasn't reported in awhile sometimes the system will spit out old data.

I don't think that is a valid assumption at all. The ship may well be transmitting or not. There really is no reason for it to transmit.

However, the second part of the equation is that there have to be receivers within range of the ship and the receivers are mostly land based. It is quite common for ships at sea to be out of range of receivers - especially those offered on free sites.

That is a funny commercial,

Maybe the parks department, or "Yellow Stone" or KOA should make their own, showing people huddled in tents, with little homemade outhouse pottys around, eating and fighting all over, and at the end have a family sitting around a nice camp site saying "never again"

I love it! So true...I know I would certainly prefer camping to what everyone on the Triumph is dealing with right now.

Hoping they do in fact make it to Mobile tomorrow!

While I have backed down from my Passport policing of 5 years ago and don't really care what others do I will say I have had the experience of being in a foreign country without a passport and don't desire to ever repeat it. That is honestly the reason I will always have one when I cruise

And thats your choice. I have been in many foreign countries and have never had one problem. Because you had a problem doesn't mean someone else will. Yes I was in the military but have also traveled non-military.

I heard that also, sure sounded like when asked about the conditions of the passengers on the ship, when he said they had not boarded, like he was saying "were not getting on the ship, unless we really have to" he did not say it, but it seamed like he thought it.

He tried to deflect any questions that would be a judgement as opposed to pure fact.

Absolutely, that would be possible. No doubt. However, there is a martime rule that says the ship, itself, is the prefered life boat. First priority is to ensure safety of passengers and crew on the ship, if possible. Only when loss of the ship is looming should passengers be evacuated into life boats. Since, for the time being, there is no threat to the ship, there is no cause to transfer the passengers to another ship.

I know it sucks for them, but keeping them on the Triumph is the best course.

Thank you for a good, (not snarky) response, it is a rare thing on CC, and I have been sucked into the snarky responses today, I appologize for them.

Anger? Fetish? Are you sure you meant to quote me? Not angry at all. I could care less who travels with a passport. I am into knee high leather strapped boots with an 8" heel, not passports!

Just stating that if the cost of a passport is to much, then you shouldn't be on a cruise. Nothing more, nothing less.

Now where is the Mrs, and her boots?

Bungee cords connecting to the other cruise ship alongside could be used like a zipline to transfer passengers. Carnival might even be able to charge for this like an excursion. They would just need to start the liquor flowing again and pax would be all over it. Totally feasible and safe. :D

I like it, that's even better than the helicoptor one:D

This thread is so similar to the thread from the Splendor it is awesome... Thousands of posts, very few with any real information. Lots of pure speculation and baseless accusations... The truth is unknown and will likely stay that way until the ship is docked (depending on how many still have batteries in their phones)... When the Splendor docked, CNN was live on scene and kept asking people about the awful conditions. 14 out of every 15 people had nothing but good things to say about the crew and their performance and their interviews were immediately terminated. There are now video diaries from people on the Splendor and lots of reviews and we can accurately put together many of the facts... Patience is needed when waiting for answers in difficult situations... Hopefully all onboard are able to stay safe for the remainder of this voyage.

Archived