Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

The only way I could see them transferring passengers is if they had a ship of the same class come along side and with fenders tie off to the Triumph and take the Triumph into a alongside tow. They would have to bring a gangway up to the open deck and then while moving take all passengers off. This would still be potentially dangerous depending on the sea conditions as the rise and fall of the 2 ships could possibly get out of step.

However the size of the vessels in question would most likely prevent this from happening and I am sure the crew and even master of the vessels would have almost no experience in this technique. And even if they did try something that daring they most likely would not allow non-essential luggage to be brought from one ship to another. Back when I was in the Coast Guard We used to do something similar to this when I was stationed on a Buoy Tender we would have a barge load of buoys. We would move equipment and personnel back and forth from the barge and the Cutter. Yet we knew what we were doing not like 3000+ untrained inexperienced passengers.

There is a huge difference between the CGC RED CEDAR and a modern day cruise ship. RED CEDAR was 157' long and had flat sides. Triumph is 893' long and is adorned with glass balconies and life boats. Coming alongside with another cruise ship is not possible.

To the poster who let us know that Gerry will be holding a press conference tonight: I will not be home until late and would like to DVR it. Can you tell me which networks will be broadcasting Gerry's "State of the Union?"

Sorry for laughing but that was funny. :D

I think it sounds like a mix of Carnival's official statement and things reporters have read here.

Carnival has said that an added benefit to drifting closer to the Mobile port was that it would be easier for the 900 passengers currently on board without passports. Add to it something I read gobs of posts ago about how the other 2200 passengers should be upset about an extra day to get to Mobile (even though it would still take that long, if not longer, to tow the ship to Progreso against the currents IMO).

Adding a thanks to ducklite, so I'm not adding an off-topic post again. :p

Yes, a benefit, but hardly a cause. Yet still not mentioned, but someone hit on it, chartered flights vs chartered buses. $$

I watched a CNN report this morning that was high comedy. The reporter looked soooooo stern and worried. Yeah right.... the sharks in the media are having a field day with this. Just wait until the ship hits shore, they will be all over the place.

but really the media has become the biggest joke....anything to blow the story up....

Just heard CNN saying that there are over 4000 passengers on board. Yes, trust CNN for all the facts.

This thread is so similar to the thread from the Splendor it is awesome... Thousands of posts, very few with any real information. Lots of pure speculation and baseless accusations... The truth is unknown and will likely stay that way until the ship is docked (depending on how many still have batteries in their phones)... When the Splendor docked, CNN was live on scene and kept asking people about the awful conditions. 14 out of every 15 people had nothing but good things to say about the crew and their performance and their interviews were immediately terminated. There are now video diaries from people on the Splendor and lots of reviews and we can accurately put together many of the facts... Patience is needed when waiting for answers in difficult situations... Hopefully all onboard are able to stay safe for the remainder of this voyage.

@airmj2123-

I was thinking the same thing... Well said, however posters here and on other sources still seem to want to add their voice to the insanity. It'll be much better after the ship is docked and the less vocal are heard from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

By my calculations, that means you two bring in about 312k a year. If you are making 312k a year, you are doing something seriously wrong with your finances if 5 days wages would put you in the hole.

Further more, if you were only making 50k a year you are doing something wrong with your finances if 5 days would put you in the hole.

Even more, if loosing 5 days of work would put you in a hole, you shouldn't be on a cruise in the first place.

Ohhhh snap!!!!!:p

By my calculations, that means you two bring in about 312k a year. If you are making 312k a year, you are doing something seriously wrong with your finances if 5 days wages would put you in the hole.

Further more, if you were only making 50k a year you are doing something wrong with your finances if 5 days would put you in the hole.

Even more, if loosing 5 days of work would put you in a hole, you shouldn't be on a cruise in the first place.

I'm talking about in the hole on what CCL is offering for reimbursement. Someone was saying there would be money leftover and people should use that to buy passports. In our case there would be no money left over after accounting for the extra week of lost work. "In the hole" was referring specifically to the cost of the extra five days of unplanned vacation versus what CCL is giving back, not our overall financial situation.

I'm talking about in the hole on what CCL is offering for reimbursement. Someone was saying there would be money leftover and people should use that to buy passports. In our case there would be no money left over after accounting for the extra week of lost work. "In the hole" was referring specifically to the cost of the extra five days of unplanned vacation versus what CCL is giving back, not our overall financial situation.

Gotcha!

Carry on folks. Comprehension skills need a little fine tuning on my part.

Sorry

And thats your choice. I have been in many foreign countries and have never had one problem. Because you had a problem doesn't mean someone else will. Yes I was in the military but have also traveled non-military.

You’ve flown back into the US from a foreign country and have never had a problem on either side?

Yes, a benefit, but hardly a cause. Yet still not mentioned, but someone hit on it, chartered flights vs chartered buses. $$

I would imagine that chartering a plane for an international flight would cost 100 times (if not more) the cost of chartering buses to accommodate the same number of people.

Only a single comment....I am amazed at the lack of vocabulary demonstrated by so many people when it comes to bodily functions. Its urine and excrement. And you don't piss and pee' date=' or poop. d.[/quote']

MMMMMM, no. Its pee and poop here in my castle. Ever since the kiddies were peeing and pooping in their diapers, its been pee and poop.

Sorry, not everyone uses the terms you use.

Makes one wonder if the ship could be turned away due to its condition.

I doubt it although I suspect the CDC won't allow it to take on new passengers without a full inspection, and that we'll see people in Tyvek suits, muck boots, safety glasses, and respirators as part of the clean up crew.

Well, I'm not sure "we" should be concerned, but CCL should absolutely be reimbursing people for lost wages/vacation time.

There should be a concern for people who might lose because they weren't at work.

and that will translate, and rightly so, into lawsuits

those who may lose their jobs

those who become ill due to sanitary issues

those who become ill due to not having their meds

kids who are missing school because this cruise was just suppossed to be a long weekend not a weeklong cruise

the list go on and on and I am not a litigious type by any means

but

what I have gathered here is that Carnival knew very well that this ship was not running properly but still took the risk/chance with this cruise

thus,

no matter how you look at it, they are totally responsible for this debacle and will have to pay for it

pain and sufferring/punitive damages, I would think.

This is worse than the Splendor fire, because the Triumph had been acting up and Carnival knew about it

The Splendor was an accident (I think) but this was pure negligence on Carnival's part.

They knew they were sending an unsafe ship full of pax out to sea.

There is a huge difference between the CGC RED CEDAR and a modern day cruise ship. RED CEDAR was 157' long and had flat sides. Triumph is 893' long and is adorned with glass balconies and life boats. Coming alongside with another cruise ship is not possible.

I admit I had not looked closely at the superstructure of the Triumph, and yes with the layout of the balconies, bridge, and what I presume is the lido deck it does appear that it would not work. Being that the Triumph is over 700’ longer than the Cedar, its size would also most likely prohibit my previously mentioned maneuver.

I humbly stand corrected.

So I will go to work now, and leave you with this question;

Where is Jon Heald during all of this, in 105+ pages I have not read one post about him or his blog or facebook page telling everyone things are fine, and everyone is happy and getting strawberrys and champaign

If one reads his faebook and blog all is indeed well and these posts on CC are all wrong and not reliable In his blog nothing can be said anti-carnival since his groupies (many who cruise every month and also have his private e-mail) will attack anyone daring to criticize what is happening.It is a sad situation over there and also on the ship I'm sure Carnival is handling it the best they can. I think JH is in over his head with his faithfull followers as he genuinely tries to help people but his favorites have turned me off with their remarks and that is enough not to cruise with Carnival and be around them even though Carnival has always produced a good cruise for us Perhaps they should fly him to the Triumph for PR reasons.

Archived