Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Weeks? Surely this is a typo. The ship was due in Galveston on Monday.

For people who live in Houston, they would have been able to be at work on Monday if they went directly from the cruise. I have friends here in Florida who regularly get off a ship and go to work from the port. So yes, it could be a full week of lost wages for some people.

are all re-called cars forced off the highways, and many are re-called for proven defects? are all airlines grounded when one of their planes crash due to mechanical reasons? (we all know of airlines that are flying fatally flawed equipment).

See Boeing 787 issues with batteries that are ALL now grounded at this time (except for testing without passengers). So my answer to you is, yes.

For people who live in Houston, they would have been able to be at work on Monday if they went directly from the cruise. I have friends here in Florida who regularly get off a ship and go to work from the port. So yes, it could be a full week of lost wages for some people.

And they could also take the bus straight back to Galveston and make work by Friday.

The issues of engine room failures and procedural errors (Concordia) by CCL certainly casts shadows over the safety procedures and policies in place and followed by this company whether real or imagined.

One possible way to deal with these issues and the PR problems that now overhang CCL would be to do a complete safety stand down on all vessels in the fleet. This would mean canceling cruises and a ship-by-ship and corporate wide review of policies, maintenance, and compliance.

This is not cheap but how many more or these incidents can be tolerated by the consumer before CCL becomes a "sail at your own risk" type of experience no matter what the compensation.

As far as I know Carnival Cruise Lines operations and Costa Cruises operations are separate and distinct. Each is a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation & plc.

Suggesting that ninety odd vessels in the CCL, Costa Cruises, Holland America, Princess, Cunard, Seaborn, Ibero Cruceros, P&O Cruises, Aida Cruises, and P&O Australia fleets seems like an overreaction. It's an action that is sure to cost a lot of money and result in a very small return - only two of the subsidiaries have had any serious issues with accidents.

are all re-called cars forced off the highways, and many are re-called for proven defects? are all airlines grounded when one of their planes crash due to mechanical reasons? (we all know of airlines that are flying fatally flawed equipment).

Airlines can be and are grounded (or refused entry to US airspace) when it's found that their maintenance doesn't meet US standards. Additionally the government can ground specific types of aircraft when a fleet defect is suspected or discovered. The recent grounding of the Dreamliner is a prime example.

Welcome!

.... Gotta love the media. Watched the news this morning of a crowd on the top deck, looking out to the ocean (probably looking at all the media boats), casually holding the railing of the ship. Newscaster says "And the passengers are clinging to the railings" !!

The media is just looking for lots of drama, I read a headline on-line that said, Cruise Ship Sinking. I think this is awlful. Can you imagine people who saw this article and had friends and family aboard. The article went on about the fire, but to put 'sinking' in the headline is uncalled for.

I have something I'd like you all to think about...

While it's incredible and a bit scary that there have been two similar incidents in a roughly two-year period (Splendor and Triumph) I think Carnival has demonstrated that they did at least learn something from the Splendor fire.

It was FIVE HOURS after the explosion on Splendor before the Captain finally manually activated the carbon dioxide fire suppression system in the engine room... and when he did activate it, there were major malfunctions with the system. (I read the US Coast Guard report on the lessons learned.)

This time the system activated immediately... and it worked. That's a big deal, and I think it probably shows that after the Splendor incident they did some serious training (and probably some preventive maintenance) on the fire suppression system.

And one other thing...

I think I may be able to explain the "onion sandwich" thing. I think it's a little bit of a misunderstanding, much like the Spam thing was on Splendor. I read (somewhere, sorry I can't remember where) that there was a gigantic (like four hour) line for hamburgers on the Triumph on Monday. Unfortunately, they eventually ran out of hamburger patties and all that was left was everything else for the hamburgers... buns, onions, tomatoes, pickles, etc.

That part I read... the rest is my interpretation of what probably happened...

After waiting in line for hours, people weren't just going to go away empty handed once the meat ran out, so they made themselves meatless hamburgers... or as one passenger put it "onion sandwiches". It was an unfortunate choice of words, which got picked up by the media... and when we all heard it we imagined that Carnival was intentionally serving sandwiches made simply of bread and onions... but actually it was just people hoping to get a hamburger but who were too far back in line to get one while there was still meat.

See Boeing 787 issues with batteries that are ALL now grounded at this time (except for testing without passengers). So my answer to you is, yes.

I actually flew on one of those from Lax to IAH in dec. The middle part of first class(i got upgraded FF)was having electrical issues

TheFA's had to maually roll the chairs up and down and their TVs didnt work.

Besides that the plane resonates while the plane taxis

Other than that the plane is awesome.

The WC is almost the size of a cruise ship head without the shower

You could turn around without hitting a wall.

The overhead bins were really easy to use

I look foward to flying on it again after they get the bugs out.

I was going to try to book it for our TA my GF said no:o

The issues of engine room failures and procedural errors (Concordia) by CCL certainly casts shadows over the safety procedures and policies in place and followed by this company whether real or imagined.

\.

Ships are subject to "Port State Control" do some research on this and you will see how this addresses some of the issues you raise

Best Regards

John Fisher RN Retired

The reports about the food are what I find kind of the most shocking and negligent. I know that there isn't much Crew can do about things like leaking toilets and no AC and all of that, they can't magically make all of that work. But as far as food goes, what kind of absolutely stupid person thinks it's a good idea to just put out food buffet style for angry, hot people who haven't been able to shower or wash up and just trust that people will be reasonable? I really hope that not just Carnival but all other cruise lines are taking notes because it's not just a morale issue but a health one, letting dirty people at the front of the line paw over all of the food is a really great way to add norovirus on top of the other stuff. This cruise sounds like the cruise from hell.

Week = 1, Weeks >= 2.

As far as I know Carnival Cruise Lines operations and Costa Cruises operations are separate and distinct. Each is a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation & plc.

Suggesting that ninety odd vessels in the CCL, Costa Cruises, Holland America, Princess, Cunard, Seaborn, Ibero Cruceros, P&O Cruises, Aida Cruises, and P&O Australia fleets seems like an overreaction. It's an action that is sure to cost a lot of money and result in a very small return - only two of the subsidiaries have had any serious issues with accidents.

Safety and the attitude towards safety comes from the top down in a corporate system. If you feel they (Costa and Carnival) are separate episodes and are at a small cost ($80MM for this episode and $1B for the Costa) then I respect that but I would have a different opinion. You can then accept the "sail at your own risk" model when it comes to CCL ships and compensation for failed cruises is cheaper and easier than fixing the problem even if there is a loss of life (Concordia).

The reports about the food are what I find kind of the most shocking and negligent. I know that there isn't much Crew can do about things like leaking toilets and no AC and all of that, they can't magically make all of that work. But as far as food goes, what kind of absolutely stupid person thinks it's a good idea to just put out food buffet style for angry, hot people who haven't been able to shower or wash up and just trust that people will be reasonable? I really hope that not just Carnival but all other cruise lines are taking notes because it's not just a morale issue but a health one, letting dirty people at the front of the line paw over all of the food is a really great way to add norovirus on top of the other stuff. This cruise sounds like the cruise from hell.

Maybe the crew saw adult passengers. Maybe the passengers acted like adults. Maybe it's only in the fact free cyberverse that they descended into savagery.

Me, I'm waiting to hear many more firsthand accounts.

Safety and the attitude towards safety comes from the top down in a corporate system. If you feel they (Costa and Carnival) are separate episodes and are at a small cost ($80MM for this episode and $1B for the Costa) then I respect that but I would have a different opinion. You can then accept the "sail at your own risk" model when it comes to CCL ships and compensation for failed cruises is cheaper and easier than fixing the problem even if there is a loss of life (Concordia).

Hi There,

Might I suggest that some research on maritime safety issues could be helpfull in understanding the procedures involved regarding ships safety http://www.maib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm might be a good place to start

Best regards

John Fisher RN retired

And they could also take the bus straight back to Galveston and make work by Friday.

It would depend on when you got off the ship, how long it took to clear customs, and how long you had to wait for a bus to leave. It's a 7.5 hour drive under ideal circumstances. I'm guessing that the last bus won't even leave the port until late afternoon--keep in mind there are no elevators for people or bags, and getting 3000+ people off that ship and cleared through CBP will be a long and arduous process. That puts it back in Galveston after midnight. Then one would still need to get in their car and drive home--which could be another two hours. After that they could finally disinfect themselves, burn their laundry, and fall into bed. Nope, I'm not seeing people being able to function at work on Friday.

CC isn't quite "anonymous". Many of the posters aren't new to CC. And the CC admin posted that they do validation with posters before including it to the news article. The alternative - that multiple CC members decided to fabricate similar things out of whole cloth - just is not credible.

You can believe what you want and I'm sure there are real people on here that do have friends and family on board. Personally I prefer to here it first-hand.

Maybe the crew saw adult passengers. Maybe the passengers acted like adults. Maybe it's only in the fact free cyberverse that they descended into savagery.

Me, I'm waiting to hear many more firsthand accounts.

Considering my sister is on the ship and I've heard her firsthand account, you'll forgive me for trusting her and believing what she's said. I think it's incredibly ignorant at best to trust that adults always "act like adults" (ever worked a service position? If so you should know how awful some adults can be) and just operate on that assumption, especially during a disaster like this. Lots of people are inherently selfish even at the best of times, not to mention it's not really the crew's duty first and foremost to trust that adults will behave appropriately, it's their duty to make sure all passengers are provided for to the best of their ability. Putting food out buffet style in a situation like this is beyond negligent, period.

First post. If this was posted already, forgive me. Joined to see the posts and photos that should start coming form the passengers on this cruise.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/13/opinion/walker-cruise-ships/index.html?eref=rss_mostpopular

Here is an interesting quote in the article.

The Triumph, sailing since 1999, will eventually end up being sold to the European market, renamed and abandoned as well.

I find this statement funny because Carnival is not going to sell the Triumph. If the Splendor wasn't sold, why would they sell the Triumph?

Because of this statement, I think this article looses some credibility.

It would depend on when you got off the ship, how long it took to clear customs, and how long you had to wait for a bus to leave. It's a 7.5 hour drive under ideal circumstances. I'm guessing that the last bus won't even leave the port until late afternoon--keep in mind there are no elevators for people or bags, and getting 3000+ people off that ship and cleared through CBP will be a long and arduous process. That puts it back in Galveston after midnight. Then one would still need to get in their car and drive home--which could be another two hours. After that they could finally disinfect themselves, burn their laundry, and fall into bed. Nope, I'm not seeing people being able to function at work on Friday.

I thought they got some elevators up and running. Did they go down again?

I find this statement funny because Carnival is not going to sell the Triumph. If the Splendor wasn't sold, why would they sell the Triumph?

Because of this statement, I think this article looses some credibility.

they wont sell the Triumph it will eventually be a new Sunshine class ship

Archived