Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Most everything I've seen on the "media" was a direct quote from people actually on the ship...and most of that was from Monday. It's 3 days later. I think it will be bad when we find out the truth. Hope everyone is reasonably well. Can't wait to hear the "real" story.

First Hand account from only passenger to get off. And what she knows was long days and nights ago.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/us/carnival-cruise-line-ship-triumph-towed-into-port.html?_r=0

Watching now. Land HO!

They say 5 PM.

A Jamie Baker is talking right now, who is on board. It sounds like someone is using a death ray on her.

She applauds the crew, but says communication has been horrid. The ship sounds like it is stilli listing.

Her toilet only worked for an hour, and has been using bags since.

I hope we get some decent reports, not just those reporting the worst of the worst. I know conditions are certainly not good, but those reporting are making it worse. Lordy, you'd think they were running ankle deep in waste. I'm sorry, but I do not believe they were serving only bread as one passenger reported. The bag stories will go on forever, but if you think about it, it may be humiliating, but it's the best answer to keep waste out of circulation.

Of course you've got the mom on the dock yesterday(it had to be yesterday because it wasn't dark) waiting for the ship so she's available to pick up her child and be available for interviews by ALL news people. Kind of jumping the gun as the ship is still at sea.

The today show just talked to a woman who is actually on the Triumph. Guess they have cell service now. She said conditions were really bad BUT she didn't mention sewage running down any walls and I think if that was happening she would have mentioned it. She said there was food (sandwiches) and lines were long to get it. They asked her about any working toilets but she really didn't answer that. She said hers worked one day for about an hour but had not worked since. They were going in bags. She also said the smell was horrible.

Interesting to actually hear from someone who is on board. Oh and she mentioned that the crew was being wonderful to everyone.

Passengers' stay in Alabama will be limited, Carnival said in a statement late Wednesday. The company said passengers were being given the option of boarding buses directly to Galveston, Texas, or Houston, or spending the night in a hotel in New Orleans, where the company said it booked 1,500 rooms. Those staying in New Orleans will be flown Friday to Houston. Carnival said it will cover all the transportation costs.

Mobile Mayor Sam Jones said late Wednesday that the city has more than enough hotel rooms to accommodate passengers and its two airports are near the cruise terminal.

"We raised the issue that it would be a lot easier to take a five-minute bus ride than a two-hour bus ride" to New Orleans, Jones said, adding that he did not know the company's reasoning. Jones said Carnival employees will be staying in Mobile.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/02/14/disabled-carnival-cruise-ship-had-prior-mechanical-trouble-on-january-voyage/?test=latestnews#ixzz2KsNhnBlx

If Mobile has "more than enough" rooms to accomadate these passengers , then it can only be some "corporate" decision ( in other words PROFIT over PEOPLE) that has made Carnival decide that their passengers wellbeing is secondary to Carnival's "bottom line." What is Carnival thinking? Forget basic humanity , this just intensifies their ongoing PR disaster. IfI were on that ship, or had a loved one on that ship...and heard that we could have been accomadated in Mobile, I would be livid. And I would shout it from all media "rooftops."

This is inexcusable.

This is absolutely OBSCENE on so many levels. I hope this is covered widely in the press.

I hope we get some decent reports, not just those reporting the worst of the worst. I know conditions are certainly not good, but those reporting are making it worse. Lordy, you'd think they were running ankle deep in waste. I'm sorry, but I do not believe they were serving only bread as one passenger reported. The bag stories will go on forever, but if you think about it, it may be humiliating, but it's the best answer to keep waste out of circulation.

Of course you've got the mom on the dock yesterday(it had to be yesterday because it wasn't dark) waiting for the ship so she's available to pick up her child and be available for interviews by ALL news people. Kind of jumping the gun as the ship is still at sea.

I know I'm sure they wish they had direct lines to these passengers. And I wonder who the passengers contact.

But hopefully they are contacting their loved ones first!

The Coast Guard is there, with the ship, has been since Monday. IF the conditions were as bad as the news is making it sound – the Coast Guard would order the evacuation of the ship!!!

The Coast Guard is the ruling authority. If they thought it would be safer to transfer the passengers off the ship than to leave them on the ship – they would have ordered it.

You are correct that the CG is the ruling authority, but I have not yet heard a report that was life threatening. Sewage in hallways, long lines for bread, etc, are deplorable conditions, but not life threatening. So while I do believe a lot of that is true, I also know the CG would not order a ship evacuation for mere uncomfortable conditions.

Don't know how they plan to disembark in an orderly fashion but it sounds like there may be more than a few with serious medical issues to attend to immediately...

I have my doubts about a 45 degree list... I'm sure there is some listing but 45 degrees seems exaggerated (as mentioned by Jamie Baker onboard)... I'm sure it FEELS like 45 but...

I keep reversing the interview but I don't hear her say anything about a 45 degree list. Nor do any pix show a 45 degree list.

I just think there are too many damn people on each ship.....doesnt matter which line. 2000 would be fine, but its about money, industry wide. Ships aren't getting smaller, there getting bigger.

A fire at sea sux...I hate to what if....but if this fire had not been contained to that one engine room, we probably would be talking about deaths instead of no showers.

The whole industry need to look at a mass casualty happening and deciding if that worth the the bottom dollar line. So far in 3 very serious incidents, only 32 people have died....when it gets up into the hundreds or thousands, then they may take notice.

billd

I have to agree. The largest ship we've been on was the Disney Dream, and it was just too large. If the Allure or Oasis ever had a fire, there's no way that anyone can convince me that they'll get 8000+ souls off a burning and possibly sinking ship in time. Sure, in perfect scenarios in a "lab" situation, but in an emergency where people are panicking, parents are trying to find their kids, no way.

I was on the Monarch of the Seas on that cruise. No hotel for us, we were dropped off with 400 other passangers at a community center in the middle of nowhere. No RCCL staff at all. Cabs would drop off food. That was a long 2 days.

I would have taken one of those cabs to the airport or at least a hotel and gotten teh hell out of that situation. Sometimes you need to help yourself.

I keep reversing the interview but I don't hear her say anything about a 45 degree list. Nor do any pix show a 45 degree list.

It's there... When she's talking about sleeping with her life vest on... Just after the tomato mayo sandwiches and her praise of the crew:)

There was an interview of a woman played on morning radio down here. I'm not sure what network was running it....ABC maybe. She did say the ship was listing at a 45 degree angle. A few other points she mentioned:

1. There were broken sewage pipes and many rooms had sewage backed up on the floor.

2. They had to use their trash cans as toilets, then transfer the bags to larger collection bags in the hallways.

3. 4 hour waits for food that consisted of only bread, mayonaise, and tomatoes.

4. The only lighting was the emergency lighting strips in the hallways.

On a good note, she also said the crew was doing a great job, considering the situation.

This is the closest figures I have seen for what Carnival has offered to reimburse passengers for their inconvenience:

Figuring for 2 people in an average cabin:

Cost of cruise with gratuities, taxes and port fees $1000.00.

Average 4 day bar bill for two. $ 192.00

Cost for non-reimbursable excursions or transportation $ 200.00

Credit for future cruise of the same cost. $1000.00

Cash $1000.00

TOTAL $3392.00

Naturally, this is just averages and some will get much more while a few will get less.

And this does not include what it will cost Carnival to house people in hotels and their bus and air fare back home which will probably be quite a few hundred dollars more.

Not sure where you get a four day bar tab, they got on Thursday afternoon and the fire happened Sunday morning--that's 2.5 days.

Now take out the costs that people will incur for things like additional days of pet sitting/boarding, their lost wages, their travel insurance, etc. The "credit credit" will still cost you to use it. There is nothing "free" about it. Bottom line, most people are still going to have financial loss that Carnival isn't taking care of.

Per the news article cited in another post, they are franmchisees and executives. I bet they do not lose any of their pay.

Franchisees are self-employed. With the owners not there, they will be paying OT to their managers to pick up the slack. So they will have out of pocket expenses that are not being covered by Carnival. I suspect that McDonald's is not at all pleased with CCL right about now.

But then they could not be taking the pictures that so many posts here have hoped would be posted when possible.

Do you think people don't have cameras with them? The batteries in my cameras will last for over 1500 photos, even if I leave them turned on for two weeks or longer.

Archived