Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

CNN is reporting that Triumph has only managed about 80 miles in the last 20 or so hours. Right now she is still some 60 miles from Mobile and facing 25 mph winds out of the north west. According to the report Triumph has told the harbor pilot to expect them around 12:30 pm. The pilot will meet the ship some 30 miles from the pier said the report. If current conditions remain that would mean an early evening arrival.

Apparently Triumph has been experiencing some weather including a storm. My stomach is heaving just contemplating the rough ride.

Which may be the reason for sending out additional tugs.

Here's the latest from the NYT. First words I've heard from the person who was taken off: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/us/carnival-cruise-line-ship-triumph-towed-into-port.html?hp

Thanks! I did not even think about possible pregnant women aboard. I hope they're quarantining themselves as best as they can!

yes, but mom let her go, and dad thought enough of her to take her and spend time with her.

True. But, in defense of those moms, even though the kids are with the dads, they are still apparently frightened and have cried out for their moms too. What kind of parent (not necessarily exclusively a mother) sits home while this is happening instead of getting there for when the ship comes in? I'm sure those kids love their father. But, that doesn't mean the first thing they'll want to do when they debark is hug their mom.

Remember this was a four day booze crooze on its last night before the. fire.

Probably a good deal of the vomiting and sleeping in the hallways would have occured in the normal course of such a themed cruise anyhow

What a senseless, thoughtless comment. That's really cruel.

These folks just can't catch a break... From CNN:

Rough weather overnight slowed the Triumph and the three tugboats leading it to Mobile, Alabama, and the ship is now expected to arrive at the port by 7 p.m. (8 p.m. ET), according to an official brief on plans for the ship's recovery. It had been expected as early as 3 p.m.

When an option that a reasonable person would find acceptable. I don't believe that a reasonable person would find what CCL is currently offering for transportation acceptable.

I don't like it, but it's not unreasonable. There's no way insurance pays out in this case.

CNN is reporting that Triumph has only managed about 80 miles in the last 20 or so hours. Right now she is still some 60 miles from Mobile and facing 25 mph winds out of the north west. According to the report Triumph has told the harbor pilot to expect them around 12:30 pm. The pilot will meet the ship some 30 miles from the pier said the report. If current conditions remain that would mean an early evening arrival.

Apparently Triumph has been experiencing some weather including a storm. My stomach is heaving just contemplating the rough ride.

Ugh. Those poor people. I tend to get queasy with the normal, every-day motion of the ship and can't imagine what they are going through with additional wind and storms. :(

for those thinking Mobile would be the best place to stay Thursday night, you should read the online reviews of their available hotel space. I found 1 four star, a handful of 3 star, and an abundance of small 2 star.

carnival needs to have 1500 rooms for pax, 500 rooms for staff and crew, rooms for those working to get passengers off of the ship. i am sure concerned family members maybe booking another 100 to 200 rooms, media 50 rooms, and inspectors, etc. another 10 to 20 rooms. I figure this disaster, alone, would need about 2500 rooms in at least 3 star or better hotels along with restaurants to feed all of these passengers. Personally I don't think Mobile is equipped to handle this influx of people along with their regular clientele. just my opinion.

And the reason Mobile is not a regular embarkation port is because they do not have the infrastructure to handle ships carrying 3000 pax, a terminal to handle it or, I believe a pier long enough for most of the big ships. And obviously the town has not felt it worth their while to provide these services.

and, nowhere, have I not expressed concern for the passengers and crew. they deserve all my well wishes. but i do find the overly dramatic angst from others totally self-serving and majorly entitled. i'll allow that mothers and fathers of the under 18 on board have a right to be overly concerned, but all of the others seem to be more concerned about themselves and their sensibilities than the plight of their loved ones.

Having stayed in Mobile COUNTLESS times over the last 20 years I can assure you there are a NUMBER of nice hotels in the Mobile area. In FACT TA list 20 different hotels 4 star or greater.

How much different does an "infrastructure" need to be to handle a ship with 2600 pax(Elation) vs one with 3400 pax(Triumph)?

?????

I read the same...I assume they are going to try to accomplish customs and immigration on board before disembarkation. This is a complication they didn't face disembarking after the Splendor fire since that cruise never made it to a port.

I just had an odd thought. Imagine if someone chose this ship to be a stowaway from whereever it ported?

These folks just can't catch a break... From CNN:

Rough weather overnight slowed the Triumph and the three tugboats leading it to Mobile, Alabama, and the ship is now expected to arrive at the port by 7 p.m. (8 p.m. ET), according to an official brief on plans for the ship's recovery. It had been expected as early as 3 p.m.

It will be dark by then ~ again.

Which makes it all the more dangerous to dock with no power. :(

Written by someone with access to a toilet,food, a bed, and not breathing the stench of human waste. Some of these type comments are cheerleading, of course, which is a most puzzling phenomena to watch. Walk a mile in the shoes of those whose problems you so casually dismiss. What can there be about loyalty to a corporation that moves you to value it more than people? This thread is really a study in human nature.

I certainly hope these people sue, and if given the chance, I would compensate them generously. I do think there is a strange "jealously" about anyone getting anything "free" that permeates these type of comments. "I pay for my cruises, why should anyone get anything that I don't!"

There is an obscene lack of empathy in these posts. What gives any of us NOT enduring this ugliness the right to judge anything about how these passengers feel...or their families?

What would be the reason for the Mayor of Mobile to lie? Let the cruise line call his bluff, if thatis the case. NOTHING should be more important than these customers who have suffered intolerable conditions. . Let the CORPORATE folks stay an hour or two away and put these customers FIRST over the CORPORATION! Let THEM get up early for a day or two and make a long commute, so these passengers have the quickest access to rest, food and showers.

No one who is not experiencing RIGHT NOW the exact same conditions as these passengers has any right to make light of their situation. Personally, I wish we could charter a ship, put the Carnival executives making these decisions, and all these callous, sarcastic cheerleaders on it...and REPLICATE the exact conditions these folks are suffering. After YOU live it for as long as they have, then you may be as snide and dismissive as you please.

Well said +++

My point, of course, is that Mobile isn't going to burn that bridge, especially not when they have a massive unused cruise terminal.

You can also be sure they're going to make a pretty good chunk on this.

Speaking of that, what do you think a ~250 mile tow costs for a 100,000 ton dead ship?

I'm not saying that Mobile won't be happy about the income or will do anything to burn a bridge, but I also don't expect the red carpet rolled out to CCL execs.

No idea on the tow, but I can offer a little perspective. It costs roughly $6 a mile to transport 50,000 pounds on a flatbed over land.

one last thought.

none of the people leaving the ship are hostage to carnival. if they don't like the arrangements they are free to find their own rooms in mobile, a restaurant, a car rental agency, somewhere to buy clothes, and their own way home. for the most part these people are adults and have the capability of doing such. if they don't like how they are being treated they can just walk off of the ship and search for the nearest reporter to bitch to and to try and negotiate a nice hefty sum to appear on their programs and spill the beans.

wonder what people on board would have had awaiting them in Progresso if that had been their debark point and what kind of concern that would have raised amongst the cc crowd?

One thing for sure. The odd posts where people were proclaiming they would surely want to be on the Carnival PetrieDish just for the refund and the free cruise at the beginning have all but disappeared.

But will certainly live in infamy in Legend.

They have indeed - although some of the Carnival shills are still trying to spin things

any cams or live streams to watch the ship as it pulls into port for those at work without a tv

This one looks out over Mobile Bay. Don't know if it will show anything passing or not. It can be controlled by the user, so maybe we can zoom in if something is within sight.

From an earlier recap - "the overnight position of the ship was chosen exactly for the reason it is out of cell range. wonder how much money it cost for someone to make sure it is parked in the position that has no bars for a myriad of carriers."

I could almost believe this.....please assure me this is not true. Now hearing that they won't reach port until 7-8pm is just awful, and if CCL did anything to prolong this miserable cruise....

Archived