Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

First time poster here....I've been reading thru the posts regarding the Triumph........I was reading that they were 150 miles off the coast of the Yucatan. Couldn't they have towed the ship back to Cozumel, and flown everyone back to their port of call?

How many planes to fly 3,000+ passengers ? Who gets the first flight ? The second ? The third ?

Where do you house the thousand or so passengers who have to wait a few days for their flight ?

I'm sure there is some decent list but 45 degrees would have been visible in the flyovers that was done yesterday. It certainly wasn't apparent.

I thought they said there was a 45 degree list during the overnight storms, not a permanent list.

Newest flyby on CNN shows few people on deck again. I know it's chilly, but IMHO that indicates to me that there probably isn't sewage running in the hallways any more. If there were there's no way you'd keep me inside.

I would not be out on the open deck, I'd be on the deck(s) that is covered on top but open to the sides. Otherwise, I'd be fried by the sun. I imagine that is what many folks are doing. They are certainly not hanging out in their cabins without a/c.

Here's another FB post from someone who got a message from the ship...looks like the passengers aren't yet aware of how much their progress has been slowed by the weather conditions.:(

I FINALLY talked to my Mom Just now for the first time since she left for the cruise. Passengers are Able to Call and recieve calls! They should be off the boat in 4 hours!!!! She said everything is as bad as they are saying it is. "It's unbelievable" She says. People are stealing other peoples stuff. If she didnt have her friends with her she said she would not have made it, They all kept each other going! Im SOOOOO happy to hear she is ok!

That is very bad to hearing about the stealing. Hope she is able to get a good shower, food and bed quickly after getting off the ship.

Oh they have a CVB, but the CVB doesn't seem to run a centralized block booking system with direct feeds to hotel reservations (they may have one, I couldn't find it). Most CVBs don't except in large convention and tourist cities.

Your assertion that it MUST be for cost in that there could be no other option is specious, in fact you refute it. Since they have to move them again in NOLA as noted, any incremental savings would be eaten up by busing up to 3000 people there. Lets assume $20 per room savings, which is probably high (the holiday inn in Mobile is showing $89 so thats over 20 percent markdown). So for 1500 rooms, $30,000. Tour bus seats 40-50, you are going to need about 50 to be safe for a round trip plus cleaning, so lets say $500 per bus plus misc expenses, you will pay a premium to get that many. So that's $20-$25K right there.

So your contention they would do all that hassle for $5K in savings or so. Doubt it.

1. It's possible that they have a centralized system, it might not be online and available to the public.

2. The Motorcoaches they have chartered seat 55+2 or 57. CCL is paying much more than $500 each for them. That wouldn't even cover the fuel costs to get the buses to Mobile and then to NOLA and then back to where they are homed.

Watching CNN live. I'm loving this guy in the brown shirt in the back. He keeps asking "has anyone asked why the ship was allowed to sail in the first place?"

That's WMiller86 from here.....he's got an interview we CBS at noon! His wife is Kelly and in the group with Jamie Baker

Really, CNN? You bring on the guy who sued over Costa as your legal expert?

maybe have some of the legal experts on the sue thread interviewed instead? Apparently you only need a certificate in paralegal studies to handle the case as an expert lol. :p :confused: :p :confused:

People post say that the Triumph will be dock tomorrow???:confused:

they have now changed that and state that they are going to bring them in tonight, be it light or dark, if at all possible, and they are "close" to the buoy (though they never said what "close" meant)

You are allowed to bring one 750ml bottle of wine per adult and you can buy bottle of alchohol through the Bon Voyage service and have it delievered to your room.

They will not allow cargo ships that are fully functional into the harbor at night, they are not going to allow a wounded cruise ship with no power in either.

Any typical adult can drink a bottle of wine in six hours and not be legally intoxicated. I thought that the person I responded to indicated they had brought all their alcohol on with them, if I was wrong I'm sorry.

I thought they said there was a 45 degree list during the overnight storms, not a permanent list.

45 seems like it would have been difficult to recover from- wouldn't the ship just likely have gone down?

Besides which, there has been no report of the coast guard evacuating more injured people, and there is no way a 45 degree list wouldn't have caused some major injuries.

what exactly do you mean? From MY job? I use vacation time, so I technically get paid while on vacation. I guess I would lose those days, but I have plenty of time banked up. I guess it would suck for those with a strick vacation policy.

That vacation time has value--if you were to leave your company you'd be paid for unused time. Not everyone gets vacation time and not everyone has vacation days to burn.

I'm not using a public system to check..

And you proved my point. If it costs more to bus them to NOLA then they save in hotels, the cost argument goes out the window.

They said they couldn't get flights out of Mobile. That makes sense. Like I said before, there's resource constraints that sometime preclude the option you would think would be common sense.

1. It's possible that they have a centralized system, it might not be online and available to the public.

2. The Motorcoaches they have chartered seat 55+2 or 57. CCL is paying much more than $500 each for them. That wouldn't even cover the fuel costs to get the buses to Mobile and then to NOLA and then back to where they are homed.

I am sure CNN or Fox News will have an online stream... They had coverage of the Splendor arrival.

One network just had a heliocopter in the air showing Mobile Bay and saying "The ship is not in sight, but this is the bay they will use to get to port."

Nothing like having a reporter on a heliocpter watching the bay hours before the ship will even get there.

If that ship won't get to the coast till dark it'll be tomorrow before they dock and passengers get off, right? They said they won't dock in the dark.

There'll be a mutiny on that ship! Those poor folks. :(

Live video feed of the Triumph now if anyone missed it. Looks like one of the boats is bringing in more supplies; they zoomed in on it for a minute. They also zoomed in on the top deck of the Triumph and people came out to look at the helicopter shooting the video. The top deck was deserted; must be cold. People are coming out now. Some are holding signs on balconies but I can't read what they say. http://www.local15tv.com/content/livestream/default/Carnival-Triumph-Making-its-Way-To-Mobile/iAebEeXnhUyKqbAckjeFNQ.cspx

Yep, a chopper is taking supplies off one boat and taking them over to the Triumph and dropping them on the deck. Fascinating to watch. The water looks pretty calm...

Okay so it will have taken 4 days to get the Carnival Triumph safetly to port which is about 100k gross tons. I don't see anything logistically that indicates the Triumph could have been returned any sooner or faster to port. So what if this were ever to happen to a megaship of 150k to 200k gross tons like Oasis with 7k passengers and crew? And megaships are a growing trend?

P.S. CNN special this weekend "Cruise from Hell" ... Seriously??? Concordia definitely but Triumph maybe only the first circle if that.

Archived