Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Front the top more like 10. From a tender door, maybe 20 feet or so.

You havnt been on 2 many ships have you

Show me a 100,000 ton cruise ship that has its life boats 20 ft above the water line

So how close to shore will they have to be to get reliable cell service? I have read they are going to park them 50 miles off shore tonight and finish the trip into Mobile tommorow????

I would really like to talk to my wife and find out how she is doing!!!!!

Don't know their exact position and route obviously, but there is a decent chance the ship will pass within range of a cell tower somewhere off shore on the way into Mobile. There are quite a few offshore cell towers on oil rigs in the gulf. Some might be shocked by the roaming charges they get if they use it much (though not sure its worse than the roaming charges using the now dead onship cell coverage).

Gulf of Mexico Cell Tower Map:

http://find.mapmuse.com/map/cell-towers/near/GULF%20OF%20MEXICO,+LA

Broadpoint Cellular (formerly known as Petrocom) coverage map (GSM):

http://www.broadpointinc.com/upload/cellular_coverage_10196.pdf

Just saying.....but the Concordia is far from over....The Maritime investigation by many international authorities' date=' including but limited to, IMO, Solas committees, UDCG, Class, Pand I and other insurnaces groups are part if it. The investigation is now investigating Carnival Inc. in Miami. I am sure the recent problems with the desteny and the Troumph will become part of the overall investigation.

AKK[/quote']

The market has already considered all viable consequences and has adjusted the share price with these factored in already.

To all the carnival haters. Accidents happen on other lines too. Here are just a few examples.

January 12, 2013

Silverseas' Silver Explorer on an Antarctic Peninsula cruise was damaged by 18-foot wave, returns to port. Several crew members injured. Next cruise was canceled.

April 20, 2012

Allure of the Seas engine room fire.

March 30, 2012

Azamare Quest cruise ship had a fire in the engine room on Saturday, March 30, 2012. Passengers on the 17-night cruise were called to their muster stations wearing their lifejackets where they stayed assembled while the little cruise ship drifted at sea off the Philippines after losing propulsion .

An engine room fire on Monday, December 12, 2011 around 0920 hours aboard Celebration Cruise Lines' Bahamas Celebration while the ship was sailing about four miles out of Freeport in the Bahamas, disabled the cruise ship with approximately 600 passengers aboard.

December 12, 2010

Brilliance Of The Seas cruise ship severe listings in storm off Egypt

An investigation into fires aboard Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' Enchantment Of The Seas revealed that life jackets stored in passengers' cabins were causing fires.

The investigation began after a fire was reported in passenger cabin # 4544. The fire was extinguished in around six minutes.

During the investigation, it was discovered that that a faulty life jacket light is suspected to be the reason for starting the fire. The life jacket was stored in a storage locker wardrobe in the passenger cabin.

At 0637 hours on May 25, 2003, the Bahamas-registered passenger vessel S/S Norway, with 911 crewmembers and 2,135 passengers on board, suffered a boiler rupture in the aft boiler room. The accident occurred about an hour after the vessel had moored in Miami, Florida, at the end of a 7-day Caribbean cruise. As a result of the accident, 8 crewmembers sustained fatal injuries, 10 suffered serious injuries, and 7 received minor injuries. No passengers were injured.

Why didn't you list Carnival Splendor and Concordia?

From the Onion:

"GULF OF MEXICO—Following an onboard fire that has left more than 4,000 Carnival cruise ship passengers and crew without electricity, water, and operational bathroom facilities, feces-covered, urine-stained traveler Jason Spaulding told reporters Wednesday that he is determined to enjoy the remainder of his high seas vacation. “Look, I’ve been looking forward to this cruise for months, and I’m not about to let a little utilities hiccup ruin my good time,” said a waste-drenched Spaulding, who in the past three days has been forced to urinate and defecate off the side of an immobile Carnival cruise liner whose backed-up restrooms sources confirmed are leaking raw sewage throughout the vessel’s living quarters and main deck. “The fact is, the sun is shining, the breeze is blowing, and I’m out here in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico on a boat. Uncontrollable torrents of human excrement or no, I’m going to make the best of it.” At press time, the optimistic Carnival passenger had decided to “cool off” by taking a dip in the cruise ship’s lukewarm, feces-clouded pool."

Funny, sad, true, or all the above?

WARNING:

The Onion is satirical (these are not real quotes).

Thank you!!!! Love the Onion! :p

To all the carnival haters. Accidents happen on other lines too. Here are just a few examples.

January 12, 2013

Silverseas' Silver Explorer on an Antarctic Peninsula cruise was damaged by 18-foot wave, returns to port. Several crew members injured. Next cruise was canceled.

December 12, 2010

Brilliance Of The Seas cruise ship severe listings in storm off Egypt

OK Carnival cheerleader kyblue, you use weather events that have effected other lines as some sort of Carnival defense, while calling other posters "haters"?

JUST PATHETIC.

Not drinking anything but the news and people on here are only listening to a couple of negative comments. I'm sure once the triumph is docked there will be many passengers that will have a different view of the conditions on board. As far as the op that I started. Many on here want to bash carnival. My point is that accidents happen industry wide. I cruise carnival because I like the product they over other lines.

I think you're wrong. Carnival will most likely offer confidential settlements to passengers, but will require a confidentiality agreement. So, that means we may never hear anything from passengers. That might bode well for them, but not for those of us who have upcoming cruises on a Carnival ship.

OK Carnival cheerleader kyblue, you use weather events that have effected other lines as some sort of Carnival defense, while calling other posters "haters"?

JUST PATHETIC.

If I offended you or anybody else I sincerely apologize. Maybe haters was to strong of a word to use.

Well, plans altered at least.

Tom

What if you can't make any cruises CCL offers instead of the ones that are canceled or what if the timing/departure city are not the same as your canceled cruise? Will CCL pay the re-booking fees for flights? What if you've booked hotels and paid in full - nonrefundable? Will CCL eat those costs for you as well? Guess it may be more than just "plans altered" for a lot of people - could be a lot of extra expenses.

They could of canceled another cruise and used that ship to transfer pasengers to once they realized the ship could not be run on engines for power.

This has been exhausted several times. To say they could have done this means not a whole lot of thought was put in to it. First, they are not going to do a ship to ship transfer of thousands of people at sea due to safety, and two, I know the on scene USCG would not allow it. Fact is, this is not an option.

Would be a good commercial for the a state to use.

Commercial opens with ship floating. Captain giving the Mayday call. CG ships circling ship. Smoke pouring out of lower decks. Alarms sounding threw out a dark ship. Strobe lights flashing. Crew handing out poop bags. Fights breaking out for crumbs. Shanty town of tents on deck. Poop and pee splashing around on floor. People coughing and getting sick.

Break to a couple sitting on a beach with a cocktail as they gaze at the ocean, with a ship bellowing smoke off in the distance with a bio-hazard boat racing towards it "never again"

Close with Florida beaches.

Great post, thanks for the laugh, you might get flamed and your post deleted. mine did when I asked if there would be another Elegant Night because the cruise was going 3 days longer (now its 4 days longer)...

While I agree with you, I'm not sure at that point that it will be up to Carnival, but rather it will be the harbormasters call.

I would imagine texts would go through as soon as they are within full site of land.

They should have cell service once they get in the oil fields, and non roaming at about 10-12 miles out.

What if you can't make any cruises CCL offers instead of the ones that are canceled or what if the timing/departure city are not the same as your canceled cruise? Will CCL pay the re-booking fees for flights? What if you've booked hotels and paid in full - nonrefundable? Will CCL eat those costs for you as well? Guess it may be more than just "plans altered" for a lot of people - could be a lot of extra expenses.

Will pay for all nonrefundable travel expenses (its in the release).

It's been stated that any non refundable travel expenses will be reimbursed for the cruises cancelled today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Don't know their exact position and route obviously, but there is a decent chance the ship will pass within range of a cell tower somewhere off shore on the way into Mobile. There are quite a few offshore cell towers on oil rigs in the gulf. Some might be shocked by the roaming charges they get if they use it much (though not sure its worse than the roaming charges using the now dead onship cell coverage).

Gulf of Mexico Cell Tower Map:

http://find.mapmuse.com/map/cell-towers/near/GULF%20OF%20MEXICO,+LA

The harbormaster in Mobile answered the question yesterday. It would be unsafe to tow an unpowered ship of her size through the channel at night and must be done in daylight.

Make sense?

Yesterday, someone mentioned that when the ship got near the oil fields, they maybe able to get some cell service. I wonder if that might come into play and if we might get some live news from passengers aboard today (assuming their phones have power)

Mark

They could of canceled another cruise and used that ship to transfer pasengers to once they realized the ship could not be run on engines for power. They could use the Life boats if needed for the transfer. Those who did not want to leave would be in much better conditions with fewer people to care for until the ship was towed to port. Forcing 4000+ people living in those conditions is not the way to do it.

I like the idea, in theory, in that scenario, but I'm not sure it's at all realistic. I'm no expert by any means, but if you are envisioning it working like tendering works, I doubt that's plausible. If you happened to have an exceptionally calm sea that day, it would probably work. But mid-ocean I don't think that would be likely.

On they other hand, I can't see them doing a slow tow for a week or more to get to the closest port, if they were really out in the center of the ocean. But I don't know that they'd have much other choice. Let's just hope in never happens.

If Carnival CORP and Costa survived the Concordia accident, they will certainly survive this incident. CCL is down less then 10% off their 52 week high..

The problem is the snowball effect. At some point even the cheerleaders begin to see the cracks and put down their pompoms. Based on posts on this forum, I'm seeing it happen already.

So how close to shore will they have to be to get reliable cell service? I have read they are going to park them 50 miles off shore tonight and finish the trip into Mobile tommorow????

I would really like to talk to my wife and find out how she is doing!!!!!

I'm so sorry. You must be a nervous wreck. You have my sympathy.

Archived