Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

It would have to be. IIRC, the Pride of America has an American crew, for example. Or a crew that has a far higher concentration of Americans, which is to say, more than one.

I think if she is US flagged , all her crew would be required to hold US qualifications.

Its a real pity that the great maritime nations allowed flags of convenience .. when you look at the USA , it has an almost non existent merchant fleet , same as the UK ... we will pay for this one day..but thats another story

best regards

John Fisher Royal Navy (retired)

I think we can all bury our differences, and be truly glad the Triumph is back safely.

Welcome home, fellow cruisers, welcome home.

+1!

And to agree with whoever said it, I would absolutely wear that bathrobe off the ship. And I never wear that thing. But once I got off the ship I would probably burn it!

Only been on the Triumph once, but did see on the CNN feed a man walking across the balcony of the cabin we were in (deck 7 wrap, port side). I know this is super silly to say, but it was just so weird to see him there after having been there. Again, silly I know.

Hey, Gerry showed up finally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Interesting to read the Reddit account; the lady is saying that her toilet worked most of the time, it wasn't as bad as some accounts have had it, at least one person tried to fake an injury so she might get evacuated, the crew has done a great job, no real food shortages but long lines, a couple of laptops were stolen from the charging areas, and there is talk of a class action lawsuit. And she also says she actually had a good time!

There won't be/can't be a class action law suit. Any lawsuits will have to be individual, and unless there is personal injury or death, it has to go through arbitration not court.

Watching TV and they are talking to people on the ship since they are along side the pier now. They are saying they never felt their lives were in jeopardy and they had lobster TWICE today. They are very happy with the way it was handled given the situation.

Wow! The media must be soooo disappointed--no drama mamas or juicy horror stories to lead into the 11pm news!

All of these landlubbers who want to insist that these people will never recover..........sheesh.

Cnn is making a huge deal of this 6 month pregnant woman, how did she get on the boat that pregnant? I thought the cut off was 24 weeks which if im not mistaken is 5 months?

Hey, they've been lost at sea! She wasn't even pregnant when they boarded!

I have to admit, I'm surprised at how emotional his voice is sounding. However, it might have been too little too late. I really think they botched communication tremendously. The communications failure could be more damaging than the fire itself in the long run.

Id be interested in report #4523900 dates 28 Jan 2013 concerning shorting of a generator cable .... Click the buttom on the bottom to open the inspection list.

Vessel reported a short in the high voltage connection box of one of the ships generators causing damage to cables within the connection box. The condition of the ship and its equipment shall be maintained to conform with the... ..regulations to ensure that the ship in all respects will remain fit to proceed to sea without danger to the ship or persons on board. 50AC SOLAS 2009 CH1 reg 11.

Looks like they had month to resolve it.

billd

This is something that would be very interesting to see investigated in the public forum.

Some will say this is the smoking gun. Carnival knew the ship had issues but gambled with the passengers safety.

Others will say they still had 3 more weeks before the Feb 27th deadline to resolve the issue. Why should they interrupt service before the Coast Guard deadline.

Here's a note for those contemplating a class action lawsuit, derived from the Ticket Contract of Carnival Cruise Lines:

13. CLASS ACTION WAIVER

THIS CONTRACT PROVIDES FOR THE EXCLUSIVE RESOLUTION OF DISPUTES THROUGH INDIVIDUAL LEGAL ACTION ON GUEST'S OWN BEHALF INSTEAD OF THROUGH ANY CLASS ACTION. EVEN IF THE APPLICABLE LAW PROVIDES OTHERWISE, GUEST AGREES THAT ANY ARBITRATION OR LAWSUIT AGAINST CARRIER WHATSOEVER SHALL BE LITIGATED BY GUEST INDIVIDUALLY AND NOT AS A MEMBER OF ANY CLASS OR AS PART OF A CLASS ACTION, AND GUEST EXPRESSLY AGREES TO WAIVE ANY LAW ENTITLING GUEST TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION. IF GUEST'S CLAIM IS SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION UNDER CLAUSE 12 (d) ABOVE, THE ARBITRATOR SHALL HAVE NO AUTHORITY TO ARBITRATE CLAIMS ON A CLASS ACTION BASIS. GUEST AGREES THAT THIS SECTION SHALL NOT BE SEVERABLE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES

FROM THE ARBITRATION CLAUSE SET FORTH IN SECTION 12 (d) ABOVE, AND IF FOR ANY REASON THIS CLASS ACTION WAIVER IS UNENFORCEABLE AS TO ANY PARTICULAR CLAIM, THEN AND ONLY THEN SUCH CLAIM SHALL NOT BE SUBJECT TO ARBITRATION.

Ahhhh - what was it that Shakespeare said?

Welcome Home Triumph!!

The crew is the real group of heroes here. I hope they are generously compensated. Carnival, these people are your one saving grace in this incident.

Agreed. But am I the only one that finds it odd that most are proclaiming Carnival Mgt a bumbling group of idiots.

Yet, they have the systems in place to recruit, hire, train and then have their employees PERFORM so well.

I've seen waaaaaaay to many businesses that have crappy front line employees. The reason, they have poor management. It's crystal clear.

You don't have great employees because it just happens. You don't get "lucky" with over 1000 employees on that ship.

There's a reason those employees performed well.

Carnival's leadership perhaps is arrogant and that turns people off? I don't follow them closely enough to know. But there's a reason they are #1 in volume in the cruise industry and it isn't because they have a group of bumbling idiots at the top.

Archived