Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

They have been hiding things all along

[font//Sarcasm-on] Yup. Them sneaky rascals waited to enter port under dark of night so that they can quietly slide all of those dead bodies over the fantail and no one would know! Then, they dressed several of their employees as those passengers and made sure that they are interviewed first and gave glowing reports about how it wasn't as bad as the "news" hounds were making it out to be. I am sure that the most vocal passengers will be tortured if they talk to the press.[font-off]

This is something that would be very interesting to see investigated in the public forum.

Some will say this is the smoking gun. Carnival knew the ship had issues but gambled with the passengers safety.

Others will say they still had 3 more weeks before the Feb 27th deadline to resolve the issue. Why should they interrupt service before the Coast Guard deadline.

All marine incidents are reported ..

Have a look at http://www.maib.gov.uk/home/index.cfm you will be able to read the reports , most countries have similar agencies and some flag states co-operate in investigations

best Regards

John Fisher Royal Navy (retired)

There won't be/can't be a class action law suit. Any lawsuits will have to be individual, and unless there is personal injury or death, it has to go through arbitration not court.

It's not iron-clad. But it would be a pain to break, I guess you could say that it would be unreasonable to expect everyone to sue individually out of Miami.

Now that the ship is docked and all are safe...

Carnival has always been very savvy about revenue opportunities, I see a way for them to offset some of the cost of the refurb - rent out the ship for a Febreeze ad.

"We blindfolded these people and took them aboard the Carnival Triumph..."

omg lmao!!!

too soon? lol

Cahill saying all the right things. Fir those who kept asking where he was, I'm sure he was in the "command center" until she was docked. If he was giving updates every few hours, people would have been asking why he wasn't keeping charge of things instead of talking to media.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

What do we think about this being simply and accident or due to maintenance negligence?

CNN is talking about this and I'm curious what other people think.

I think we need to wait until the investigation is concluded.

This is something that would be very interesting to see investigated in the public forum.

Some will say this is the smoking gun. Carnival knew the ship had issues but gambled with the passengers safety.

Others will say they still had 3 more weeks before the Feb 27th deadline to resolve the issue. Why should they interrupt service before the Coast Guard deadline.

I'm guessing the CG has to come back to inspect it.

How smoking of gun it is depends on the cause of the fire. Maybe it wasn't even in the engineroom that had the problem. Just seem to be an open discrepancy that the ship is required to correct IAW the reference.

I'm sure the CG has already pulled the records about this, especially the inspector who wrote them up 2 weeks ago....

Glad the ship and crew and passengers are back safe. For those of us who have sailed, this could have turned out a very different way and that would not have been a happy ending.

billd

What do we think about this being simply and accident or due to maintenance negligence?

CNN is talking about this and I'm curious what other people think.

I really have no idea. There is plenty of circumstantial evidence that can lead one to question the maintenance based on events of the last month or so. I personally wouldn't be surprised if this is a design error. It also could just be an accident that had no relation to anything that happened prior. Hopefully, the authorities that investigate can figure this out.

Now that the ship is docked and all are safe...

Carnival has always been very savvy about revenue opportunities, I see a way for them to offset some of the cost of the refurb - rent out the ship for a Febreeze ad.

"We blindfolded these people and took them aboard the Carnival Triumph..."

I am sure the last thing most people on-board want to do is listen to Gerry. They are more concerned about getting off the ship asap

I disagree. Maybe not a long conversation, but to be personally welcomed home by the CEO and to hear "Sorry we failed to deliver, but we're going to make it right" would mean a lot to me.

My reading of the report is that the ship had to be sure the problem would not endanger the ship when it sailed.

In addition to your points, it occurs to me that the problem may have been corrected at some point, but the USCG inspection had yet to take place. I'm sure the BMA & NTSB investigation will be taking a long look at this report.

Hey, they've been lost at sea! She wasn't even pregnant when they boarded!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The communications failure could be more damaging than the fire itself in the long run.

Agree. They kind of let the media run wild for awhile there.

Greta on phone with a passenger who says they are disembarking by decks...lower decks first! Lots of crew on stairwells to help with luggage. Just saw someone go on board with a wheelchair and there's an ambulance right by the gangway.

Agreed. But am I the only one that finds it odd that most are proclaiming Carnival Mgt a bumbling group of idiots.

Yet, they have the systems in place to recruit, hire, train and then have their employees PERFORM so well.

I've seen waaaaaaay to many businesses that have crappy front line employees. The reason, they have poor management. It's crystal clear.

You don't have great employees because it just happens. You don't get "lucky" with over 1000 employees on that ship.

There's a reason those employees performed well.

Carnival's leadership perhaps is arrogant and that turns people off? I don't follow them closely enough to know. But there's a reason they are #1 in volume in the cruise industry and it isn't because they have a group of bumbling idiots at the top.

Carnival's failures in the aftermath of this fire were primarily in communication and PR.

I read about how it is going to take hours to let everybody off the ship, which is normal for a cruise, but this cruise wasn't normal

I suppose what I'm saying is, upon reaching port they would be letting me off PRONTO, and delaying me from getting off would in my mind be akin to kidnapping

Archived