Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Comments on CNN just now:

a) Carnival should give each passenger a cruise on RCCL.

b) $500 per passenger is not enough to cover the psychiatric help they will need.

Who made those statements?

It was a panel of several CNN commentators.

I may be guessing (and I am not implying any collusion over the delay in docking) but to have the ship arrive some time after the evening news cycle will mean that the passengers' stories will not hit the news until the morning, giving CCL time to try to control what will inevitably be a media news frenzy.

The extended CNN live coverage (almost 1 AM Eastern time now and still going strong) means the stories have hit the news immediately.

Nice that almost every passenger internviewed has had positive comments.

Having not read all the posts yet, I am probably repeating some of these:

o Crew was fantastic

o On Thursday all the toilets were working again

o Many were able to take showers, but are looking forward to warm/hot ones now.

o Some will never cruise Carnival again, many will.

o Many walked off wearing Carival bathrobes from their cabins.

o Many felt that they were told first one thing then another. (Of course, much of this was because things kept changing, such as first going to Progresso and then to Mobile).

o Many familes became closer than they were before the cruise.

o Many new friends were made these last few days.

thank God that everyone is safe and a little closer to home!

note to self: purchase big bottle of whiskey and some snacks on first day of next cruise... and some solar chargers! and magazines! my husband and I wonder how many divorces (or babies) will result bc of this... again, thankful everyone is safe!!

If they were told not to talk to the media, there are sure a lot of them that are NOT following orders. But I could see why, it's always the media that try to exagerate and stir up trouble. As someone posted earlier, when passengers didn't have anything bad to say, the CNN reporters told them to move on.... How's that for PR???

Doug

Can I ask if the people making these allegations are even watching CNN? Like, seriously? Because I've been watching it all day, quite literally, and I have yet to see any pax be cut off or waved off because their story wasn't sufficiently negative or juicy. Pax being "waved away" by CNN was during the Splendor incident, not right now.

I have seen Erin Burnett and Martin Savidge (sp?) asking some pretty leading questions of pax, but when people didn't give them the juicy "Cruise from Hell" soundbites they were after, pax were hardly being "waved away" or cut off. Questions are being asked about the positive and negative experiences. People are getting the opportunity, over and over again, to praise crew and fellow pax for being calm and supporting each other through a trying time. They seem to be focusing more on the heartwarming family reunion type of story, now that it's clear that most people are being upbeat and they're not getting any more irate pax after the two women from earlier.

And as an aside, I've been lurking on this trainwreck of a thread almost since it started and some of the ludicrous things being said are just flooring me, even after a lifetime spent on the internet watching asinine flame wars on message boards. Between the champagne and caviar know-it-alls who have literally done everything and feel the need to add their two cents to every post whether relevant or not, the complete lack of empathy shown by some toward pax and family, and the armchair flame warriors both pro and anti Carnival cynically twisting every single pax statement in order to score points in a pissing contest like a bunch of Trekkies fighting with Star Wars nerds over which franchise is cooler, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. Maybe I should just buy stock in Orville Redenbacher instead.

And trust me I am no Carnival cheerleader by any means. I can get that experience for free on the Staten Island Ferry. But thank you to the like, 3 or 4 of you that have actually posted helpful information and legit news in-between the endless wank.

Correct.

With exceptions, quite a number of the first debarking passengers are repeat (loyalty program) travelers.

Those who are on their first or second sailings might have a bit different overall take-away, since they didn't/don't have multiple previous positive cruises to compare this one to.

Yet one of the first groups interviewed on cnn were first time cruisers.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Glad to see most everyone being interviewed have been so positive. A lot of the stories tried to be passed on here and CNN are site being debunked just like many have in the past few days.

Glad everyone will now be heading home. I'm sure some here as well as the media are a bit disappointed that there hasn't been tales of tragedy.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Thank goodness this is a form of communication for cruisers, otherwise we may still not know of the situation and its worst. The bottom line they messed up. It wasn't an accident as they already knew there were problems with the ship and neglected to put time and money aside and fix the problem. No matter how positive passengers are, the fact can't be escaped that these cruise experts within their world decided to continue and got caught. Thank God it wasn't worst, thank God it wasn't a cruise in a situation of rough seas, and in the place that would have taken days to get to the ship.

The CEO of Carnival said " We failed in this particular case" and he's right, but what will they do to make sure they do not fail again and cost any more lives due to errors of Captains, Corporate, or neglect?

Most guests are going to NOLA.

Two guests just interviewed on CNN said they are going to New Orleans. Since they have not even boarded the bus yet (12:15 AM Central time), the interviewer said it looks like you will not get any sleep tonight.

The response" Of course not, we will be in New Orleans." I guess the fun will continue in the French Quarter.

Thank goodness this is a form of communication for cruisers, otherwise we may still not know of the situation and its worst. The bottom line they messed up. It wasn't an accident as they already knew there were problems with the ship and neglected to put time and money aside and fix the problem. No matter how positive passengers are, the fact can't be escaped that these cruise experts within their world decided to continue and got caught. Thank God it wasn't worst, thank God it wasn't a cruise in a situation of rough seas, and in the place that would have taken days to get to the ship.

The CEO of Carnival said " We failed in this particular case" and he's right, but what will they do to make sure they do not fail again and cost any more lives due to errors of Captains, Corporate, or neglect?

We were on the sailing before this one and everything was just fine. Exactly how do you know this "wasn't an accident"? If it was not, was it done intenionally????

Doug

I'll wait for the BMA/NTSB/USCG reports before deciding if and where blame should be assigned.

Personally I choose to believe the firsthand accounts of those interviewed by the media over essentially anonymous postings here. Tempered with an understanding that the accounts are from exhausted and generally elated people.

The first requirement to being US flagged is the ship is built in the US. If not, it takes an act of Congress for a waiver, which is what NCL did. They also had to set up a US Corporation - NCLA.

The one shipyard which tried to build a ship in America failed to finish the job with the Norwegian Pride of America. We have the shipbuilding skills, but not cruise ship expertise for fit out. The Europeans have that skill down pat.

Thank goodness this is a form of communication for cruisers, otherwise we may still not know of the situation and its worst. The bottom line they messed up. It wasn't an accident as they already knew there were problems with the ship and neglected to put time and money aside and fix the problem. ?

So I guess you already know the cause of the fire, before the NTSB and the CG?

Its highly possible that any prior problems and the fire are totally unrelated. Its also possible they are connected. But I don't see how someone not on that ship and who has probably never even been in THAT engineroom has an informed opinion. I think as close as you can come is what they call a Wild Ass Guess (WAG).

let the professionals investigate. Thats what they do. They will find the issues and make the recommendations.

Billd

The one shipyard which tried to build a ship in America failed to finish the job with the Norwegian Pride of America. We have the shipbuilding skills, but not cruise ship expertise for fit out. The Europeans have that skill down pat.

The ocean liner SS United States was built in the US. It has had to be saved from the scrap yard more than once.

The US is non-competitive in many areas besides cruise ship building. Protectionist laws don't help.

what happened, although it is clear there were some prior issues with this ship. We do know that the crew was heroic and and should be applauded. It is also a testament to the goodwill of Americans that so many were well behaved and considerate. Many friendships were forged and other positives come of this. The entire industry will learn from this and improve, and in the interim, those that were damaged will be compensated, and those that were inconvenienced will get another shot at it.

Moving forward I would like to see the following changes-extra food beyond length of cruise. An emergency sanitation action plan. An emergency shelter action plan. Clear industry wide guidelines on when to evacuate a ship. If possible, dry dock all older ships to make redundant. Use of solar power. I understand how expensive this could be, and think that appropriate tax credits for these procedures, not abused, are appropriate. The passengers must have a hand in this as well. Mandate trip insurance. There are many things that can go wrong that are not the line's fault, and healthcare does not carry over to foreign countries. It is irresponsible to leave unprotected. No more birth certificates. Passports only. Those people are responsible in part for making this much harder. You leave the country you need a passport, ballgame over.

Of all the things that bug me the most, the post I read about sewage trapped between the floors being a prior condition, and not addressed. This is not acceptable if proven accurate.

Cahill flew in, gave a carefully scripted speech, then shook a few hands. He'll slither back on his corporate jet and be back at his estate before some of the passengers get on their two hour long bus ride.

He views the CCL passengers as pathetically stupid people, by giving $500, he is saying that suffering on this crappy CCL ship was worth less than $5 an hour!

Hey Cahill- any plans on paying back the U.S. government for all the help they and the U.S.C.G gave?

If you have a heart attack and need to be coptered off, CCL makes you sign contracts saying that YOU will pay for the flight. Gee, is CCL going to pay the govt back or are they going to stiff the tax payer just like they are stiffing the passengers????

Looks like CNN is no longer doing live coverage. I hope this means that everyone is off the ship.

I just noticed that too. CNN is now repeating interviews they did over a hour or two ago but they haven't put up a "pre-recorded" notice. People just tuning in would think these interviews with pax are live. Don't know if all the pax are off yet or not. All interviewees have been complimentary of the staff and only a few said they were not going on a future cruise. Typical overblown coverage from the media for the last several days about how bad things were, but most of the pax seem to be taking it in stride. Imagine some of the media are still hoping for some juicy stories, but they seem to be few and far between.

Archived