Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Prior to the start of this post, I need to acknowledge my own ignorance on this matter. I've always wondered why the US port authority (or whoever handles this stuff) can't require that ships have a mandatory week off every so often for maintenance. I know that the US doesn't own the ships, but we could make regulations for docking in our ports. Just seems like the cruise lines should be required to have scheduled maintenance of at least a week say every 9 months? I know it would cost the cruise industry tons, but what do incidents like this one cost, and what's the cruisers safety worth?

Just a thought. I'm sure I don't know how it all works, but it sounds good to me.

Cindy

You don't understand how it works, yet your advocating guvment stepping in and making some arbitrary rule to make you feel better, just so you can feel a little safer? Let the free market work... People who cruise carnival or any line do so accepting the inherent risks. The free market will decide how many of these incidents carnival can afford before they and other lines change their practices. The difference is that when they do it, it will be done to have minimal impact to the price you and I pay to cruise...

I 2nd that make all US citizens look bad to the rest of the world, money hungry lawers & drams queens from the Triumph will tarish the image of everyone who suffered aboard!

Sorry, but most of the dissatisfaction seems to be coming from the land locked loved one that wanted info on their families on board and got basically nothing.

Most of the interviews I'm hearing on all channels have people describing implorable conditions, but we're being taken care of all throughout.

And certainly didn't help hearing only about the implorable cOnditions while the ship was at sea, and basic silence from the Corp.

Saw some of the coverage this AM on HLN. Love the bathrobes with "Float Trip 2013" on the back:):cool:! Most comments were in praise of crew. Pax seemed in high spirits for experiencing the "ordeal in a petri dish" that the media hyped, smiling, joking waving like rock stars. I'm sure they're glad to be back safe and sound on way home. But camera vids shown of people walking around, dancing, music playing on board (LIVE band--folks:eek:) I'm not sure if the earlier texts messages weren't overly skewed and exaggerated by media and worried loved ones.

The one shipyard which tried to build a ship in America failed to finish the job with the Norwegian Pride of America. We have the shipbuilding skills, but not cruise ship expertise for fit out. The Europeans have that skill down pat.

It's not that we don't have the experience for buildout, it's that with the 700 billion or so dollars being pumped into defense every year, ship builders are more focused on naval contracts and not pax ship contracts...

I would have been more impressed with what he said had he been delivering grilled steaks as I walked off the ship.

Words were empty at that point. As well as my stomach.

trying to remember if i've ever seen an airline ceo at an airplane crash giving triage to the victims, or the ceo of a major transportation source being at the hospital after a train, subway, or bus crash. poor memory i guess.

well, based on the interviews of passengers my post from days ago is pretty much validated. people weren't little savages on the boat, they did come together to help each other and as soon as conditions permitted and the ship was close enough to make it possible for supplies to be airlifted or ferried out to the ship it was done.

seeing the limos and all the peeps i am sure many concerned family members made the trip to mobile and it seems like the passengers weren't overly concerned about their bus ride to New Orleans. in fact i'll guess that a few will shower and head out to Bourbon Street asap.

and as always, the media (and i refuse to call CNN of FOX news media, since i equate them with TMZ, Piers Morgan, Geraldo, and the national enquirer) did a piss poor job of fact checking and as usual just presented innuendo and gross fabrication and undo sensationalism.

i'm glad all of the little savages;) are back on land and i'm sure at some point i'll run into one or two of them on a future cruise.:)

I would have been more impressed with what he said had he been delivering grilled steaks as I walked off the ship.

Words were empty at that point. As well as my stomach.

They did have steak that day and the one before when they got a grill working.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

I'm not sure if the earlier texts messages weren't overly skewed and exaggerated by media and worried loved ones.

Most of those came out Monday and at that point it was more about getting info about conditions on board, given there was very little from CCL and it was all in corporate speak. If Cahill had given the speech he gave last night and told the unvarnished truth eg "the situation on board is very poor, a few dozen toilets are working, 1 elevator, we have the topside grill restaurant open serving some hot food, the band is playing and we're going to take care of these pax" and provided regular updates of what a great job the crew was doing I think the media story could have taken a different turn.

Almost all the pax accounts I saw last night were upbeat. One said "it was disgusting but the crew was amazing". I think the real story here is the amazing crew, but it did not come out til last night.

trying to remember if i've ever seen an airline ceo at an airplane crash giving triage to the victims, or the ceo of a major transportation source being at the hospital after a train, subway, or bus crash. poor memory i guess.

well, based on the interviews of passengers my post from days ago is pretty much validated. people weren't little savages on the boat, they did come together to help each other and as soon as conditions permitted and the ship was close enough to make it possible for supplies to be airlifted or ferried out to the ship it was done.

seeing the limos and all the peeps i am sure many concerned family members made the trip to mobile and it seems like the passengers weren't overly concerned about their bus ride to New Orleans. in fact i'll guess that a few will shower and head out to Bourbon Street asap.

and as always, the media (and i refuse to call CNN of FOX news media, since i equate them with TMZ, Piers Morgan, Geraldo, and the national enquirer) did a piss poor job of fact checking and as usual just presented innuendo and gross fabrication and undo sensationalism.

i'm glad all of the little savages;) are back on land and i'm sure at some point i'll run into one or two of them on a future cruise.:)

My sister was not told they were going to NOLA until they were on the bus. They were offered a bus ride to Galveston or a bus ride to a hotel and then a flight home. They were not told the hotel was in NOLA. Further, she said there was almost a mob scene with people trying to get on the buses, pushing and shoving.

i've been flipping back n forth between cnn and fox news. OMG fox news had the sleaziest people reporters and they were finding the nastiest people to interview. people talking about how their backs were hurting and how they think they had infections. i couldn't believe the slimeballs that gravitate towards fox news.

Is your TV on? I didn't see that at all. In fact most are just happy to be back. The bad stuff will fade pretty quickly for most.

trying to remember if i've ever seen an airline ceo at an airplane crash giving triage to the victims, or the ceo of a major transportation source being at the hospital after a train, subway, or bus crash. poor memory i .:)

I must have missed the part where the Triumph was involved in a crash.

Perhaps the analogy would have been better if your plane was sitting on a Tarmac for 24 or more hours without a working toilet.

Substitute train, subway or bus for the rest of the analogy.

The best part of watching the coverage of the ship docking last night was that the reaction of horror that CNN had been hoping for never came and everyone who got off the ship seemed to be in great spirits.

The media are a bunch of vultures and all they wanted was people to come running off that ship looking like hell and trashing the cruise line and they didnt get it.

Those 200 shoreside people should have been cycling through assistIng with the luggage handling. Maybe they did.

I just saw an interview with two ladies who were travelling with another woman who broke her ankle. They said Cahill carried the injured lady's suitcase off the ship last night.

They do usually spend about 2 weeks every 2 years in dry dock. Perhaps requiring a week every year would be a wise step.

Maybe the cruise industry should have a governing body that requires at least one ship be in for inspection each week, from all the lines that are porting in the US, they could have one port/dry dock that all the lines 25share, and schedule to have 1 ship down each week,

No not sure how to plan the scheduling, and little details, but seams like it would be a start.

Carnival has 24-26 ships, 20 of which in the US area,

Royal has ? 10-12 ships, 8 of which in the US area

others 15-20 ships, 12 of which could be in the US

Total is 40 so 1 per week, leaves time for holidays, and other problems,

To those of you who are criticizing the media for making a big deal of this:

The media is all we have as cruising consumers. The 12 page contract puts us at the mercy of the cruise lines- not just for compensation, but for possibly shoddy maintenance and what we all can agree is "cost cutting" above and below decks. Most of us who have been on CC for years and have taken many cruises have read threads about ships being put to sea, loaded with pax, and then missing ports because of propulsion problems, or having rough rides because of stabilizer problems, or having sewage smells that don't let up- and we can all name the ships where these problems have REPEATEDLY occurred.

Nothing we can say or do, no "email to Miami" (or Seattle), no voting with our wallets can create any change because there is always someone else ready to book a cabin.

And the crew: we all speak so highly of the crew, but they have zero protection either. If they complain they are put off at the next port and sent home with the tickets they pre-paid for when they signed their contracts. We can tip them- but are the tips pooled and does the maitre d take his cut? Are the cabin crew tips used to secure that extra egg crate mattress we asked for? We can praise them and smile at them- but can we deny that they now have three or four times the. Amount of work they had even five years ago?

The media has called Carnival to task for this disaster. Come on. Look at it. Put down your pompoms and set aside your congnitive dissonance because you have a cruise booked and LOOK. They towed them across the gulf rather than take them to Progreso. Honestly- Progreso is horrible but it's not THAT bad;). They could have dropped off bottled water and MRE's and whatever. They could have fixed the propulsion problems we all know they had in the month prior.

As long as it's us against them Arison will be tweeting "Go Heat!" As people are trapped in hulls dying and be in his owner's box while cabin crew are pouring water in toilets to clean fecal matter- and smiling at the same time. The media is doing us a big fat favor here.

So there was something I heard on HLN that bothers me which is there was only enough insulin for one day for diabetics and that one diabetic went into diabetic shock. Of course this may or may not be accurate, but if it is accurate why weren't they evacuated?

I was glad to hear all the positive things about the crew. I think Carnival did some things better this time than Splendor and some things worse. They really need to do some education on how to communicate in a crisis though. From the cc posters who had family on board it seems like Carnival failed in communicating with them.

I also think they should do more than the five hundred per person (and the future cruise etc) because the financial losses for a lot of those people will be over 500.

Regarding the previous condition of the ship and whether it played into the fire will be part of the investigation I am sure. So I am withholding judgment until then.

Has there been confirmation or not on the person having a heart attack and dying?

I am glad everyone is home safe and relatively sound. I hope that carnival rewards to crew (not just covering the contracts or moving them). I am cruising Carnival again, but also am going to follow the investigation closely because if it turns out to be a result of maintenance issues that may change my mind. And I hope Carnival comes clean on their failures here in communication, reports of lack of supplies for some folks, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sorry, but most of the dissatisfaction seems to be coming from the land locked loved one that wanted info on their families on board and got basically nothing.

Most of the interviews I'm hearing on all channels have people describing implorable conditions, but we're being taken care of all throughout.

And certainly didn't help hearing only about the implorable cOnditions while the ship was at sea, and basic silence from the Corp.

I agree with you 100% and I think this speaks volumes for the crew of Triumph. Everyone I saw interviewed, while obviously not happy about what happened, were in pretty good spirits. I'm sure some of it also has to do with finally being off the ship, but I haven't seen anyone go off on a tirade. Major kudos to the crew for, from what I can tell, making the best out of a bad situation.

i've been flipping back n forth between cnn and fox news. OMG fox news had the sleaziest people reporters and they were finding the nastiest people to interview. people talking about how their backs were hurting and how they think they had infections. i couldn't believe the slimeballs that gravitate towards fox news.

Please don't take offense to this, but if you really think those people were sleazy, that would be more of an indicator of the Triumph demographic, not the news source.

I would like to sum up the entire Triumph cruise results;

everyone got fed something; ok

everyone got to sleep; ok

everyone has a story to tell; ok

nobody got bad sunburn; ok

everyone got their money back +++ ok

and most important

nobody DIED, or even got wet falling in the gulf

GREAT JOB CARNIVAL, JOB WELL DONE.

Now go figure out what happened, and get a plan in place to make the trip home better, the next time it happens, if ever, kind of like the lifeboats, have a plan and hope to never need to use it.

For me one idea is to fix the no power idea on the ship and still have hot food, why not put a few charcol grills on each ship with the needed supplys, (before you jump on me about open fire) like they have on the Dream, and I think the Breeze and Magic out on deck 5 for lunch. They could move it out on the front deck or Lido deck in emergency if needed to cook food.

So there was something I heard on HLN that bothers me which is there was only enough insulin for one day for diabetics and that one diabetic went into diabetic shock. Of course this may or may not be accurate, but if it is accurate why weren't they evacuated?

I would question this story only because they did evacuate 2 or 3 people for medical reasons, one for "just" a broken ankle.

I was glad to hear all the positive things about the crew. I think Carnival did some things better this time than Splendor and some things worse. They really need to do some education on how to communicate in a crisis though. From the cc posters who had family on board it seems like Carnival failed in communicating with them.

I also think they should do more than the five hundred per person (and the future cruise etc) because the financial losses for a lot of those people will be over 500.

Regarding the previous condition of the ship and whether it played into the fire will be part of the investigation I am sure. So I am withholding judgment until then.

Has there been confirmation or not on the person having a heart attack and dying?

I am glad everyone is home safe and relatively sound. I hope that carnival rewards to crew (not just covering the contracts or moving them). I am cruising Carnival again, but also am going to follow the investigation closely because if it turns out to be a result of maintenance issues that may change my mind. And I hope Carnival comes clean on their failures here in communication, reports of lack of supplies for some folks, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

They did evacuate a diabetic and communication was almost non-existent as they had no power.

Pat

In one of the press conferences today, a Carnival VP said that no one would be asked to sign a waiver to receive the compensation that Carnival had announced.

I've wondered if the waivers being handed out on the buses are similar to excursion waivers - bus is an independent contractor, Carnival has no liability, yada, yada, yada.

I agree with that, but nothing stops them from just asking them not to, or advising them to walk directly to their buses, etc. and most would follow.

This was probably a factor in the port decisionmaking

Alabama Drydock and Shipbuilding Company

**(Redirected from Alabama Drydock

The Alabama Drydock and Shipbuilding Company (ADDSCO) located in Mobile, Alabama, was one of the largest marine production facilities in the United States of America during the 20th century. Beginning operation in 1917, the shipyard is presently owned by BAE Systems, who purchased the yard from Atlantic Marine in May 2010.[1]

BAE Systems was also the company to take Carnival Splendor into dry dock after her disabling fire at-sea. Glad they seem to have contracted them again.

Archived