Behind the Fun tours, if you were wondering

dulcimergirl

I love the Behind the Fun tours, to me its the best part of the cruise. It's always the last sea day and takes around 3 hours depending on the ship. I've done it on Fantasy, Paradise and Legend.

You get a great look at the laundry, and food storage lockers, and the fresh food prep areas. Wow do they keep the freezers cold. brrr Also the head Chef (usually) shows you around the galley. Always interesting. A look at behind the shows you've been seeing, with a peek at the costumes and back stage areas. Some ships give you a look at the crew rec room and gym, and out side areas for crew. Did you know they have a pool table? They have a lounge every bit as nice as the passengers. Also there's a swimming pool for them on Paradise? The next stop is the engine control room, which is explained in great detail by the Engineer on duty. The highlight of the tour (to me) is the bridge stop. A chat with the Captain and a good look at the bridge, the best spot is the see through floor in the stick-out area of the bridge, which is used while docking. Very cool. On Legend we got a look at the Golden Fleece galley and they explained how they hand picked the steaks for this dining room.

Most ships do a couple of photo's and you get a great hat. Well worth it and the cost is reasonable to me. I can't wait for my next Behind the Fun tour.

p.s. Always book as soon as you board as the spots fill up fast.

Any questions? I've got answers..

Thanks for that info! :) I've been wondering about behind the scenes tours. We'll be on the Miracle in April and I think my husband and kids would love the tour! Will be sure to check it out right as we board to be sure we get spots.

Jennifer

There is an age limit for the Behind the Fun tours. I'm thinking 16? I might be wrong. I know there is one, just can't remember the number.. lol

There is alot of stairs and some are very steep. I went on the museum ship Yorktown just before my Fantasy cruise and the "behind" parts remind me very much of a Navy ship.

There is an age limit for the Behind the Fun tours. I'm thinking 16? I might be wrong. I know there is one, just can't remember the number.. lol

There is alot of stairs and some are very steep. I went on the museum ship Yorktown just before my Fantasy cruise and the "behind" parts remind me very much of a Navy ship.

Oh No! :eek: I was told by someone else on these boards that the age limit is 8. My son is 14 and is obsessed with cruising. I am planning to surpise him with the tour while on board. He would love to see the inner-workings of the ship! He even sent Carnival's CEO a packet containing his review of our last cruise along with pictures, etc..lol

Can anyone confirm the age limit for me? Perhaps I will call Carnival and ask. Any info is appreciated:)

There is an age limit - I know it started at 13 but they've lowered it since we did it in 2010 on Conquest. It's not cheap at $95 on the larger ships, but to me it was worth every penny. I think we may take the tour again this summer on Legend, especially since our oldest son the ship's engineer (at least by the time we cruise - he sits for his Coast Guard license in June) will be with us.

We also toured Yorktown last year before our cruise on Fantasy. Since we stayed at Patriot's Point it was an easy tour for us, location-wise - but it does require a lot of walking.

We loved our Behind the Fun tour on The Conquest several years ago. Beside a group photo and individual photos with the Captain we also received a cap, backpack and other goodies with the Behind the Fun logo. We also got a bar of Ivory soap that was craved into a swan by one of the crew members working in the Gallery. The details in the feathers and face was outstanding.

I agree it is worth the money to see where the crew lives and works and how the ship runs.

If you have any doubt that your gratitudes are worth giving to the people behind the scene, take this tour. It will open your eyes to a whole new world.

Oh No! :eek: I was told by someone else on these boards that the age limit is 8. My son is 14 and is obsessed with cruising. I am planning to surpise him with the tour while on board. He would love to see the inner-workings of the ship! He even sent Carnival's CEO a packet containing his review of our last cruise along with pictures, etc..lol

Can anyone confirm the age limit for me? Perhaps I will call Carnival and ask. Any info is appreciated:)

The age limit is 8 years of age but anyone under 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Here is a link to all the information you need to know

http://www.carnival.com/Funville/blogs/faqs/archive/2010/04/09/what-is-the-quot-behind-the-fun-quot-tour.aspx

My husband and my son who was 8 at the time took the Behind the Scenes Tour on the Valor for our Spring Break cruise two years ago. If I remember correctly, the minimum age was 8, so your teenager should be fine!

Not trying to get away with anything so please no flames.:o. But goes anyone know if I would be able to take this tour with a 16 month old in a backpack? My do and I really want to go, but there's no child care except fit I think 12-2 on sea days for the under 2 set... Anyone been on this with a toddler?:confused:

Not trying to get away with anything so please no flames.:o. But goes anyone know if I would be able to take this tour with a 16 month old in a backpack? My do and I really want to go, but there's no child care except fit I think 12-2 on sea days for the under 2 set... Anyone been on this with a toddler?:confused:

If there is a age limit, then I doubt it. My dad works on a Merchant Marine ship. And I use to go on his boats at a young age. But not as a toddler, going up and down those stairs may be stepper then you think. You will have to be carrying him/her everywhere you go.

Although these ships are probably different then a working tug boat. I did go on them as young as 5-6 years old. But then there were times we couldn't go on due to docking issues.

They don't provide day care services during the morning??? I thought they did, just you had to pay by the hour. Have you looked in to that?

Archived