Captain Gundersen's Retirement

Tab K

We received the following in the mail Saturday:

It is with mixed emotions that I announce my retirement as Captain of the ms Prinsendam. After nearly 11 years with HAL, I’m looking forward to spending more time with my family and additional time outdoors hiking boating, fishing, and skiing.

You may know that one of my responsibilities before joining HAL was to supervise the construction of this elegant ship, and I had the distinct honor of serving as Captain during her inaugural year’s cruise around the world. After so many years, it’s difficult to put into words the affection I have for the ms Prinsendam. Her intimate size, abundant amenities and ability to access the world’s remote locations make her one the finest ships at sea.

Going forward, the ms Prinsendam will remain in excellent hands – those of Captain Tim Roberts. He has been serving as Captain for more than 12 years – and Master for HAL since 2010. I am confident the ms Prinsendam will continue delighting her guests for years to come.

While I’ve had the good fortune to see much of the world, from the breathtaking Trollfjord in Norway to remote and enchanting Antarctica, it’s the opportunity to meet wonderful guests like you that I will undoubtedly miss the most. Spending time with such friendly, gracious and inspired travelers as I walked throughout the ship made each day worthwhile.

Thank you for making my time aboard the ms Prinsendam truly unforgettable. I hope our paths will cross again one day, perhaps aboard a future HAL cruise, only this time as a fellow guests!

Thank you and best wishes,

Halle Thon Gundersen

We have sailed on the Prinsendam 5 times for about 160 nights and always enjoyed our time on the Elegant Explorer. It will not be the same without Captain Gundersen. We wish him the best in his retirement!

Ken

I missed the opportunity to sail with Capt. Gunderson, but I have sailed with Captain Roberts, the relief Captain on the Prinsendam since Captain Albert moved over to the Statendam, and now the senior Captain on her. I can assure you the Elegant Explorer is in excellent hands.

Roy

He was indeed one of the finest Captains with whom we have had the pleasure of sailing. His outgoing personality and easy way with pax served HAL very well in the pr area.

We love the Prinsendam and will find it odd the next time we sail on her to not have him at the helm.

harry

He was indeed one of the finest Captains with whom we have had the pleasure of sailing. His outgoing personality and easy way with pax served HAL very well in the pr area.

We love the Prinsendam and will find it odd the next time we sail on her to not have him at the helm.

harry

I'll miss "it's me again" in May - but i am looking forward to who (whom?) we will have. I think Captain Roberts time will be up so whoever the new captain is for the Elegant Explorer that is who we will have:)

the ship has a special crew - I'm sure the new captain will be special too. I hope so - captain Gundersen created a very special environment - long may it reign on the Elegant Explorer:D

Jacqui, do I remember correctly that you are on a Collector's cruise. I think you have a possibility that you could get Capt. Roberts for the Transatlantic and the new Captain for the second leg. I also think that would be awesome.

Roy

Jacqui, do I remember correctly that you are on a Collector's cruise. I think you have a possibility that you could get Capt. Roberts for the Transatlantic and the new Captain for the second leg. I also think that would be awesome.

Roy

You have a good memory Roy - yes it is a collectors' cruise. For some reason I thought that Captain Roberts' time would be up. I'm game for anything:D Experiencing the two new captains (for me) could be kind of fun:) Thanks - our roll call is on a serious countdown now:D

Archived