Disney Land from LA port possible?

Goingagin

Hi everyone

We are on the Oosterdam in Sept 2013 and call into LA. Is it possible to get to Disney land for the day? If so - HOW? We were there in 1984 and remember 'the happiest place in the world' very fondly.

Thanks all

Gerry (Goingagin)

Hi everyone

We are on the Oosterdam in Sept 2013 and call into LA. Is it possible to get to Disney land for the day? If so - HOW? We were there in 1984 and remember 'the happiest place in the world' very fondly.

Thanks all

Gerry (Goingagin)

It could take 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours to Disneyland from the port, depending on what day of the week it is and what time of day.

There's no shuttle/public transportation between the two. You'd have to either rent a car or get a taxi (that would be pretty pricy).

Depending on what time you have to be back onboard, I'd say it's not really an ideal outing to look into. But, maybe HAL will have some sort of excursion there?

It could take 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours to Disneyland from the port, depending on what day of the week it is and what time of day.

There's no shuttle/public transportation between the two. You'd have to either rent a car or get a taxi (that would be pretty pricy).

Depending on what time you have to be back onboard, I'd say it's not really an ideal outing to look into. But, maybe HAL will have some sort of excursion there?

Thanks Shmoo and 7seas,

No shore excursion offered - wont be hiring car - we're from Oz and everyone over there drives on the wrong side of the road you know! We drove USA in our youth but that's a vague memory.

Cheers

Gerry

It's really not possible because of the time constraints. Drive time round trip will eat 90 minutes to even 3 hours out of your time. Lines for the attractions can be as long as an hour. I just don't see it happening. Too bad you don't do an overnight in LA.

If you were disembarking in LA, and staying post-cruise, it's doable. But if you going to be there for a short amount of time and need to return to the ship in the afternoon, you won't have very much time at the park, by the time you figure in getting off the ship, getting a taxi (even more time if you are picking up a rental car), getting to Anaheim if there's rush hour traffic, standing in line to get into the park, you'll be rushing to get everything done before reversing the process (and by mid-afternoon, there will be rush hour traffic). I was just there at California Adventure (next door) in January and there was a lot of traffic going north even at 11pm.

Actually, Disneyland has a bus that picks up from the airport and takes people to Disneyland. Not sure about returning but I'm sure they have it, otherwise how would those that get picked up be returned. I would contact Disneyland directly.

Actually, Disneyland has a bus that picks up from the airport and takes people to Disneyland. Not sure about returning but I'm sure they have it, otherwise how would those that get picked up be returned. I would contact Disneyland directly.

But if the OP is here for a port stay, that won't help.

What a great call name!

Thanks all - it looks like Disney land is out. So what else? We don't shop - we're not trendy - and we have been LA before - sorry - were not impressed - what don't we know that we should do? Open to suggestions - I'm sure Santa Catalina is out?

Gerry

What a great call name!

Thanks all - it looks like Disney land is out. So what else? We don't shop - we're not trendy - and we have been LA before - sorry - were not impressed - what don't we know that we should do? Open to suggestions - I'm sure Santa Catalina is out?

Gerry

Since you've been to L.A. before, have you given any thought to just spending the day on the ship, enjoying the pool without a crowd there, or relaxing in one of the lounges, or taking advantage of the spa's port day discounts?

There will be plenty of taxis at both ends but with tip near $50US with tip each way and 40 to 90 mins depending on LA traffic. Then, about $80 per person for one park and near $100 for two (California Adventure). Weekends and nice weather the crowds can be too much. I live an hour away in the best traffic and now only go on rain days. This is the best way to miss the crowds. Little to no lines on rain days.

Across the bridge from the cruise pier is the Queen Mary museum. About a $20 taxi trip with tip. An interesting tour for history buffs and more interesting to see the evolution of cruising compared to yesteryear. Also across the bridge is an area called Shoreline Village but is shopping and restaurants.

Walking distance to the pier is the USS Iowa battleship museum.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

There will be plenty of taxis at both ends but with tip near $50US with tip each way and 40 to 90 mins depending on LA traffic. Then, about $80 per person for one park and near $100 for two (California Adventure). Weekends and nice weather the crowds can be too much. I live an hour away in the best traffic and now only go on rain days. This is the best way to miss the crowds. Little to no lines on rain days.

Across the bridge from the cruise pier is the Queen Mary museum. About a $20 taxi trip with tip. An interesting tour for history buffs and more interesting to see the evolution of cruising compared to yesteryear. Also across the bridge is an area called Shoreline Village but is shopping and restaurants.

Thanks Chipq

Those walking distance and nearby sites sound great - as does the laze around the ship suggestion. Saw the old Hikawa Maru (1920/30's Cruise ship) in Yokohama and that was fascinating - so your options are very well received.

Cheers

Gerry

From the Queen Mary you could take the Passport Bus (free) to the Aquarium of the Pacific. Taxi back from the Aquarium.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

The Aquarium of the Pacific is pretty nice. If you're a member of your auto club, check to see if they have discounts available to members to US attractions.

If you're into art, find out if your ship offers an excursion to the Getty Museum. Admission is free, but it'll be the taxi fare that will get you (maybe if your ship doesn't have an excursion, get together with others on your cruise and share a taxi). The museum is in the Bel Air area on the top of one of the mountains in the Santa Monica chain -- you have to take their funicular from the parking area to get to the actual museum.

From the Queen Mary you could take the Passport Bus (free) to the Aquarium of the Pacific. Taxi back from the Aquarium.

http://www.aquariumofpacific.org/

http://www.lbtransit.com/services/passport.aspx

Very good point. Driven by it a couple 100 times, dont know how I forgot about it.

Archived