10 hour layover in Paris 10pm-8am. Anything safe to do or see at those hours?

scgamecock

I'll be flying home from Venice after my April Sunshine cruise and there's a 10 hour layover in Paris at CDG. Great, right? Well not so much. It's from 10 pm to 8am.

Is there anything I will be able to do or see that time of night that would be safe for me to do? I'll be solo. Would I at least be able to take a taxi and go to see the Eiffel Tower and get a picture or two? Anything else?

Any suggestions?

You might do better in the 'Ports of Call' section, but CDG is 30km taxi drive from downtown Paris. I'm not sure what sort of taxi fare that would be because I used the train/subway when I was there, but I wouldn't expect it to be cheap. Maybe someone can chime in with knowledge if the trains run all night.

I would take the RER from CDG into Paris. Then hire a taxi to take you round to the various sights. Figure about an hour each way on the train to give yourself plenty of time. Take it to the Chatelet Les Halles and get a taxi from there. Double check the train times. A taxi will run appx 50 Euros from the airport into the city. Here is a site with easy instructions on how to take teh train from CDG into Paris:

http://parisbytrain.com/paris-airport-terminal-2-train-photo-tour/

My suggestion is to fire whoever made those travel arrangements :). And contrary to the other advice posted we do not think its a good idea to go into Paris at 10pm at night to see the sites :). In your situation we would try to change the air arrangements. If that is not possible we would book a motel near the airport so we can at least get a few hours sleep.

Hank

My suggestion is to fire whoever made those travel arrangements :). And contrary to the other advice posted we do not think its a good idea to go into Paris at 10pm at night to see the sites :). In your situation we would try to change the air arrangements. If that is not possible we would book a motel near the airport so we can at least get a few hours sleep.

Hank

Totally agree with this post!

The air schedule is what it is. I saved $300 over the next cheapest flight itinerary. Just trying to make the best of it and see something while I'm there. There will be plenty of time for sleeping on the flight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

The air schedule is what it is. I saved $300 over the next cheapest flight itinerary. Just trying to make the best of it and see something while I'm there. There will be plenty of time for sleeping on the flight.

Well, assuming you do not get too delayed enroute and can get through the airport pretty fast you can probably take the RER into town (although the schedule will be limited this time of night). Once in Paris there are some late night (or all night) Brasseries and you could probably find a bar (if you are in the proper part of Paris). But you will need to be back at the airport by 5:30 am which means getting the RER around 4:30-4:45 and you would need to find out if they even run that time of the morning. But its a lot of hassle to go for a late night snack.

Hank

Looks like fun, but I'll never make it there by 11. :(

I would take the RER from CDG into Paris. Then hire a taxi to take you round to the various sights. Figure about an hour each way on the train to give yourself plenty of time. Take it to the Chatelet Les Halles and get a taxi from there. Double check the train times. A taxi will run appx 50 Euros from the airport into the city. Here is a site with easy instructions on how to take teh train from CDG into Paris:

http://parisbytrain.com/paris-airport-terminal-2-train-photo-tour/

That is a very useful link. The last train on Saturday night is at 11:56. I should be able to make that. Then looks like my only option back would be taxi. Expensive, but do-able.

Looks like it will cost me $100 to see the Eiffel Tower in the middle of the night. Not sure if it's worth that or not, but when will I ever get back to Paris?

Go on a little adventure or sit in an airport for 10 hours... decisions... decisions...

At that time of night, you might find a taxi willing to take you to the Eiffel Tower and down Champs Elysees along the Seine, then back to the airport.

DO NOT have them drop you off, you may have a difficult time in the early morning hours of finding another taxi to take you back to the airport.

Depending on time of travel, traffic, etc the cost can be exhorbitant. We paid 111 E from an airport hotel to Hard Rock Cafe in Paris, the return at 10:00 pm was only 40 E.

Have fun!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Alot of the cafes on the Champs Elysee are open past midnight, and there are a few cafes closer to the Notre Dame/Rue St Michel area that are open pretty much all night (though you'll be with chain smokers/drunk people). It might be interesting. ;)

Here's what I came up with... I've arranged to have a private car & driver for two hours for 210 Euro. They will be waiting on me when I clear customs with a sign with my name. They will take me into Paris. To the Eiffel Tower for a few minutes and drive by some of the other famous sights so I can take a few pictures. I think this will be the safest and easiest way to do this by myself, albeit a little expensive.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Here's what I came up with... I've arranged to have a private car & driver for two hours for 210 Euro. They will be waiting on me when I clear customs with a sign with my name. They will take me into Paris. To the Eiffel Tower for a few minutes and drive by some of the other famous sights so I can take a few pictures. I think this will be the safest and easiest way to do this by myself, albeit a little expensive.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Sounds like a great solution. S'amusez bien!

Archived