Insignia Coming Back

bohaiboy

I have teh 2014 schedule for Oceania and it indicates the Insignia is a fifth ship. There is little to no information about it. How does it compare to the newer ships in the fleet, etc etc etc? The first sailing looks to be May 8, 2014

I have teh 2014 schedule for Oceania and it indicates the Insignia is a fifth ship. There is little to no information about it. How does it compare to the newer ships in the fleet, etc etc etc? The first sailing looks to be May 8, 2014

When the Insignia left the Oceania fleet, heading for a charter with Hapag Loyd, she was the mirror image of the Nautica and Regatta. Only the art work was different.

Insignia, Regatta and Nautica, commonly called "The R Ships" because of their Renaissance Cruises pedigree, are half the size of the newer, Oceania built, Marina and Riviera, and naturally lack some of their big ship bells and whistles. Despite this, some passengers continue to prefer the R ships for their intimacy and charm.

Oceania management has assured us, here on these boards, that Insignia was well treated by the Germans, and will be returning to Oceania in 2014 only after a significant refit, which may well make her the best equipped vessel of her class.

There's no such thing as too many R ships

Those are the only ones I want to be on -- so much so that I had to turn to Azamara for more R ship options.

Tes, as Jim & Stan posted, it is their intimacy and charm that draws me to them and away from O's newer larger ships.

I for one am ecstatic about the return of Insignia -- gives me 3 vessels to choose from when looking at O itineraries.

but I didn't like the shower over the tub. I thought it was dangerous. I hope when they refit these ships they will change it to a straight shower.

Agree completely. If they remove the tub and make it just a shower that would be great. What a nice big shower it would be. The step down from the tub is very awkward.

I love the larger ships with their choices of restaurants, larger rooms, lounges, etc. The only thing I like better on the R ships is the library.

To each's own, I suppose.

We're with you, Naomi! :D

105718.jpg170424.jpg100011.jpg100803.jpg115859.jpg For us, Marina and Riviera are the perfect evolution of what the R ships were at the end of the last century. Red Ginger, The expanded Lido Grill, Those AMAZING Suites, even the stair access to the main pool, make it very hard for us to look back.

Yep. Actually writing this response from the tub. Unfortunately it's my tub. Have to gird my loins to drive into Toronto to try on wedding dresses with DD, and then apply for Chinese Visas in am.

Wish me luck on both counts!

Mo

Mo I would take the train if I had that option

I hate driving to the big city also

Lyn

I would too and they have a big sale on, but I have to pick her up from medical appt and the bridal place is in Markham. Groom needs vehicle. Whatcha gonna do? I had to light a fire to get her to go. Wedding is in sept. We are away all of March. Things have to happen. Thank goodness we have venue and wedding planner!

Mo

I would too and they have a big sale on, but I have to pick her up from medical appt and the bridal place is in Markham. Groom needs vehicle. Whatcha gonna do? I had to light a fire to get her to go. Wedding is in sept. We are away all of March. Things have to happen. Thank goodness we have venue and wedding planner!

Mo

Well if you need to go to Markham that is another story

have a safe trip

Lyn

What I mean is: Does anyone ever use the tub on a cruiseship or in a hotel to take a bath?

Yes, of course. We love to have both a tub and a shower.

Soap and hot water just in case the tub hasn't been adequately cleaned and disinfecting wipes of knobs of shower, sink and tub, too.

On the other hand, swimming pools and hot tubs are rarely, if ever, used by us as more than a pretty oasis to sit near.

Floridiana,

There are lots of people who prefer baths to showers! Especially Brits ... I'm not trying to make a gross generalization here, but in our Coop we have an English couple who were manic about being able to use their bathtub. (I don't know if we can include Europeans in this preference so I won't.)

I would guess that most Americans prefer showers ... but I'm not among them.

Mura

And in the top suites the jacuzzi is a real delight...

Not sure it's worth paying twice as much for the jacuzzi, but I do love it when I have it!

And the first time we had one (an OS on Regatta), I really needed it because I'd blown out my knee the day before we boarded ... getting in and out of the tub was difficult, but once I was in it, it was heaven.

Mura

Maybe one of the "great debates" Betsy and I have ever had. Whenever I have remodeled a house, she insists we should remove every tub and install luxurious showers instead. I have to remind her that we need to retain at least one tub to avoid reducing the market. We currently have three full baths, one with a tub that no one has ever used.

On the "R" ships, we actually prefer a veranda cabin because of the shower which so many folks denigrate. We really don't care to ever step over the side of a tub in order to shower. Betsy, as a retired Physical Therapist, is especially adamant about the difficulty many have about climbing over a tub wall. For my part, I'm just too lazy ;).

Sometimes we don't have a choice, in many hotels, in the "R" ship suites, and even once or twice on Riviera when we were pressed for time and needed to use both showers at once -- the stand-alone shower and the one in the tub. But, we never take a bath :).

Too bad they do not have those walk-in tubs for cruise ships then it would satisfy both groups

Since my knee replacement I am very cautious getting in/out of the tub to shower here at home but it is the only choice I have

On the ships I like the stand alone shower

Lyn

This is a very limited survey but clearly we have those who like tubs and those who like showers and those who will take what is there.

I would hate to deny either side their choice ...

I can understand why smaller cabins do not have the option of a tub. And my complaint about the below-PH cabins on the "R" ships is because of the shower -- I love showers, too, I just want them to be BIGGER!

So for me, on the "R" ships, I want that shower/tub combo. And I haven't reached the point (even with some arthritis) where it is impossible for me to get into or out of the tub. I do believe I have heard that the handicapped cabins have a tub which is rather puzzling. Perhaps a sign of the designs offered back when the "R" ships were designed.

Now, if the showers on these ships were spacious -- I would not require a tub. But I know there are people who really want one.

Mura

Archived