Confused About Gratuities

This might be a cheapskate question.... RCI recommendations for are listed per day. If you don't eat in the MDR at all on a given day are you still expected to tip? Say on a port day I order room service for breakfast, lunch in port and go to windjammer for dinner. Is it still customary to tip the waiters for that day? Truth be told I consider myself a generous tipper and will probably slip a little cash to the waiters and steward on top of auto gratuity. Being a first timer I just don't know the protocol. I'm definitely not going to undertip but I certainly don't want to OVERtip

[quote name='albones456']This might be a cheapskate question.... RCI recommendations for are listed per day. If you don't eat in the MDR at all on a given day are you still expected to tip? Say on a port day I order room service for breakfast, lunch in port and go to windjammer for dinner. Is it still customary to tip the waiters for that day? Truth be told I consider myself a generous tipper and will probably slip a little cash to the waiters and steward on top of auto gratuity. Being a first timer I just don't know the protocol. I'm definitely not going to undertip but I certainly don't want to OVERtip[/quote]
You will find , as I did , there is no correct answer for this. If you ask 100 times, you will get 300 answers. I have never cruised, but I have figured out that much. People tell you, auto-tip and dont worry about it. It is a cruise and you should just have fun. Others tell you , if you tip in person, it still gets cut up between all the help. I think I have decided to autotip and not worry about it. Too little time to have so much to figure out.

[quote name='JYD Hawkeye']At what point and time do you make reservations for shows on the ship? I couldn't find it on RCCL site.[/QUOTE]

There are no reserved shows on Mariner. Everything is walk in, except the ice show. You have to get free tickets onboard for the ice show. Ticket pick up times and location will be in the Compass daily planner.

[quote name='albones456']This might be a cheapskate question.... RCI recommendations for are listed per day. If you don't eat in the MDR at all on a given day are you still expected to tip? Say on a port day I order room service for breakfast, lunch in port and go to windjammer for dinner. Is it still customary to tip the waiters for that day? Truth be told I consider myself a generous tipper and will probably slip a little cash to the waiters and steward on top of auto gratuity. Being a first timer I just don't know the protocol. I'm definitely not going to undertip but I certainly don't want to OVERtip[/quote]

Yes you should still tip, as the staff that works in the Windjammer also works in the dining room on different days. Some people will just tip the person in the WJ who helps them, but most just do the auto tip for ease and not having to carry cash with them;)

Archived