Cave Tubing: Food and Shoes

KnuckleDragger

We will be cave tubing with VIV next week.

1) Will I be able to grab a small snack from the ship, like a banana or something, to tide me over until lunch?

You are told not to take food off the ship, but there is no one checking bags for it.

It's a no no especially for fruit do to micro organism and the whole prevention of spreading intrusive organisms.

2) Any lunch recommendations for those booking with VIV?

There's a BBQ place at the tubing welcome center, that's really you own option unless you're on a 'private' tour and your guide is willing to take you elsewhere. If that's the case, he's likely to have some good recommendations.

3) Will crocs suffice for water shoes?

I know they don't allow flip flops, not sure about the crocs. The current is sometimes swift so you may lose one if it isn't on tightly.

1) You're not suppose to take unpackaged food from the ship. There are health and import regulations in all ports preventing this. Unopened boxes of cereal are about it. Bring some packages of sandwich crackers or a coupel of energy bars from home with you.

2) I don't know what VIV includes or offers for lunch in their tours. Some operators can arrange lunch at the site, its a nice little buffet mix of Belizean and Americna dishes (hamburgers, pasta, etc.). I fVIV is bringing you directly back to the tender pier, then head for Wet Lizard and have their fried conch and a cold Belikin.

3) Crocs aren't going to make it. Too easy to slip off the feet. Not really supportive enough for the walk to the intake point. Water shoes (el cheapos from Academy or WalMart, will work for the tubing but might be a bit hard on the feet for the walk. I suggest wearing an old pair of running shoes or sneakers like Chuck Taylors or Vans knockoffs and bringing your crocs for after tubing. Give the old shoes away, wet or dry. People there will take them and thank you kindly.

Went last month with V.I.V. My sister had to rent water shoes at the park and they gave her Crocs (well, generic ones) with the back strap. They worked especially well when we had to cross the river and all the sand/silt, grass, etc. flowed right through her shoes!

Hi. We're also going on a Viv cave tubing excursion. If you wear the sneakers for the hike to get there and give them away before cave tubing, how do you carry the water shoes with you while hiking? I didn't think you could wear a backpack or carry a tote bag while hiking because there is no way to do cave tubing with a back pack. I'd rather not have to dispose of a perfectly good backpack before the tubing. I thought that you had to leave your belongings in the locked bus which you leave before you start the hike and don't get back to until after the cave tubing is done. Is there somewhere to put a backpack while doing the water tubing? Thanks for the info.

The only place you can put something is on the van before hiking to the river. There is no place to store anything beyond that point. Even if you left something at the end of the hike, you tube down the river and exit near the van parking.

On the hike you will cross a river, which is early in the hike. If you wear sneakers, you'll be wet for the bulk of the hike.

We wore keens type sandals. I agree that ordinary water shoes would be rough for the hike. Crocs with a back strap (so they won't slide off) should be fine.

We were there in late November. The air temperature was warm (probably in the low 80's), however the river was a little chilly. The guides referred to it as "brisk"! We didn't find it uncomfortable since only your butt and lower back is in the water, but I wouldn't have wanted to be fully immersed.

My husband and I have both purchased Keen Sandles for the Trip. They're not cheap, but I think they'll be great for the cave tubing, and also for our other beach/water excursions. A good investment, as we'll get lots of use for camping and whatnot when we're not cruising.

My husband and I have both purchased Keen Sandles for the Trip. They're not cheap, but I think they'll be great for the cave tubing, and also for our other beach/water excursions. A good investment, as we'll get lots of use for camping and whatnot when we're not cruising.

DS and I got Keen Newport H2's and DH got a sturdy sneaker-type water shoe. Hopefully they will work well!

Hi!

Concerning shoes we will wear tennis shoes and change into water shoes for the hike to the caves. But there is another question that came to my mind: Did you leave your valuables in the van??? Feels a little risky for me. We are considering to take a waterproof little bag instead. What did you do?

And did you walk through the rainforest in your swimming things only? I feel uneasy thinking of me walking through the rainforest in a bikini, especially because of the bugs and mosquitos. Did you carry a towel?

So many questions of what to wear and what we can take with us to the caves...I hope people who did the tour can help :)

I went cave tubing with Cavetubing.BZ last week. Great outfit by the way!. Don't worry about leaving stuff locked in van. The area is packed with tourist vans/buses and patrolled by park rangers--very safe.

Do not take a towel on the hike and cave tubing. Take one with your to change if you want but you will be dry by the time you change your clothes. Hike is about 45 minutes on a very rocky trail so wear shoes with good soles--Keenes, old tennis shoes, etc. people who wore Crocs were complaining. Hope this helps.

I made the mistake of wearing water shoes and man I felt every rock, so I recommend old sneakers.

If you feel uncomfortable walking the trail in your bikini wear a pair of old short or something that you don't mind getting wet.

You could also pack bug spray and spray that on before you start your hike. Wal-Mart sells a travel sized bottle for only $1 that will have more than enough spray for one or two people.

I bought some and then forgot to bring it off the ship. I got maybe 2 smallish bites nothing bad.

I found the water refreshing after the walk as I got hot and sweaty. However towards the end I was getting a bit chilly but nothing too bad.

We were in a hurry to get back to port so we wouldn't miss the last tender that none in the group ate at the little BBQ place. There was a woman who had a snack table that was selling packaged snacks and bottled drinks so I purchased a gatorade and a little baggie of chips to tide me over till I got back on ship to eat.

I would definately cave tube again it was fun.

Archived