Information Gap - Oceania misleads, Oceania's CCers correct

true45

Writing this out of frustration. Tried this evening to contact Oceania's customer service via phone. It is 8pm -- there is supposed to be customer service till 9pm. We watch our grandbaby all day & sometimes it is hard to make phone calls. Got on the roundabout -- press 1 if you, press 2, etc. --Pressed 0 for person, got rerouted several times. Then pressed 2 for existing reservation. Wasted several minutes with the reroutes. Have a question about excursion package -- was on hold for 18 minutes, then gave up. No people got on the line not even a recording that you have ____ minutes to wait. OK, 1/2 hr gone.

Just off a great 11-night Carib sailing on Celebrity Equinox. Celebrity's phone & email customer service leaves alot to be desired but we usually get good info from the Captains Club phone number. Customer service is almost always excellent onboard the ships.

Somehow we expected more from Oceania. Since we are new to Oceania and have never been to Europe, in planning our big 45-anniversary sailing, we have lot of questions. We booked October 18, 2013 Rome-Venice Riviera and were considering hotel packages. We were told by a male rep at Oceania that if we booked the hotels, transportation to and from ports and airport and porterage are included. I directly asked about the air deviation and he said there is no fee if you take the hotel package -- and that 270 days out is when Oceania works with you on the air. My TA spoke to a female rep and was told the same thing. So we booked 2 nights prior hotels and 2 nights post hotels through Oceania. Everything was arranged through Oceania -- my TA said she would call Oceania on Jan 22 (270 days out) as we would be on the Equinox. She said that they said no, it is given to you 75 days out after final payment. CCers were right with the information on Cruise Critic. But Oceania reps lied to us.

We also have April 2014 Regatta booked 12-nights and are wondering if we are making a big mistake. I looked for a "person" to contact through the website and although execs are listed there are no email addresses except for "customer service" which I tried. Frank Del Rio's interview in the NY Times talks about trust but I don't have any for Oceania, and can't reach anyone. I did read a post with his phone number, but calling him doesn't seem like the right thing to do. I know you Oceania fans may be upset with me, but I thought I would be an Oceania fan too -- in fact, I was already pre-cruise -- had told lots of people about the cruiseline.

Thanks,

Linda

I am sure it will get sorted out

But I think somewhere along the road things got confused

I do not think you get your air routing 270 days out.... only when you do the deviation & pay the fee

If you are doing the hotel packages you are not really deviating you are just flying in to arrive at the hotel according to the number of days you booked ...so you still are at the mercy of the air dept

When you do the hotel package Oceania still arranges the air the same as if you do not do the hotel package so you will not know until closer to sailing

Now I could be wrong & i am sure someone will correct me ;)

Lyn

I am sure it will get sorted out

But I think somewhere along the road things got confused

I do not think you get your air routing 270 days out.... only when you do the deviation & pay the fee

If you are doing the hotel packages you are not really deviating you are just flying in to arrive at the hotel according to the number of days you booked ...so you still are at the mercy of the air dept

When you do the hotel package Oceania still arranges the air the same as if you do not do the hotel package so you will not know until closer to sailing

Now I could be wrong & i am sure someone will correct me ;)

Lyn

I think you are exactly right. The only way you get your flights etc at 270 days out is if you are doing a deviation and paying the deviation fee. Otherwise you are in the big pool waiting for flight assignments after the final payment is made.

I wonder how the OP did today with FDR. Hopefully things got straightened out and explained to her satisfaction.

The OP has confused me a bit. A good TA should know the answers to these questions. (rules surrounding air arrangements)

TA should have sent out excursions info as soon as the cruise was booked. Shouldn't TA service their client by calling Oceania during regular business hrs to get the answers to his/her questions? Why is the poster waiting on hold when they have a TA?

We sometimes need to remember the value of a TA who is familiar with our cruise-line of choice. If we don't have a TA who can answer our questions or is willing to find answers. . . . why are we using a TA at all?

Call volume is also very high right now based on everyone getting "pre-orders" in for the newly released cruises.

Yes, I booked another cruise today! Oops . . . . actually my TA did;)

I continue to be impressed with FDR's "hands-on" approach to managing Oceania.

Yes, it was kind of amazing to me too.

I just sent FDR an email thanking him for our conversation this morning and for having one of his representatives help me out with the air. I understand their policies and can work with them.That is really service when someone at the top can get involved like that. He was very gracious on the phone and I know we will have a great time on our 2 Oceania cruises. Now I can just relax and enjoy the planning that is left.

Thank you all on CC too.

Linda

The OP has confused me a bit. A good TA should know the answers to these questions. (rules surrounding air arrangements)

TA should have sent out excursions info as soon as the cruise was booked. Shouldn't TA service their client by calling Oceania during regular business hrs to get the answers to his/her questions? Why is the poster waiting on hold when they have a TA?

We sometimes need to remember the value of a TA who is familiar with our cruise-line of choice. If we don't have a TA who can answer our questions or is willing to find answers. . . . why are we using a TA at all?

Call volume is also very high right now based on everyone getting "pre-orders" in for the newly released cruises.

Yes, I booked another cruise today! Oops . . . . actually my TA did;)

Yes but how do you find a good TA! Maybe we need to move to USA. I've never been able to find one here in Australia! I've just had an email from one I asked to book us on an Oceania cruise, one of the new itineraries, and she emailed back that the 2014 summer itineraries don't open until June this year and to contact her then! Imagine if I knew no better. No free gratuities and probably the best cabins gone. No such thing as OBC credits or rebates etc for us here. The last Regent cruise we were on the only request I made of my TA was my booking reference number and after several unanswered calls/emails I just rang Regent myself and got it direct from them. Did everything else myself. But the booking had to officially go through her, no choice. Lucky, lucky Americans!

Kudos to FDR. Having been on 45 cruises, this is our first (24 day Riviera 3/28 & 4/7 B2B) on Oceania and with top management so involved I'm sure it will be our choice in the future.

Connie & Rick Newman

It is not allowed to give references on this forum.

My best advice is to ask your fellow cruisers while on-board your next cruise.

Word-of-mouth from satisfied customers is the most reliable in my opinion.

I heard about Oceania from a co-worker just off a cruise. She could not say enough about the wonderful food and service. I booked our first cruise with a huge internet company and received the minimum in service from them. While on-board I heard the stories of TAs who were generous with their time and had years of experience with Oceania. I gave one a call. She answers all my questions promptly and emails me frequently to remind me if it's time to book specialty restaurants or if an upgrade offer is made available etc.

I have three more cruises booked right now. All with the same TA.

Good luck!

true45, I too will be on that April 12-day cruise on Regatta. Although I have 700 days of cruising, this will be my first trip with Oceania, mainly because I wanted to see Bermuda on a trip that began and ended here in Florida. No flying is a plus.

As a solo cruiser, I'm used to usually paying about 60% single supplement if booking a regular oceanview, since the balconies I used to enjoy when my husband was alive require 100% supplement. On Oceania, however, it's 100% even for an inside. I booked a Guarantee G and that's exactly what I got. My documents arrived yesterday. Glad to be in the center of the ship and perhaps the handicapped cabin they gave me is a big larger, who knows?

I've heard great things about Oceania and am looking forward to this cruise.

If booking within Australia I would recommend using a TA who is also an Accredited Cruise Consultant; at least then you are dealing with someone who has "some" knowledge of the many available Cruise Companies and "cruise lingo"!!

From what my friend in OZ tells me it makes no difference ... it is in the hands of the GSA no matter what agent you use & getting information & documents in a timely manner as we do here is non existent in Australia

Many Australians have complaints on the topic

If you have good service from your TA there then that is a rare find from what I have heard

Lyn

Silvercruiser,

So interesting -- we booked the april 12-night miami-miami for 2014 via bermuda also happy that there is no air involved. Overnights -- Hamilton and St. George too. Was on Celebrity Horizon several yrs ago NY-NY Bermuda but only a few days& loved it. I have no doubt that Regatta sailing will be even better. My DH who is not really impulsive as a rule, surprised me & said we just had to go. Please post your reactions or review. We booked inside on Regatta Cat F and have booked Riviera Deluxe Oceanview on Riviera for 1st trip to Europe.

BON VOYAGE.

Linda

From what my friend in OZ tells me it makes no difference ... it is in the hands of the GSA no matter what agent you use & getting information & documents in a timely manner as we do here is non existent in Australia

Many Australians have complaints on the topic

If you have good service from your TA there then that is a rare find from what I have heard

Lyn

Unfortunately Australian passengers are at the end of the communication chain of Cruise Head Office to GSA to TA because of our geographical location; as a retired TA I do know how difficult it can be. Saying that, when I needed some questions answered about our Oceania cruise in 2011 I went direct to the GSA who could not have been more helpful and prompt in reply.

I have found Oceania (just booked Valparaiso to Papeete Dec13) to be a little less forthcoming than Celebrity. It could be that we are Celebrity Elite? I dunno. But we did get confusing info re: air deviation time frame from CSRs on Oceania. I thought it was 270 days also; 75 days they assign you air arrangements by default?

Archived