Is It Making You Think Twice About Cruising?

startwin

I so agree with the fact that it has really made me stop and think. My husband is mobility impaired and on about l5 meds a day. He LOVES to Cruise and all he looks forward to. We have over l00 Cruises and only have had one incident and that was just to stay at Sea an extra two days due to Storm. I will now pack extra meds, a weeks supply at least and pray they really do care for the handicapped in such an incident. He can only use scooter can not walk. They say they carry them to proper deck if an emergency occurs. I so wonder now if that is all true. He is asking me now to book and I am so hesitant. I am scared he is not. I have not picked up that phone yet, any thoughts on this??

I so agree with the fact that it has really made me stop and think. My husband is mobility impaired and on about l5 meds a day. He LOVES to Cruise and all he looks forward to. We have over l00 Cruises and only have had one incident and that was just to stay at Sea an extra two days due to Storm. I will now pack extra meds, a weeks supply at least and pray they really do care for the handicapped in such an incident. He can only use scooter can not walk. They say they carry them to proper deck if an emergency occurs. I so wonder now if that is all true. He is asking me now to book and I am so hesitant. I am scared he is not. I have not picked up that phone yet, any thoughts on this??

There is a handicapped cruisers section on these boards and I am wondering if you shouldn't also post your question there as well. You might get some helpful input. I can appreciate your anxiety over the problem.

I always make sure we have two week's worth of extra meds as delays might be due to more than cruise related issues. One of us might be in hospital which would delay getting home. Also the volcano issue in Iceland which delayed flights from Europe for many days comes to mind.

Make the booking.

The statistical odds are very much in your favor. There have been relatively few serious incidents on board cruise ships, especially considering the number of ships sailing and the number of passengers being served.

Living one's life in fear is a poor choice, IMO.

My DH is in the same situation as yours.

We are still going to cruise. We always take extra meds with us. Not much we can do if there is no electricity, because his power chair needs to be recharged. But there is a way to make it a manual chair so I can push him, and that is what we would have to do.

We have had "minor" fires aboard several of our HAL cruises. As I recall, the captain announced they were in the incinerator. And when they were extinguished, he came back to reassure pax.

I think the next time that happens, I will be a little more anxious than in the past.

Just wondering.... given all the dire reports from the Carnival ship this week, is it putting anyone off of cruising? I've heard people say no way would they ever cruise anyway, and the Carnival situation is a good reason. For myself, it won't stop me cruising, but it certainly does make you wonder if it could ever happen to you. And this is the second time in recent years with Carnival.

Seriously? No more than I would not fly after hearing of the few airline accidents. Good grief. If people are going to worry about getting on a ship because of this, they might as well not travel. There are fires in hotels. There is crime in different countries. Planes do occasionally but rarely crash, as do cruise ships rarely have incidents. And to use your favorite icon, :rolleyes:

I think this situation was caused by Corporate desires to make a profit. Any of us who cruise have to be aware this could happen again. Will it stop me from cruising again? NO Will it make me hesitant to cruise Carnival? NO

The Hudson plane crash was caused by hitting a bunch of birds. This can happen anywhere at any time. It does not keep me from flying. I will take my chances.

Carnival's response was inadequate and they could have done better in all respects, but I will cruise anytime anywhere I can afford it.:D

With all due respect anyone that has sailed on Veendam or some of the other HAL ships will know of maintainence problems....a/c plumbing, pools.

3 years ago was my last cruise w/ HAL on Veendam.....I could list & verify the problems onboard.( I am a 4 Star Mariner starting to sail w/ HAL back in 1977). I have not nor will be back onboard a HAL ship. Too bad - they ruined a good thing.

CCL did the same thing with the QE2/ CUNARD starting back in the early 2000's...a friend of mine was a Chief Engineer with CCL.....enough said.

I understand you have a financial interest w/ CCL but to grandstand for this company is below you...sorry to say.

ROTTERDAM,

Your post No. 66 in this thread you said that you cruised in VEENDAM in August 2012. Above you say that it was three years ago that you cruised in VEENDAM.

Please don't say that I am 'grandstanding' for HAL. I call it like I see it. When I read something here on CC that does not sound right I start asking questions. More often than not there is a perfectly good explanation for something that is being said on CC and nothing at all to do with big bad Carnival Corporation. As an example... your cracked glass on the balcony of VEENDAM. What exactly was cracked and how long had it been in that condition? It might have cracked the week before your cruise and might well have been repaired the day after you left. Did you reeport it to anyone? What did they tell you? Perhaps they were well aware of the crack but needed for a spare to be ordered and fitted. Can't just check in at the harware shop and buy a new one.

Archived