Is It Making You Think Twice About Cruising?

startwin

I heard people today saying they would never go on a cruise. I wouldn't hesitate and come April am off again. Stuff happens everyday, you can't just hide in the house and not participate. I fell bad for all those people on the Triumph and would never want to be in that situation but I'm still cruising.

I also will not let this incident, nor any others deter me from cruising.

Life is iffy no matter where you are, should I hide in my home??

I will not hide, nor give into any fear of what could happen. Life is for us to live, not fear and I will not fear life:)

Joanie

This is bad but cannot compare to Concordia at least no on lost there life. Have been on 55 cruises and only 2 months away from 56 on Maasdam . Never was a fan of Carnival did one cruise with them in the 80's and that was enough , bad thing is this could happen to any cruise line.

I certainly don't ignore cruise ship mishaps, from the very tragic Concordia to the most recent Triumph situation, but it no more keeps me from cruising than seeing a car accident keeps me from driving. It gets my attention and reminds me there are risks. It makes me think a little more about our safety and what I might do given the same circumstances but I think that's pretty natural and understandable. Interestingly it was a subject of discussion last night at our regular restaurant we frequent with a number of regulars. They know we cruise so they asked if this would change our attitude about cruising and I gave pretty much the same answer as above. Not surprisingly the folks who already have no interest in cruising, for whatever reason, are now even more convinced but you'd kind of expect that. I guess there'll be some "fence-sitters" who will be pushed to the no-way, no-how will they cruise decision now but again that's probably natural and understandable.

The simple fact is that almost nothing has changed in the thousands of years since humans first put to sea in boats.

This week's events have shown us again that a huge, sparkling, modern cruise ship is just as lonely and vulnerable on the open ocean as a tea clipper, a wooden caravel, a Viking longship, a Phoenician galley, or a raft made of reeds. The only real difference is the number of people the ship can carry.

Beneath the veneer of luxury and the whitewash of advertising lurks the awesome, horrible truth that few dare to acknowlege: The sea is a dangerous and unpredictable place. The hubris that somehow 'modern' technology can tame the waters leads to disallusionment at best, and disaster at worst.

It's pointless to distinguish between master and crew; between salty jack-tar and spoiled passenger. Everyone shares the risk, and everyone (to some extent) shares the same drive for adventure. What else would compel us to slip the bond with solid ground and float free on a fickle medium?

Running down the (long, long) list of everything that can possibly go wrong is an important part of my pre-cruise gut check. I hope that everyone who thinks that a sea voyage is guaranteed to be fun and care-free takes an object lesson from the Splendor/Concordia/Triumph stories and stays home. It doesn't matter how much you pay - money can't calm the ocean.

As far as maintenance goes, let's face it: a ship is just a machine. An enormous (and enormously complicated) machine. And just as humans are imperfect, so will our creations be imperfect. Nothing will work right all of the time. When assessing risk, we must always be careful not to confuse that which is impossible with that which is merely highly improbable. Given enough chances, the improbable will eventually happen. And while we can cross our fingers and hope it doesn't happen when we're around, we always need to be prepared for it just the same.

While cruise operators certainly bear great responsibility for the safety (and, to a lesser extent, the comfort) of their passengers, I think that ultimately the burden is on the passengers to fully understand and accept what they're doing by going to sea. Poseidon doesn't care if you're Odysseus of Ithaca, or retirees from Ithaca, New York; honeymooners from Columbus or Christofer Columbus. When we presume to tread in his realm, we're all in the 'same boat'.

So... after my usual deluge of verbiage, the answer to the question originally posed: Yes. I always think twice about cruising. And then I go anyway.

It gives one pause to consider whether a land vacation might be a better idea for some people, especially those with health and age issues and the handicapped whose mobility is a problem. These last few days on the Triumph has got to have been very difficult or worse for those who are not young or healthy. I myself would still cruise I think, but on smaller ships only.

Why must you post factual things?! Very good point.

I can say after our Veendam experience I have zero doubts HAL skimps as much as possible on maintenance, and that is an unsettling thought.

And I have zero doubts that you are absolutely incorrect.

The simple fact is that almost nothing has changed in the thousands of years since humans first put to sea in boats.

This week's events have shown us again that a huge, sparkling, modern cruise ship is just as lonely and vulnerable on the open ocean as a tea clipper, a wooden caravel, a Viking longship, a Phoenician galley, or a raft made of reeds. The only real difference is the number of people the ship can carry.

Beneath the veneer of luxury and the whitewash of advertising lurks the awesome, horrible truth that few dare to acknowlege: The sea is a dangerous and unpredictable place. The hubris that somehow 'modern' technology can tame the waters leads to disallusionment at best, and disaster at worst.

It's pointless to distinguish between master and crew; between salty jack-tar and spoiled passenger. Everyone shares the risk, and everyone (to some extent) shares the same drive for adventure. What else would compel us to slip the bond with solid ground and float free on a fickle medium?

Running down the (long, long) list of everything that can possibly go wrong is an important part of my pre-cruise gut check. I hope that everyone who thinks that a sea voyage is guaranteed to be fun and care-free takes an object lesson from the Splendor/Concordia/Triumph stories and stays home. It doesn't matter how much you pay - money can't calm the ocean.

As far as maintenance goes, let's face it: a ship is just a machine. An enormous (and enormously complicated) machine. And just as humans are imperfect, so will our creations be imperfect. Nothing will work right all of the time. When assessing risk, we must always be careful not to confuse that which is impossible with that which is merely highly improbable. Given enough chances, the improbable will eventually happen. And while we can cross our fingers and hope it doesn't happen when we're around, we always need to be prepared for it just the same.

While cruise operators certainly bear great responsibility for the safety (and, to a lesser extent, the comfort) of their passengers, I think that ultimately the burden is on the passengers to fully understand and accept what they're doing by going to sea. Poseidon doesn't care if you're Odysseus of Ithaca, or retirees from Ithaca, New York; honeymooners from Columbus or Christofer Columbus. When we presume to tread in his realm, we're all in the 'same boat'.

So... after my usual deluge of verbiage, the answer to the question originally posed: Yes. I always think twice about cruising. And then I go anyway.

Very thoughtful, well written----and true.

where is that darned LIKE button:)

I can say after our Veendam experience I have zero doubts HAL skimps as much as possible on maintenance, and that is an unsettling thought.

The continuing plumbing/air cond problems on Veendam and a few other ships over a period of years pretty much settles this maintanence arguement. There also was the failed CDC inspection that involved some maintanence issues.

Our shattered-for-months balcony glass, our flooded carpet and the dining room ceiling net factual prove otherwise.

Let's not mention a/c failures that run rampant in warm climates.

The continuing plumbing/air cond problems on Veendam and a few other ships over a period of years pretty much settles this maintanence arguement. There also was the failed CDC inspection that involved some maintanence issues.

It may settle the argument in your mind, Peaches. However, unless you have first hand knowledge that all of these problems are due to skimpy maintenance, as opposed to unforeseen or normal wear and tear and, further, that such is the norm on all HAL ships, I respectfully decline your "judgment." We certainly have never experienced or witnessed the results of any "skimpy maintenance", and we have sailed twice on the Veendam. Admittedly, however, that was before her retrofit. The problems resulting from that, however, appear to be not for lack of maintenance but from poor design.

Why must you post factual things?! Very good point.

sppunk,

Would it be possible to be a bit more specific?

When was your cruise in the VEENDAM and what kind of problems did you experience?

Thanks,

Stephen

We will still continue to cruise and take our chances...just like we do everytime we drive the car, board an airplane, or cross the street.

One lady being interviewed this afternoon by CNN was asked with all the things that Carnival is doing with refunding the cruise, additional money, discounts on a future cruise - would she cruise again. She said she would continue to cruise, just not with Carnival.

Carnival has never been a line we've considered because it seems to be cheap, cheap, cheap. My son just got off a Carnival cruise last Sunday and said it is his last one. His complaints concern food (and food from the previous nights dinner being put in with the breakfast offerings the next morning), and the constant announcements from trying to sell things to the constant paging of passengers to report because they don't show they've boarded the ship in port. He said the ship was delayed several times because people weren't on board on time. The positive was the crew. He said they were very nice and worked like crazy.

sppunk,

Would it be possible to be a bit more specific?

When was your cruise in the VEENDAM and what kind of problems did you experience?

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen, we cruised in August 2012. I posted a detailed review you can find my searching my posts; I'm on my phone so it is difficult for me to link to it currently. We had a leak coming up from the floor they couldn't fix, our balcony glass had a massive crack that easily could be a hazard, the aforementioned net, and a/c didn't work in parts of the ship, especially on promenade deck.

I sailed Veendam in June of 2012. While I didn't have any issues, there were cabins on both sides of mine that had floods from toilets backing up. As we left the ship, there was a pipe overhead leaking water into a pail that had been put there to collect it.I was in a lanai cabin that cruise. The A/C was not working in some public areas, especially Caneletto, but in other public areas it was so cold I had to buy a sweat shirt from the gift shop. Not to mention the netting holding up the ceiling in the MDR. After the retreat, I think lots of things started going wrong for Veendam. There are many reviews attesting to plumbing and A/C issues. They get fixed cabin by cabin and just keep on happening around the ship. I think the Veendam's problems are really too massive to fix.

We will continue to cruise. But I do hope that this is yet another wake-up call to CCL about being penny wise and pound foolish.

My sense is that CCL and its subsidiaries have cut back on dry docks and maintenance to make up for Costa's shortfalls after the Concordia tragedy. It is time for them to re-evaluate that decision for their pax sakes.

Our next cruise is Alaska, where I am ever mindful of the original Prinsedam's fate. These are ships, not just floating hotels, and the ocean can be a wicked Mistress........

As the OP who posed this question..... I will happily keep on cruising - I am currently planning excursions for my September Alaska cruise, and have another Panama cruise next year. And I believe that this latest incident will (hopefully) lead to more vigilant maintenance on Carnival ships, which of course includes HAL. Something positives always comes out of a negative.

Very happy to see the Triumph passengers finally docked. Too bad there is so much sensationalism in the reporting, however, but of course it must have been an awful experience for everyone onboard.

Carnival launched a serious campaign in Australia last year to introduce Carnival Spirit. A few friends have cruised with them over this summer and have had nothing but good things to say about their trips. The poor souls on Triumph lucked out. I hope they are adequately compensated for their terrible experience. Just makes me that much happier that I stayed with HAL for my cruise in 2 weeks' time.

Carnival launched a serious campaign in Australia last year to introduce Carnival Spirit. A few friends have cruised with them over this summer and have had nothing but good things to say about their trips. The poor souls on Triumph lucked out. I hope they are adequately compensated for their terrible experience. Just makes me that much happier that I stayed with HAL for my cruise in 2 weeks' time.

Yes, I also am more confident in our choice to sail with HAL. We went on a transatlantic cruise last spring on the Eurodam. Our first time crossing. It was amazing and loved every minute of it. But as I asked below, what would happen if this should occur while in the middle of the ocean? If, GF, there would be a loss of complete power. I doubt that a tug boat could tow the ship half way across the Atlantic. Does anyone know? :eek:

Yes, I also am more confident in our choice to sail with HAL. We went on a transatlantic cruise last spring on the Eurodam. Our first time crossing. It was amazing and loved every minute of it. But as I asked below, what would happen if this should occur while in the middle of the ocean? If, GF, there would be a loss of complete power. I doubt that a tug boat could tow the ship half way across the Atlantic. Does anyone know? :eek:

There are several outboard motors stored below. Once the gas runs out they switch to the oars

The more you row the higher the OBC is and you get addition mariners credit

There are several outboard motors stored below. Once the gas runs out they switch to the oars

The more you row the higher the OBC is and you get addition mariners credit

LOL:D seriously, stop this Transatlantic talk:eek: I like to think that only certain ships do those - ones that they are secure in - in any case I plan on going on mine - don't send shivers down my timbers;)

I would definitely cruise again in spite of this situation with Triumph.But my question is what would happen if this occurred on a transatlantic cruise?

Exactly!!! Exacty why you would not find me on a trans-ocean cruise. This has been my concern well before the problems on the Splendor and the Triumph.

Archived