Is It Making You Think Twice About Cruising?

startwin

I think the odds of it happening are very small, but it makes me consider getting a balcony cabin. It would be a better place to hang out. After all the smoking last cruise, we decided not to get them in the future. But maybe we need to rethink.

I am not so sure that being close to land is all that ideal.

I can imagine sailing the inside passage in Alaska and losing all propulsion. Some of the areas are surprisngly narrow. It would not take much wind, tide and current to put a ship on the rocks, long before a tug could be dispatched and arrive to control the movement.

Why must you post factual things?! Very good point.

I can say after our Veendam experience I have zero doubts HAL skimps as much as possible on maintenance, and that is an unsettling thought.

I have four TA's under my belt. Two were smooth as glass, one was uneventful and on one we had a storm that the captain said to my father was the worst he had ever encountered. All the furniture was lashed together to keep it from flying around and there were ropes strung everywhere to hang onto. Being only 13 at the time I thought it was great fun.

It is pure luck of the draw.

I'll bet that crossing was on the Empress of Britain. It sounds exactly like our crossing on the Empress of France also in 1957. I was only 10 and was travelling with my mom and younger brother. The ship was nicknamed the "Drunken" empress because it rode like a cork. I remember all of the furniture chained to the deck and ropes all over the ship to hang on to. I was too young to be scared ... lol

So, I know someone can enlighten me. Would it not be possible to lower the lifeboats and tender the people to some other sort of ship, even a freighter or something? At least that way they could get to shore and off of what must seem like a hell-hole to most of them. Maybe it's just not stable enough to do even that, or surely they would have by now.

I'll bet that crossing was on the Empress of Britain. It sounds exactly like our crossing on the Empress of France also in 1957. I was only 10 and was travelling with my mom and younger brother. The ship was nicknamed the "Drunken" empress because it rode like a cork. I remember all of the furniture chained to the deck and ropes all over the ship to hang on to. I was too young to be scared ... lol

Actually it was our return in Dec 1958 on the Arcadia.

The Empress of Britain trip in Jan 1957 had its own excitement. We lost power in the Irish Sea and had to be towed into Liverpool. However it wasn't like the present situation as we only lost propulsion.

I have been to sea 35 or 36 times. This would not stop me from crusing. Now perhaps if I were to experience what those poor people are going through right now, then perhaps I might be talking out of the other side of my mouth.

I think the odds of it happening are very small, but it makes me consider getting a balcony cabin. It would be a better place to hang out. After all the smoking last cruise, we decided not to get them in the future. But maybe we need to rethink.

I agree about the balcony. It took me until a couple of years ago to justify getting a balcony since I generally travel alone by choice. I heard a report about someone talking about being an inside room and others having a balcony on that ship. To be honest I never gave it much thought before. It would be much easier to take then others areas of the ship.

Just wondering.... given all the dire reports from the Carnival ship this week, is it putting anyone off of cruising? I've heard people say no way would they ever cruise anyway, and the Carnival situation is a good reason. For myself, it won't stop me cruising, but it certainly does make you wonder if it could ever happen to you. And this is the second time in recent years with Carnival.

I'm kind of grounded so the question is academic for me. For those who might have cruised that haven't cruised it is a different story. I expect this sort of thing will happen until a ship goes DIW in a hurricane.

This is like the stop sign that doesn't get placed until a nasty accident occurs. For many it will be too late, but it all gets calculated into algorithms and formulae and profit and loss statements and there will be a question mark on ship safety until cruise lines are forced to take their trust more seriously. Lets hope they can be convinced to do this before a catastrophe. I have my doubts.

When I first read the report and also read that the Triumph had experienced propulsion issues in January, it reminded me of the Oosterdam and how they were having issues in 2012 and let it go for months until drydock in Australia. I know that it's way to premature to know whether there is a correlation, and we probably will never know the entire story.

But this incident won't keep me from cruising. Although it would be horrible to be in the conditions described, I think there's something to be said about there's been zero casualties and the one person who was experiencing medical issues was airlifted. I just hope Carnival gets its maintenance and disaster relief procedures in order between the Splendor/Concordia/Triumph catastrophes. I mean why didn't they send three tugboats out from the beginning???

That's a very valid point, especially after hearing some of the comments from passengers onboard the Carnival ship right now. I recall when the air conditioning was turned off while we were in Grand Turks last year, just for one day, the pax across the hallway in the inside cabins had a horrendous time as it took so long for it to cool down once the a/c came back on.

Unlike most of you on this forum, I only have three cruises under my belt. I have never been totally comfortable cruising. I always said I would never cruise a trans-ocean cruise and the Carnival incident is exactly why.

We don't have any other cruises planned, and this is making me think hard about whether or not we would do another one. I think the difference between my DH and me and those of you on the forum, is that we don't love cruising as much as the rest of you. If we loved it, I imagine we would not think of giving it up. We don't stop driving because so many people are killed in car accidents, we don't stop flying because planes crash, I am just not sure what our final decision will be, but I surely am not eager to plan another cruise right now. I always wanted to bring my grandchildren to AK and maybe I will decide to try another cruise there. It will just take time to come around to wanting to cruise again after this incident. I do say:"never say never."

If we cruised again we would likely only choose port intensive cruises that do not go far out in the open ocean and we will seriously start thinking about a balcony. We have never wanted to pay the money for one, but after this incident, it just might make me feel a bit more comfortable.

Maybe posters will stop criticizing those who want to bring bottled water on the ship. I brought water on the ship, so we could be prepared in case the ship had an emergency. I had no qualms drinking the ship's water, but I liked the comfort of having some of my own bottled in case of a problem. I also kept a stash of high protein snack bars, just in case.

This experience is a great reminder why we need to pack extra medications, whenever and wherever we travel.

I keep praying no one gets seriously ill from this experience on the Carnival. This has to be a horrible, horrible experience. Can you imagine having small children or elderly parents with you? I hope everyone arrives in Mobile in good health and has a quick and safe journey home to their comfort zone.

Just wondering.... given all the dire reports from the Carnival ship this week, is it putting anyone off of cruising? I've heard people say no way would they ever cruise anyway, and the Carnival situation is a good reason. For myself, it won't stop me cruising, but it certainly does make you wonder if it could ever happen to you. And this is the second time in recent years with Carnival.

No -- we will continue to cruise as long as we are able to -- health wise.

Have been on several HAL ships when fire broke out -- that didn't make us re-think our cruise vacation choices.

I was listening to CNN last night ...they were interviewing a mother who's twelve year old daughter is on the ship (sailing with her father).She last spoke with her child on Monday ...her daughter was very upset and crying and said "Mommy please come and get me ,I don't want to be here any more ,it is so hot." How hard would that be to hear....I have visions of me swimming from Canada to get to my child.:D

It sure gives one pause for thought and the realization it could happen to any cruiseline, anywhere. My once in a life time corner aft suite holds even greater appeal now....I would be staying in my cabin and sleeping on a lounge chair.:) Nah ..I would probably go find people with children and invite them to stay. "Hey honey, we have company ":)

Nope. Not going to dissuade me from cruising. I was talking to my sister about this last night and I mentioned that I'd posted on the "Fire" thread that if this is the worst thing that ever happens to the people on that ship, they were darned lucky and she said "Yeah, it wouldn't even make my top 3." Just for context, so I don't get that "if the shoe were on the other foot you'd think differently", my sister (and my father and 2 other sisters and all of their families) lived in New Orleans during Katrina -- they had no electricity for weeks and had to stand in line for hours EVERY day to get MREs and water. Meanwhile, my sister's husband was dying of cancer -- so no, it WOULDN'T make her top 3. It might make MY top 5.

You can't live your life as if the worst is always going to happen or you will be surviving, not living.

The latest Carnival tragedy will not stop us from cruising, I will need to add a few things to my packing list and be prepared for any issues but we will still go. We have only been 3 cruises, May will be our 4th, the first year we went 2008 no problems. 2010 the first Carnival fire on the Splendor I added flashlights to my packing list, 2011 the Concordia we established an escape plan in case of any problems. First sign of trouble we were heading to our cabin to grab passports and cash that were in a water proof pouch. I understand going on vacation you don't want to think anything bad will happen but life does happen and things can go wrong.

My normal packing list includes liquid soap, air fresheners, and bottle water. This latest incident I will bring a box of plastic kitchen size bags and surgical masks just in case.

The horror stories of people going to the bathroom in the hallway boggles my mind just because you under a major stressful event you shouldn't be leaving your senses. The fighting over food is understandable to a point you are in survival mode.

There are always three sides to a story in this case the passengers perspective, Carnival's perspective, and the truth. Only those passengers and Carnival employees will know the real truth and weather they can accurately tell the world. Yes it must be horrible and I wouldn't want my child on that ship but I can only think that the people talking to the news right now are looking for a bigger pay off from Carnival.

When it happened to the last Carnival ship (Splendor) and the Costa ship in Italy (Concordia) it made me not want to cruise for awhile. But somehow, with time I got over it. It is the same thing as when the movie Jaws came out years ago......everybody was afraid to go in the water for awhile. Or when 911 happened, everybody became nervous about flying. I guess the only alternative is to lock yourself up at home and refuse to leave the house in order to keep yourself in a perceived "safe zone". I don't think any one of us wants to do that. Nothing in this life is completely safe, you can get run over by a garbage truck going out to get the paper in the morning! I must admit, the only time I got a little nervous on a ship was on the Zaandam in Glacier Bay when the ship's power went off for about 30 minutes....believe me, being stranded in Glacier Bay with no power was not an appetizing thought (cold visions of the Titanic!). Thank God it came back on and no harm done. Let's hope we hear of no more of these type of incidents! I feel very sorry for the folks on the Triumph, it must have been an ordeal..........

Good luck to all on their future cruises, we hope for smooth sailing all the way!:)

The latest Carnival tragedy will not stop us from cruising, I will need to add a few things to my packing list and be prepared for any issues but we will still go. We have only been 3 cruises, May will be our 4th, the first year we went 2008 no problems. 2010 the first Carnival fire on the Splendor I added flashlights to my packing list, 2011 the Concordia we established an escape plan in case of any problems. First sign of trouble we were heading to our cabin to grab passports and cash that were in a water proof pouch. I understand going on vacation you don't want to think anything bad will happen but life does happen and things can go wrong.

My normal packing list includes liquid soap, air fresheners, and bottle water. This latest incident I will bring a box of plastic kitchen size bags and surgical masks just in case.

The horror stories of people going to the bathroom in the hallway boggles my mind just because you under a major stressful event you shouldn't be leaving your senses. The fighting over food is understandable to a point you are in survival mode.

There are always three sides to a story in this case the passengers perspective, Carnival's perspective, and the truth. Only those passengers and Carnival employees will know the real truth and weather they can accurately tell the world. Yes it must be horrible and I wouldn't want my child on that ship but I can only think that the people talking to the news right now are looking for a bigger pay off from Carnival.

I picked up a bag of battery powered tea lights at Christmas time and think they would be a good thing to take along in addition to a good flashlight. They would light the cabin dimly for hours and save the flashlight batteries.

I have an iPhone 4 and have downloaded a very impressive flashlight app. This would make a great reserve flashlight.

A box of ziplock bags, crackers and peanut butter and we're good to go. 😃

Maybe posters will stop criticizing those who want to bring bottled water on the ship. I brought water on the ship, so we could be prepared in case the ship had an emergency. I had no qualms drinking the ship's water, but I liked the comfort of having some of my own bottled in case of a problem. I also kept a stash of high protein snack bars, just in case.

Do posters criticize those that bring water on? I can't say that I've ever seen that on this board. They may say the tap water is good but I don't think anyone gets nasty.

It made me wonder...for about five seconds. It won't make me stop cruising any more than a plane crash will make me stop flying.

I know it's not endemic of Carnival, but when I caught the tail end of a news broadcast on first hearing of it, my first thought was, "is it a Carnival ship?"

It won't even affect my choice of lines. I wouldn't be caught dead on Carnival to begin with!

Too bad you feel that way about Carnival .they do have great ships,great staff,good food and good entertainment .if you have been onone and did not like fine but to say you would not go without ever having been ...i say ...too bad ..you are missing something .....

Do not cut your nose to spite your face ....I like carnival .......and Princess NCLetc etc etc

I do hope this last incident will be a " wake up " call about ship maintenance.

I am not a huge fan of flying. But I must that the airline industry has been the undisputed leader in the area of safety and equipment maintenance. The safety checklists they do have even been adopted by hospitals .

Every time there is a crash or incident , there is an exhaustive investigation into how and why in order to prevent it in the future.

Since ships are registered outside the US to countries whose safety standards are not as stringent , I wonder about what goes on...

I will not stop cruising , but I do hope this is a wakeup call.

I won't give up cruising, but it does make my decision to never sail aboard a Carnival ship the right decision for me.:D

Archived