If we get separated...

smalltownmomwa

We will be cruising with our kids aged 9 & 7. While I anticipate knowing where they are at all times, I've been wondering what a good "what if" policy would be.

Stay put and we will find you

Go back to the room

Go to the kids club

I would instruct them to ask for help from staff in the last 2 if they can't find their way. I am thinking of getting them lanyards for their key, so going back to the room makes the most sense to me.

What have any of you done?

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

"Stay put and we will find you" has its drawbacks on board. After all, the chances are it's not them that's lost - they know where they are. It's you that doesn't know where they are. You might finish up with the children freezing on deck for an hour or so while you look for them.

Hopefully at that age they can find their way to reception, at least. And if not, they can always ask - the chances of them finding a random stranger who is able and willing to take them back to his cabin is miniscule. And if they're instructed to ask only couples, the chance is nil. So the child/children ask a nice looking couple to point them towards reception, and reception will broadcast an announcement for you.

On shore, I dare say "stay put and we will find you" is the only practical option.

I doubt your child is going to get "lost". I've been cruising with my son for years. From the time he was 6 years old- he knew his way around the ship. The fact is- they know where the cabin is. It isn't rocket science.

You need to impress upon them what deck you are on and what your cabin number is. Quiz them on this. Quiz them every day when you step out of the cabin. Let them find their way back to the cabin with you until you are comfortable knowing they know their way. Kids are better at locating places than adults.

We have cruised now over 20 times together (he is 12) and the only time I "lost" him- he wasn't lost. He knew where he was- I didn't. That's why I don't like giving them the ability to sign in and out of the youth program. It creates problems trying to locate the child. So don't give them this privilege.

At my kids age (and the ages of the OP's), I guess I was thinking more along the lines of the ways I expect we could get separated - with elevators and in the short distances I allow them some freedom (to go get an ice cream, etc.). It's easier for me to find them if they're not on the move. Once they're older, finding the cabin is a good idea. I have a hard time finding Reception myself on some ships :).

Best,

Mia

We are traveling with our 9yo girls this wkd and ,while the cabin could be an option, because we have a balcony I am hesitant to encourage that option. We will probably ask them to go to the kids club or the reception/customer service desk who can then page us.

At 7 and 9, my kids would not have the freedom to "roam"....They would either be in the kid's club, where I would pick them up and drop them off, or with me or hubby. Now, older kids, I would tell where I was to be found, and that the cabin was our "default" location!

Always the cabin for us. On our last cruise, we "lost" our 7 year old ds more times than I can count (he's a wandered), and we always met him back in the cabin. When we gave older kids the ability to sign-out, they had to go to the cabin first, and wrote a note telling us where they were.

Thanks for all the replies. I don't anticipate getting separated, but good to know both the "stay put" and "go to room" work. Our kids will not be allowed to sign themselves out of kids club, so would mainly be if we are walking somewhere already and get separated.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk 2

Archived