International drivers license required for Canadians in florida

mcgratru

Any fellow Canadian cruisers have trouble with new Florida rule about requiring international driver's license?

I can drive in Ireland, Germany and Italy and the other 49 states without one but now need one for Florida?

From Their Site:

Statement from DHSMV on International Driving Permits

"During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013.

It has come to the Department’s attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them. Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit."

http://www.flhsmv.gov/

From Their Site:

Statement from DHSMV on International Driving Permits

"During the 2012 legislative session, the Florida Legislature amended section 322.04, Florida Statutes, to require visitors from outside the United States to have an International Driving Permit in order to drive lawfully in Florida. This change took effect Jan. 1, 2013.

It has come to the Department’s attention that this requirement may violate the Geneva Convention on Road Traffic (1949), an international treaty to which the United States is a signatory. Treaties to which the United States is a party preempt state laws in conflict with them. Therefore, the Florida Highway Patrol will defer enforcement of violations of the amended statutory section until a final determination of the alignment of the amendment with the treaty can be made. Non-resident visitors to Florida who wish to drive while here will be required to have in their immediate possession a valid driver license issued in his or her name from another state or territory of the U.S. or from their country of residence. However, the FHP will not take enforcement action based solely on the lack of an International Driving Permit."

http://www.flhsmv.gov/

I will print this and carry it with me in my rental car.... Thanks!

However, I did read in the Florida boards that someone had called their car rental company and was told that they need the permit to rent the car. Something to do with the law and insurance - no matter who was overlooking it for now.

I would suggest you call your car rental company for their policy. You don't want a surprise when you get to Florida.

The problem is that if you are in an accident your insurance company might not to cover you because you were not "legal" in that state. As much as I hate it and think it is nonsense we will be getting ours before May.

ridiculous(not you the florida legislature). an international drivers license for Canadians is just plain stupid. International drivers licenses are issued by a non governmental entity. all it does is provide a translation of what is on your license for the local pd and the Canadians are in English and French. No insurance carrier is going to void insurance because of this. doesn't florida have anything better to...I would say something else but I haven't had a point in 2 years

ridiculous(not you the florida legislature). an international drivers license for Canadians is just plain stupid. International drivers licenses are issued by a non governmental entity. all it does is provide a translation of what is on your license for the local pd and the Canadians are in English and French. No insurance carrier is going to void insurance because of this. doesn't florida have anything better to...I would say something else but I haven't had a point in 2 years

Insurance companies make it their business to deny claims all the time. This is from the Toronto Star:

“We continue to have concerns about insurance coverage issue in Florida, because for the time being the law states that without an international driver’s permit that you do not have a valid driver’s licence. We’ve heard conflicting signals from the industry on whether they’d honour policies or not,” said CAA spokesperson Ian Jack.

This is the whole article http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/14/floridas_international_drivers_licence_rule_leaves_canadians_fuming.html

Also, from the same article:

The Florida Highway Patrol is not enforcing the law and says you’re fine with your valid Canadian licence. The CAA is working to find out whether the same applies to local police forces. If not, it’s possible you could be arrested for driving without a valid licence.

Hopefully they will work it out sooner rather than later but it might not be until July 1st. I read this date somewhere today but can't remember which paper The Star or The National Post

This law would make sense if Canadians drove on the left side of the road, stooped on green and go on red, and allowed their drivers to go 200mph on their highways.

But Canadian driving rules and signs are basically same as in the USA so this is probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of.

My guess is that this was a chance for Florida to raise alot of money through fining innocent people.

Shame on any law enforcement officer that charges any driver with this unethical law.

I saw this on the news today. The Florida State Police don't like this law and aren't enforcing it. However; the CAA still recommends you get the international drivers license. Here is a link to the CAA press release from earlier today

http://www.caa.ca/travel-documents/idp/

we are getting ot here but its the CAA that issues and gets paid for the international DL and they also do the pictures for that and charge too!

http://www.caasco.com/Travel/Travel-Information/International-Drivers-Permit.aspx

and remember at least in the`usa part of AAA is for profit I believe

I don't actually cruise Carnival, but obviously the Triumph thing has me stopping by to follow up on my curiosity and best wishes for the passengers and crew.

Anyways, to this, what a joke!!! I appreciate that it is now open that it will not be enforced, having legislation like this stay in the books can only lead to issues in the future. Many US states, including Florida, have very strict provisions for foreigners that receive traffic violation offences that often includes a requirement to pay immediately. This adds another ridiculous potential difficulty, particularly for a person who wants to plead "innocent" to a ticket. It should be struck as soon as the state's legislative process allows.

I actually called my girlfriend (I'm Canadian) immediately and suggested we immediately change our next cruise plans which included a Florida departure. Sure it would have been like forty dollars all said and done but there is no need to give benefit to Florida when they're being unreasonable. And Baltimore offered a great embarkation experience :D

Will be watching to see if this is enforced at all to determine whether I am willing to travel there. What a damaging story for the state.

From what I heard tonight (in Canada), many tourism organizations are trying to get Florida to repeal this section of the Highway Act. It probably will be cancelled. I don't think States can unilaterally ask drivers to carry this document. The USA signed the Geneva Convention, not Florida.

I think they will repeal this but according to what I have heard their legislation does not sit again until March and it might take a few months to repeal so if you are traveling Florida better safe than sorry.

We have three drivers in my family but will likely just chose one of use to drive in Florida so will only get one. $25 plus the passport picture $10 at Wal-Mart.

This won't stop me from travelling to Florida, it is our "happy place" DH loves cruising I am a WDW Geek.

From what I heard tonight (in Canada), many tourism organizations are trying to get Florida to repeal this section of the Highway Act. It probably will be cancelled. I don't think States can unilaterally ask drivers to carry this document. The USA signed the Geneva Convention, not Florida.

Watch out. KGB may stop you in Ft Myers and tell you "your papers are not in order"

It seems as though everyone is getting their underwear twisted over nothing. I didn't really like paying ridiculously high taxes on a burger in PEI but I did pay them. Stay home until it's resolved.

Oh SNARKY!!!

I am a U.S. citizen, but spend my winter's in FL. I have many friends from Canada, who also winter here. They are very decent, friendly people, and I like to see them coming back to FL. They have every right to be concerned, or upset, over this unbelievably "dumb" new law.

That was me! I called a few places, including where we are already booked, and they said that since it is the law (whether or not the police intend to enforce it at this time), if I was in an accident, their insurance as well as my own insurance may not cover the accident since I would be driving illegally. Half refused to rent to us without the new ID, the other said it was at our own risk. Having studied business law as part of my undergrad, I know too well that insurances companies will take any reason to deny coverage. :(

It's a bit of a hassle for us to get it, since we leave in four business days, and we are not near a CAA. It's also an additional cost, for us, of 40 dollars each for three people (25 dollar fee, plus passport photo fee, plus tax).

We were only renting for two days pre and post cruise, so our costs have gone up a lot. The alternative, getting taxis and shuttles, will also put us over the top.

For what it's worth, my driver's license is an enhanced driver's license, is in English, I'm insured for myself and business insurance with a clear driving record... and we drive on the same side of the road. :confused:

This is literally a piece of paper that says I have a driver's license that I have to pay more money for. There is no additional testing or anything. It's just translating my english to english.

However, I did read in the Florida boards that someone had called their car rental company and was told that they need the permit to rent the car. Something to do with the law and insurance - no matter who was overlooking it for now.

I would suggest you call your car rental company for their policy. You don't want a surprise when you get to Florida.

That was me! I called a few places, including where we are already booked, and they said that since it is the law (whether or not the police intend to enforce it at this time), if I was in an accident, their insurance as well as my own insurance may not cover the accident since I would be driving illegally. Half refused to rent to us without the new ID, the other said it was at our own risk. Having studied business law as part of my undergrad, I know too well that insurances companies will take any reason to deny coverage. :(

It's a bit of a hassle for us to get it, since we leave in four business days, and we are not near a CAA. It's also an additional cost, for us, of 40 dollars each for three people (25 dollar fee, plus passport photo fee, plus tax).

We were only renting for two days pre and post cruise, so our costs have gone up a lot. The alternative, getting taxis and shuttles, will also put us over the top.

For what it's worth, my driver's license is an enhanced driver's license, is in English, I'm insured for myself and business insurance with a clear driving record... and we drive on the same side of the road. :confused:

This is literally a piece of paper that says I have a driver's license that I have to pay more money for. There is no additional testing or anything. It's just translating my english to english.

The law has been iced. Read it on CBC. Canadian licence is legal.

It hasn't. If you read the story, it says (as did I) that some police agencies (Highway Patrol) are choosing not to enforce it, and specifically that "Budget Rent A Car said its official stance on the matter was that all Canadians will be expected to present an IDP along with their official driver's licence and credit card upon renting a vehicle."

If anything, this is causing more confusion because people think they will be able to drive now. The law is still in effect, according to that article.

The law has been iced. Read it on CBC. Canadian licence is legal.

we are sailing March 10, 2013 and I just heard of this.. what got me is why only our CAA is doing the procedure of International Licences.. $25 plus 14$ for photo's.. after watching the CTV news tonight there was a answer for this question.. I do not need the licence right now for my rental car for March.. I will take a copy and carry the statement that 2GAcruisers gave us from a Florida Website..

Archived