DisneyWorld to Tampa Port

NJLVW

Has anyone gone from Disneyworld to the port in Tampa? Looking for the best way to get there. We have time to look into this so I thought I would ask here. I would prefer to find a shuttle service or bus transportation. If anyone could recommend or a rental car but when I do a mock booking it seems to be very expensive to rent a car for 1 day to drive from Disney to Tampa. Anyway, we would like to go to Disney for a few days before the cruise so I hope someone has done this and can give me some good advise. Thank you in advance.

Norma

Rental car is your best option; there are rental car locations scattered around WDW - the convenience may be worth paying extra instead of going outside or all the way back to MCO.

You might look at renting the car at MCO for your stay in WDW -- sometimes a 2-3 day rental is not much more than a one-day rental.

There is a Hertz located within walking distance of the Tampa port if you don't want to mess with a shuttle or taxi from TPA. Good luck! :)

Rental car is your best option; there are rental car locations scattered around WDW - the convenience may be worth paying extra instead of going outside or all the way back to MCO.

You might look at renting the car at MCO for your stay in WDW -- sometimes a 2-3 day rental is not much more than a one-day rental.

There is a Hertz located within walking distance of the Tampa port if you don't want to mess with a shuttle or taxi from TPA. Good luck! :)

Thank you.. We have the Magical Express to get to Disney. Didn't really want to have a car for the days we are there. Although it may be my best option...So glad I have a little time to plan. I guess I was hoping that there was a shuttle service to do the driving to get us to the port. Sometimes the best made plans don't always work. Other alternative is just going to Tampa. Again, thank you. I appreciate all the responses.

Norma

You can look at this option, but for the typical family of 4 my guess is that a rental car will work out cheaper and easier.

http://www.floridabustickets.net/?gclid=CJG49KXmu7UCFY07OgodVAIALQ

Good luck! :)

That actually would have worked. There are only the 2 of us. Just 2 BIG kids... On the site it says it has discontinued the Orlando -Tampa route. Oh well. I guess I am back to the drawing board...

The Dolphin Resort on Disney property has a National/Alamo car rental on site. They will deliver the car right to your hotel. Sometimes convenience will outweigh a few $. You can then return the car to Tampa Airport. I believe that National & Alomo have a courtesy shuttle to and from the port but you may want to call.

Here is the link for the Dolphin car rental info http://www.swandolphin.com/aboutus/transportation.html

.... and here is the link for the direct ph#'s to the Tampa airport car rentals to see if they still offer the courtesy shuttle. http://www.tampaairport.com/ground_transportation/rental_car_services.asp

If not, check around the Lake Buena Vista hotels, which are right off Disney property, for car hotel car rental locations. You can then find which one will give you the best rate OR offer the courtesy shuttle (which is a nice savings over a taxi)

Just a note, if you can find a good deal with Hertz, there is a drop off at the Tampa Marriott Waterside, which is just 2 blocks from the port in Tampa.

Good luck

:)

Good luck and have a great cruse.

Here are a few shuttle services that can give you info from WDW to

port of Tampa.

Blue One -- http://www.blueonetransportation.com/

Ambiance Shuttle - http://www.ambiancetransportation.com/orlando-to-port-of-tampa.html

Interplex - http://www.interplex.net/

Not sure if Mears goes from WDW to the port of Tampa, but it's worth checking. http://www.mearstransportation.calls.net/

This may be a helpful link as well.- http://www.ehow.com/how_7202767_travel-walt-disney-world-tampa.html

***** I would just take some time and price out all of your options ***

Good luck to you.

Thank you so much. I will start calling to see what I can do this far in advance. I knew I could rent a car. We have used National at the Dolphin in the past. Just wasn't sure where to bring it back to near the port of Tampa. I really just want someone to pick us up and drop us off so I don't have to worry about any of it. Usually we go ahead 1 day and stay close to the port. So this is different for us. Again, to you both thank you.

Norma

Thank you so much. I will start calling to see what I can do this far in advance. I knew I could rent a car. We have used National at the Dolphin in the past. Just wasn't sure where to bring it back to near the port of Tampa. I really just want someone to pick us up and drop us off so I don't have to worry about any of it. Usually we go ahead 1 day and stay close to the port. So this is different for us. Again, to you both thank you.

Norma

If you end up renting a car, try for Hertz as it will get you within 2 blocks of the port for your drop-off near the port of Tampa. I have read here in CC that Hertz will sometimes take you to the port. If not it is 2 long city blocks or a quick and inexpensive taxi ride.

It looks like The Marriott Courtyard Disney Lake Buena Vista will be your very closest Hertz. It looks like they have hotel pick-up service too; very convenient. https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/index.jsp?targetPage=locationDetailsView.jsp&eoag=ORLS11&locType=pUp

Wishing you good luck with your search.

Edited by Hoosiercouple

We went from Orlando to Tampa with Hertz rental, my husband dropped me and the luggage at the port, looped back to the Marriott hotel to return car and then walked back. He was gone about 25 minutes total. It was very easy. Total price with Costco rate was less than $70 for the 2 of us for a small car.

There is also an Alamo location in the Westin Hotel about a mile from the pier. If you drop the car there they will shuttle you to the pier. We picked up there after a cruise and it was very easy and convenient.

We went from Orlando to Tampa with Hertz rental, my husband dropped me and the luggage at the port, looped back to the Marriott hotel to return car and then walked back. He was gone about 25 minutes total. It was very easy. Total price with Costco rate was less than $70 for the 2 of us for a small car.

There is also an Alamo location in the Westin Hotel about a mile from the pier. If you drop the car there they will shuttle you to the pier. We picked up there after a cruise and it was very easy and convenient.

Thank you I will try to contact them this week.

I did a google search and started contacting shuttle services. I also remembered Michael from VIP limo. I had hired him last year from Orlando airport to port canaveral. So, I called him to see if his company could accommodate me. He actually doesn't normally do the run but would help me out if I need him to. What a great service he has...Anyway, at least I have time. I do appreciate all the help from everyone here. I am going to contact Hertz seems to be the most convenient and see what they say. I am not a Cosco member but I am BJ's, AAA & AARP. Hope one of those services will help with a discount. :eek:

I will keep you all informed with what I find out in case anyone else has the same question..

Norma

I did a google search and started contacting shuttle services. I also remembered Michael from VIP limo. I had hired him last year from Orlando airport to port canaveral. So, I called him to see if his company could accommodate me. He actually doesn't normally do the run but would help me out if I need him to. What a great service he has...Anyway, at least I have time. I do appreciate all the help from everyone here. I am going to contact Hertz seems to be the most convenient and see what they say. I am not a Cosco member but I am BJ's, AAA & AARP. Hope one of those services will help with a discount. :eek:

I will keep you all informed with what I find out in case anyone else has the same question..

Norma

Good luck Norma. We're pulling for you to get a great deal.

BTW. I got a great AARP discount on my last car rental.

Cari

Norma

AARP rate is usually pretty good too. Good luck!

Just an update with my findings. Seems to be too early to get low prices for a rental car. I will try in a few months. I will say I heard back from Michael..VIP Limo and he said that he would make the arrangements for us. This makes me real happy. I can have someone pick us up and drop us off. This may be worth it for me coz it becomes real convenient. I wouldn't have to worry about renting a car and dropping it off. I am all about convenience.

Thank you to all for the good advice. It is really appreciated.

Norma

• 4 months later...
Just an update with my findings. Seems to be too early to get low prices for a rental car. I will try in a few months. I will say I heard back from Michael..VIP Limo and he said that he would make the arrangements for us. This makes me real happy. I can have someone pick us up and drop us off. This may be worth it for me coz it becomes real convenient. I wouldn't have to worry about renting a car and dropping it off. I am all about convenience.

Thank you to all for the good advice. It is really appreciated.

Norma

Norma,

Can I ask how much VIP is charging for the Orlando to Tampa run? We have also used them in the past for PC & they were great. We are doing a land vacation in Orlando this year & it is considerably less to fly into Tampa than MCO, but we don't need a car the whole time.

Thanks,

Virginia

Last year we rented an SUV from Dollar at the Orlando Airport and with 1 way rental fee was $68 (caught a sale $35.99 per day plus $32 tax stuff) plus $20 to top off the tank for the five of us. Can't beat the price for a big family. It's even a good deal and convenient for just two people. They have free shuttle to the cruise port. Did the same thing for the return trip. It was so very quick and painless especially if you sign up for that free Dollar express loyalty program. You can walk right to the checkout booth with no lines and your car is sitting right there to jump in and go. Longest wait was about 10 minutes to load the shuttle, and they had 3 shuttles waiting at the cruise terminal for the return trip that were constantly running. And I believe all the rental companies do it. We're doing it next week in Port Canaveral (no 1 way fees) and again in November for Tampa. The bad thing is, no chauffeur...you gotta drive it yourself. :)

Norma,

Can I ask how much VIP is charging for the Orlando to Tampa run? We have also used them in the past for PC & they were great. We are doing a land vacation in Orlando this year & it is considerably less to fly into Tampa than MCO, but we don't need a car the whole time.

Thanks,

Virginia

Once I have confirmation I could let you know. He offers van or limo so I would think it will differ based on what is chosen. Although if you called Michael I am sure he could give you a quote for the service. We will be in Orlando going to Tampa. Not sure if this will make a difference. It is not his usual run so I feel like he is going above & beyond for us. Not sure if he has to start in Orlando or not. I know when we go out of Miami we always fly into FLL. SAS has to have a starting point in FLL to Miami. You can't hire from a Miami hotel to FLL only from the port and I think only if you started in FLL. Not sure if all companies have to follow the same rule.

Norma

Keep us posted as we're in the planning stages as well. We'll most likely just rent a car but renting one way is more than just keeping the car while were cruising. We're flying into Orlando 2 days prior and staying 3 days post cruise near Tampa.

Norma, your Meet and Greet party is my B-Day. Might check out that cruise as well. Who says I can't buy me a cruise for my B-Day right?:p

Love to cruise.

Mary

I am faced with the same issues here too. Just found out RCL does not do transfers to tampa like they do to port canaveral and already booked air into Orlando to do disney first. Please keep us in the loop and I will do the same if I find anything. Mine will be round trip Orlando Tampa

I booked 2 one ways using Costco discount car rental for about 50 each way. That is much cheaper than rcl transfers we did for port Canaveral

I thought of renting a car but decided against it. We just want to be picked up and dropped off. No worries. No hassle about dropping off the car and waiting on a shuttle. I just want someone to come pick us up early at the hotel and bring me directly to the port of Tampa. Although a big part of that was when I was looking into renting a car it was quite expensive to pick up in Orland and drop off in Tampa. So for me it seems to make more sense to let someone else do the driving. We are flying into Orlando but I have booked flights home from Tampa. Still plenty of time. Will let everyone know how I make out. I can say with confidence having used VIP limo in the past I am sure it will all work out fine. :)

• 1 month later...
I thought of renting a car but decided against it. We just want to be picked up and dropped off. No worries. No hassle about dropping off the car and waiting on a shuttle. I just want someone to come pick us up early at the hotel and bring me directly to the port of Tampa. Although a big part of that was when I was looking into renting a car it was quite expensive to pick up in Orland and drop off in Tampa. So for me it seems to make more sense to let someone else do the driving. We are flying into Orlando but I have booked flights home from Tampa. Still plenty of time. Will let everyone know how I make out. I can say with confidence having used VIP limo in the past I am sure it will all work out fine. :)

You are in good hands. The whole team at Executive vip limo are the best.

You are in good hands. The whole team at Executive vip limo are the best.

I will agree with you on this. I have used them in the past. When I spoke with them about this transportation I know they are making an exception as this is not their normal route. I am very greatful. I have confirmed everything so now I am just waiting for my turn to cruise. The last time we used them they even offered to stop for us at different stores. They are great and very trustworthy.

Amtrak has bus service from Orlando into the Tampa Amtrak station - They do not have direct train service into Tampa - only into Orlando. I am taking the train down to Tampa in December and this will be my second time doing it. Its easy and cheap. Hopes this helps!