NCL's iConcierge App

SeanJC

Yeah...not so much. The buffet is right there near the pool so you can get brats, burgers, wings, or sandwiches instead. For pizza delivery, we had a pizza delivered to our stateroom in under 20 minutes and it was hot and tasty.

When you get on board, you launch the app. The app will prompt you for your stateroom number, and last name, once you do that, your account is charged the $7.95 and the app is good to go. Voice and text work great.

You make it sound like the activation and fee would be mandatory which is not true. The charge is only needed for activating the VoIP/text functionality, not for using most of the other functionalities in the app (that also requires the identification info in order to show onboard account, make reservations, etc).

Edited by Demonyte

How and when exactly do you pay the $7.95 fee?

I plan on using the app for voice and text while onboard and thought it was all completely free :confused:

If you plan on using VOIP and Text features, you'll be charged $7.95 when you register the app.

You make it sound like the activation and fee would be mandatory which is not true. The charge is only needed for activating the VoIP/text functionality, not for using most of the other functionalities in the app (that also requires the identification info in order to show onboard account, make reservations, etc).

Technically, that's true. But to me the app is pretty worthless without the VOIP and text.

Technically, that's true. But to me the app is pretty worthless without the VOIP and text.

We used the app on Epic and frankly the other functions are much more worth more to me - the reliabilty of the functions that had the fee were flimsy at best.

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to make sure I am clear on the costs - if we want to be able to text / call between devices then EACH device has to be registered and pay the $7.95 fee? So when we sail Breakaway in August in a party of seven people if everyone wanted to be in touch we would be investing $7.95 x 7 = $55.65 for the week. Is this correct?

If so, I think we'll choose just a few folks to take point and use the buddy system :p

I am just of the Epic. Let me say that the pay feature, texting and phone calls, suck. We hardly could get texts and calls through. Once in the cabin, forget using it. I even asked for a refund and was told they knew nothing about the app and that I could put it on a comment card.

Now the good, the free features worked well. They were really nice to pull up all the informations as needed. Yes, you can book entertainment on the app. Dinner, I could not book on the app.

Yeah - it was like that the first 2 times for us too. One the Epic it was free as they were just rolling it out. Horrible. 2nd time we paid - got my money back because it was just as horrible. We won't be trying it for a 3rd time!

I am just of the Epic. Let me say that the pay feature, texting and phone calls, suck. We hardly could get texts and calls through. Once in the cabin, forget using it. I even asked for a refund and was told they knew nothing about the app and that I could put it on a comment card.

Now the good, the free features worked well. They were really nice to pull up all the informations as needed. Yes, you can book entertainment on the app. Dinner, I could not book on the app.

Why would you need the app in your stateroom? You had a phone in there didn't you?

Just want to make sure I am clear on the costs - if we want to be able to text / call between devices then EACH device has to be registered and pay the $7.95 fee? So when we sail Breakaway in August in a party of seven people if everyone wanted to be in touch we would be investing $7.95 x 7 = $55.65 for the week. Is this correct?

If so, I think we'll choose just a few folks to take point and use the buddy system :p

Your math is correct.

Why would you need the app in your stateroom? You had a phone in there didn't you?

Maybe because others do not know where you are so they don't know to call directly to the cabin phone and don't know that you are not able to receive the texts they send. The app (and the iConcierge WiFi network) should work anywhere, that is the whole point of it.

Edited by Demonyte

• 2 weeks later...

When I was on the Epic last April the fee was 7.95 for the week. I don't think that's changed. We ended up getting a refund because the text feature didn't work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our nephew only used the iOS version of the App on his iPhone 5S and I used the Android version on my Nexus 5 and both worked flawlessly for all the FREE features - we did not use the SMS or (ship only) voice calling functionality. There's been one to two version update to the App since we returned from our cruise last month, which should be much improved vs. older released a year ago as rolled out initially.

Ship's WiFi networks, powered by Cisco hardware, had very solid signals and good technical spec's and excellent coverage in all the public venue indoors and on the Waterfront, up on Deck 16 and 17 and even inside the Main Theater & Manhattan Room.

To give it a try, download it prior to sailing from home/mobile network with a fast/good connection, install it and once onboard, launch & activate it, free to use & connect to the ship's intranet - you only need to pay for its optional feature once for the sailing. It's a win-win situation & you can always uninstall it afterward.

We tries to use iConcierge last week on the Epic and found it very frustrating. Even when my iPhone had a good connection to the ship's wifi network the app would frequently be unable to access even the free services. I would typically have to turn off wifi and then reenable it to get the app to sign in. Others experienced it, too.

We also tried to use the messaging feature to keep in touch with others in our roll call, but the app doesn't notify you of a new message, so you have to look constantly, and, whenever the phone goes to sleep the app disconnects from the network, so you won't receive messages during that time. The guest services staff are aware of the problems and they are supposed to be fixed in an update that is planned for about three weeks.

But, we still had a great cruise :D

• 3 months later...

Our group of 21 people rode the Epic July 13 through 20 in the Mediterranean. At least half of of bought this useless app and I don't think any of us used it. I tried to get my moola back on the last day and they blinked at me and scratched their heads as if... Please take a seat. We will look into this... What do you mean, not working? blah blah blah. My opinion, there should be a class action suit for selling an icon with nothing to back it up. My advice: take post-it notes for the cabin door, and a dry erase marker. I left notes with the marker written directly on the cabin door and they all came off completely when it was time.

The bigger question: NCL already had their hand in my pants for loads of up-charges and shore excursions and such, so why do they need to sell me vapor for $8 and then get silly when I ask for a refund on service that wasn't delivered?

• 7 months later...

Sorry so long to reply. I am headed out on the epic again and was checking to see if there where updates to this working better.

Yes there is a phone in the room....but this does no good if I am calling my kids at the pool or entourage. The whole idea is to keep intouch. I have older teens who don't have to be under my supervision every minute of the day. If they are in their room, which teens never are, I would call their room or stick my head in next door.

Our group of 21 people rode the Epic July 13 through 20 in the Mediterranean. At least half of of bought this useless app and I don't think any of us used it. I tried to get my moola back on the last day and they blinked at me and scratched their heads as if... Please take a seat. We will look into this... What do you mean, not working? blah blah blah. My opinion, there should be a class action suit for selling an icon with nothing to back it up. My advice: take post-it notes for the cabin door, and a dry erase marker. I left notes with the marker written directly on the cabin door and they all came off completely when it was time.

The bigger question: NCL already had their hand in my pants for loads of up-charges and shore excursions and such, so why do they need to sell me vapor for $8 and then get silly when I ask for a refund on service that wasn't delivered?

Did you discuss it with them during the week?

Did you discuss it with them during the week?

You may not get a response this was an old thread from a year ago.

I researched it because I wanted to know if the app was any better. I can tell you from my experience, i spoke to NCL early in the week and no one knew about the app. I was told to put it on the comment card. It was really hit or miss. You both had to be where wifi was.

You may not get a response this was an old thread from a year ago.

Well there you go, and I usually chuckle to myself when people start replying to old posts. :)

In my defence, I did contribute to a new thread about the app the other day, and when tapatalk notified me about a post on this thread I just assumed it was the newer one.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if this will be available on the Star since she is just out of drydock? Would love to be able to try this out in a couple of weeks.

Based on Jewel and Pearl that have already gone to drydock earlier, Star should have (or soon get) iConcierge, but it is not listed on the iConcierge page - however they have removed Gem from the list so they are finally updating the page.

So I think that we need to wait until first passengers get onboard day after tomorrow to get better information.