folding chair

salboz

I cannot walk for long without needing to sit for 5 m inutes or so. I have bought a fold up stool that is about the size of a rolled up newspaper when folded. It has metal legs that are 18 inches long. Do you think I will have a problem bringing it on the ship or on the airplane?

No.

Any backup statements?

I don't see why it would be an absolute no - but you would need to figure out how to get it approved and make it the right kind.

CaneGrp.GIF

What about something like this? We bought a small stool for my daughter to sit on during the Macy's Day parade that was similar, but a bit larger. She wouldn't be able to stand the whole time we waited for the parade to start.

The key would be to make it a medically necessary device and ask RCI what type of items they would allow. To me, if it was more like a medical need instead of a fold up chair bought at Wal-mart they wouldn't have a problem.

On the ship - you will have plenty of places to sit. Maybe get priority embarkation due to disability?

Would a walker be helpful to you? There is a ton of walking on these ships, remember some are three football fields long! My Mom uses a rollator type walker which comes with a little fold down seat. This also helps her to not fall because she has something to hold onto. There is a disabled cruising board here if you would like to visit over there.:)

Do you think I will have a problem bringing it on the ship or on the airplane?

I cannot imagine you having a problem with this whatsoever. They will send it through the x-ray scanner when you board, though. No big deal. :)

Would a walker be helpful to you? There is a ton of walking on these ships...

Hmm.. it sounds like OP just needs to sit and rest?, not necessarily that s/he needs assistance walking...

I cannot walk for long without needing to sit for 5 m inutes or so.

My Wife and I are like you but we use four wheel walkers with a seat. Our Doctor wrote us a prescription for them and Medicare paid for them.

They are bigger than a folding seat and take up room in the cabin but air and cruise lines go out of their way to accommodate us. The airlines will take the walker when you board the plane and store it for you until you get off.

I have figured out how to "nest" my suitcase with wheels against the walker so I can push them along together. And I can hang my CPAP on one side and my Notebook on the other. I can also sit a carry bag on the seat and remove it when I need to sit and rest.

DSCN1944.jpg

Consider looking into getting one...

My Wife and I are like you but we use four wheel walkers with a seat. Our Doctor wrote us a prescription for them and Medicare paid for them.

They are bigger than a folding seat and take up room in the cabin but air and cruise lines go out of their way to accommodate us. The airlines will take the walker when you board the plane and store it for you until you get off.

I have figured out how to "nest" my suitcase with wheels against the walker so I can push them along together. And I can hang my CPAP on one side and my Notebook on the other. I can also sit a carry bag on the seat and remove it when I need to sit and rest.

DSCN1944.jpg

Consider looking into getting one...

I like how you roll sir! Nice wheels!

I have a condition that keeps me from walking very far. I can continue walking if I sit

for a few minutes. One poster said there were places to stop and sit, which is true

on decks with public lounges, etc. However, when leaving a stateroom and heading to the

other end of a Voyager class ship it's a very long seatless journey. The portable seat

would be a rescue in that type of situation.

Cruzin Lady

Hmm.. it sounds like OP just needs to sit and rest?, not necessarily that s/he needs assistance walking...

This is correct. I can walk fine, but the longer I walk, the more frequently I need to sit down, even just 5 minutes helps greatly. Just about did me in when we went through the Vatican. Actually sat down on the floor.

I have one... legs extend and its like a tripod... taken it several times in my carry on. Never a problem.

That is exactly like this. It is a small tripod when extended. It looks like the cane seat pictured except for the cane part. I am actually more concerned about getting it on the plane than the ship, but from all of your comments, I think I will be fine. I may ask my doc for a note just to be safe. Had not thought of that.

I have a condition that keeps me from walking very far. I can continue walking if I sit

for a few minutes. One poster said there were places to stop and sit, which is true

on decks with public lounges, etc. However, when leaving a stateroom and heading to the

other end of a Voyager class ship it's a very long seatless journey. The portable seat

would be a rescue in that type of situation.

Cruzin Lady

Hi Carolyn and Hoyt - How was your trip to New Orleans?

Archived