Dog sled ride on snow?

avalon007

Hi,

We are doing a 12 day cruise/tour with RCCL starting on 25th August & I would like to do the dog sled rides you see advertised, but it appears at that time of the year (late Summer - early Autumn) that the snow has retreated & the sled rides are using the wheeled buggies.

But I would really prefer to do the sled ride on snow/ice - doesn't quite seem the same to me without the white stuff.:)

Is there any chance of doing a sled ride on snow at that time of year?

If so, in what town/city is this most likely to be available?

Thanks.

Hi,

We are doing a 12 day cruise/tour with RCCL starting on 25th August & I would like to do the dog sled rides you see advertised, but it appears at that time of the year (late Summer - early Autumn) that the snow has retreated & the sled rides are using the wheeled buggies.

But I would really prefer to do the sled ride on snow/ice - doesn't quite seem the same to me without the white stuff.:)

Is there any chance of doing a sled ride on snow at that time of year?

If so, in what town/city is this most likely to be available?

Thanks.

We did one last year - April from the Knit River Resort - FANTASTIC!!

It was a flight up in the mountain by helicopter - google Knit River Resort.

You don't give any details about direction, hopefully you are northbound? better for inside passage weather, and possible glacier dog sledding. Denali is excellent in Sept with fall colors and possible northern lights- although not ideal with cruisetours.

You can not count on any glaicer dog sleding schedules in Sept on the inside passage. I have also seen the camps occasionally shut down mid August. The companies will ALWAYS take reservations, and be vague about their "dates". I would suggest you look at Seward- weather is more stable, and if at all possible, spend time in Seward, it is a big loss to miss out on it. Especially if you aren't going to be a frequent visitor.

Temsco Helicopters does helicopter rides to the ice fields with dog sled rides on the ice out of both Skagway and Juneau.

There are three helicopter companines out of Juneau who offer glacier dog sledding, and Skagway only has TEMSCO- so all their tours are with them. None of the companies are any guarantee of late season/Sept trips. And it actually is way more snow based for the glaicer dog sledding camps, not ice.

Thanks everyone for the info, we are arriving in Anchorage 25 Aug doing the 5 day pre cruise tour which ends in Seward & then boarding the ship for the Southbound journey to Vancouver on 30 Aug.

We visit Denali, Talkeetna, Alyeska, Seward then on the cruise the ports we get off at are Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point & Ketchikan.

I have looked at the helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier sled rides but may be too expensive for us at $1000 for the 2 of us.:(

Oh well, will see what happens regards the budget, still 6 months to go.

Thanks again for all the info. :)

Archived