Brilliance Feb. 9 to 16, 2 nights San Juan

Do you remember your cab fare from airport to El Convento? Also, at what time did they hold Muster Drill?

According to Puerto Rico tourism company the rate from the airport, zone1 to Old San Juan, zone4 is $19 plus $1 per bag. we had 4 bags and he charged $25.

Muster drill was Sat. Day 1 at 5:45PM.

Tuesday, Feb. 12, Day 4, Port St. Kitts

I booked an independent excursion in this port. Another first for me. I booked Myislands Tours by Javin. I was looking for an active tour that had hiking, snorkeling, and tour of the island. Cruise critic really helped me by giving me the information I needed to decide on tours and they were the right ones for me - big thumbs up CC.

After eating breakfast in the dining room for the first and only time on this cruise, we were off the ship at 8:45AM. We were to meet Javin at 9AM in front of the Smoke n Booze store just outside the dock.

IMG_3338_zps9826ef88.jpg

IMG_3152_zps6eca7cb0.jpg

Javin holding sign for other couple.

DSCN0788_zps74628502.jpg

While Lance and I waited for the other couple, I walked around in the square and 2 locals with monkeys kept asking me for $10 to have pic made with the monkeys. I politely declined but one man was very persistent. I felt sorry for the monkeys and I finally told the guy, I will give you $5 if I can take your pic with the monkeys. He seemed perturbed but it worked. After the pic, he left.

DSCN0789_zps255acf25.jpg

This is the information that Javin emailed me: Meet at 9am in front of Smoke N Booze (straight ahead off the ship and to the left). I would be waiting there holding a sign with your name on it. From there we would see a few sights in town (the Circus and Independence Square) from there we head to Black Rocks where we go down onto the lava rocks for pictures. Then we head back to the town of Cayon where we will hike up the Cayon Ghaut (river system) into the rainforest. We will enjoy nature and swim in cool, mountain-fed pools. After the hike we will head over the southeast peninsula and snorkel and then head to a beach for some beach time with great views of our sister island, Nevis. Then it is back to the ship for 4pm.

We were the only ship in St. Kitts today. Less people right but it also has a down side. The beaches were not as busy so some beach bars did not open and the ones that did had limited services like no lunch, drinks only.

The other couple arrived and we walked to his open air bus. The day started out sunny but during the tour of downtown it started to rain. Javin's bus has clear vinyl side enclosures he can unroll and tie down. It kept the rain out and we were still able to see the sights. It also got alittle chilly with the rain. After the town, we went to the area where he grew up. He spoke proudly of his hometown and island. He was veryinformative.

Javin and his bus.

IMG_3179_zps292b14e6.jpg

Javin told us that the Green monkeys are over populated and eating the crops. He said one way to help control the population was the locals killing them for food. Javin said the monkeys were brought here by the french when African slaves were brought here for working the sugar cane fields. When the slaves escaped and went into the hills and mountains and planted their own crops and gardens, the monkeys would eat all their crops. The slaves would then have to return from the hills back to the owner because of having no food.

First stop in his hometown has one of his playgrounds growing up. An old cotton gin.

IMG_3159_zpsa30a7ee1.jpg

We then went to the Black Rocks site. Lance and I are min to moderatly fit. We walk alot and hike area parks. We had no trouble negiotating the rocks. We had shoes with good traction, a must. The rocks were very sharp. The view at the bottom is spectacular. The surf and waves crashing and rock formations make the descent and climb back up worth it.

DSC03232_zps6bfbcb6b.jpg

IMG_3190_zpse1ac537b.jpg

DSC03283_zps52400e36.jpg

DSC03277_zps5ff865ce.jpg

Back at the top, there was a nice, clean bathroom, a bar, and local vendors selling jewlry.

IMG_3210_zps27762def.jpg

Next stop was to sugar cane field to sample raw sugar cane. Then we hiked into a rain forest. It had been drizzling and cool so we did not hike to the pools. The rocks were very slippery, here again shoes with good traction are a must.

IMG_3226_zpscb633a1a.jpg

St. Kitts looks so interesting - too bad you had rain.

I'm so disappointed that they changed the menu in Seaview. When we were on Brilliance, they served pizza and pasta dishes that were very good.

The weather wasn't kind to us on St. Kitts but it stopped long enough for us to see most of the sites. The wings, onion rings, french french fries, and sandwhiches were good. They also had chips with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole that made a good snack.

St. Kitts continued. After we had a snack at the end of our rain forest hike, we had a very scenic ride to the Southeast pennisula to White Bay for snorkeling. In this bay was a shipwreck and a cannon. There was a group of people just getting into the water to snorkel. Paula and I were too cold to get in the water so the guys decided not to go in either.

Next we headed to Cockleshell Beach. We had some beers in the Lions Gate bar and had beautiful views of Nevis. This was a good time.

IMG_3261_zps894a755a.jpg

This was the cook but she was not cooking today, not enough business. Also their were no bathrooms so she told the guys to find a tree and they did.

IMG_3262_zps8b4ccb0a.jpg

We watched this guy try to get airborne. Very interesting watercraft.

DSC03349_zpscf1d1972.jpg

In front of the bar, lounge chairs and palm leave umbrellas were set up for small rent fee. The next couple of pics are my favorite, I sipped on my beer and just gazed at the scenery. This was good for my soul.

IMG_3243_zps62e7ea46.jpg

IMG_3258_zps692470f7.jpg

The next pics are from along the Southeast part of the island that as of yet is undeveloped. Javin said that is about to change. He said within the next 2 years all the unspoiled views will be gone and houses and condos will be built. There is an old salt pond that the developers are currently making into a marina and this is just on the other side of White Bay.

IMG_3299_zpsa46ea5e6.jpg

IMG_3154_zps9f9205f6.jpg

IMG_3300_zps023ede5a.jpg

Really enjoying your review, we're doing the same ports on Brilliance in a few weeks! We've booked an excursion to the Bath's at the Tortola stop, and an independent tour on St. Kitts. Like you we've been to St. Martin a lot (including a one week stay a few years ago). So that's also our day to chill out - we'll go into town for shopping, eating and drinking, not necessarily in that order:D

Looking forward to seeing what you did in Guadeloupe, we haven't made any decisions on that.

The next pics are from along the Southeast part of the island that as of yet is undeveloped. Javin said that is about to change. He said within the next 2 years all the unspoiled views will be gone and houses and condos will be built. There is an old salt pond that the developers are currently making into a marina and this is just on the other side of White Bay.

IMG_3299_zpsa46ea5e6.jpg

IMG_3154_zps9f9205f6.jpg

IMG_3300_zps023ede5a.jpg

Last picture is excellent showing the calm caribbean on the right and the roudy atlantic ocean on the left. One of the FAVORITE stops. I knew Iliked you for a reason beside your pretty smile.:p you are talented too.

Enjoying your review! Thanks for all of the information! So is there anywhere to get late night pizza on the ship? I didn't realize Seaview doesn't have it anymore. Wings and onion rings sound good though! Do they offer different flavor wings? Thanks

Seaview has many good snacks from Hamburgers & Nathan Hot dogs to Ruebens and fish and chips even the chilli. Not sure about pizza but we did get pizza in the Solarium. There is always room service.

I'm loving your review!

We did this similar route on Serenade last year, but stopped in Dominica instead of Guadeloupe.

Ironically, we also stayed at El Convento, chose JVD over The Baths and loved, loved, loved St. Kitts. That's my new favorite island! Sorry you had poor weather.

I'm anxious to find out your thoughts on the rest of the ports.

Ann

Enjoying your review! Thanks for all of the information! So is there anywhere to get late night pizza on the ship? I didn't realize Seaview doesn't have it anymore. Wings and onion rings sound good though! Do they offer different flavor wings? Thanks

Pizza is on the room service menu. My husband had the wings and they were bone in breaded with no spice or heat. There are bottles of hot sauce available in the cafe. The onion rings were very good.

Really enjoying your review, we're doing the same ports on Brilliance in a few weeks! We've booked an excursion to the Bath's at the Tortola stop, and an independent tour on St. Kitts. Like you we've been to St. Martin a lot (including a one week stay a few years ago). So that's also our day to chill out - we'll go into town for shopping, eating and drinking, not necessarily in that order:D

Looking forward to seeing what you did in Guadeloupe, we haven't made any decisions on that.

I am in the process of getting pics ready for Guadeloupe posts as I type.:) It is coming up.

Next we walked toward San Cristobal fortress. It was after 12 noon and 2 ships were sailing into port for the day.

Then the Enchanment sailed up. I don't know who the young couple was enjoying each other's company among the fortress grounds but my husband and I thought it was a sweet pic.

IMG_3018_zps2cac904c.jpg

That's the day we were in San Juan :) Neat to see a picture of her coming in!

St. Kitts continued: I enjoyed St. Kitts and it would have only been better if it had not rained so much. The island is so diverse with the volcanic black rocks, sugar cane fields for rum, rain forrests, soft white sand beaches, mountains, and charismatic, friendly people. Javin did an outstanding job of showing us his island.

Later back on the ship, prior to 8:30 PM diner, Lance and I went to the Schooner bar. The entertainer was Manda Vincent, piano player and irish singer. She was very funny.

Day 5 Wednesday Port Guadeloupe

I really tried to prepare for this port, learning french phrases, having Euros, and looking up resturants along the beach at Sainte-Anne. I ended up booking RCIs excursion Sainte-Anne on you own for 10:30AM when I could not find much info on places close to pier and in Pointe au Pitre. Lance and I made it to the meeting place for our bus. There were no signs but I saw some people standing around and I found out they were waiting for the same excursion. The area outside the terminal is enclosed by a fence and has multiple vendors selling clothing, vanilla beans, and souveniors. In this area was an information booth with maps of the island.

The bus arrived and we boarded. The seats where pretty narrow but we managed. The bus driver did not speak english. A lady boarded the bus and told us about our excursion. She spoke good english and was very friendly and patient, repeating herself several times so all could hear. The bus was taking us to Sainte-Anne and the bus would park where it could find a spot and pick us up at that spot. That day, Feb. 13 was a big holiday in Guadeloupe so the buses regular parking area was full. Also, we were to meet the bus at the right time, 1:45PM, or we would be out of luck because the taxis quit running in the afternoon because of the holiday. It took 25 minutes to get to the beach. The bus stopped at a stop sign in front of a small tourist shopping mall. We had 2 hours and 45 minutes to shop, eat at a french resturant, and Lance wanted to swim. We walked through the little shopping mall, it had a bar/resturant, no charge bathrooms, and several nice stores.

In this pic, I put an arrow at the opening of mall where the bus dropped us off and picked us up. At that spot is also the bar.

91286056-a4d7-441d-8687-0e49a77c69c1_zpsc122dda2.jpg

We then crossed the street to walk on the nice beachside sidewalk. The beach area was packed with people, cars, and vendors selling spices and fruits and vegies. They all looked so apetizing.

IMG_3341_zps67c064cd.jpg

IMG_3344_zps6a1cff70.jpg

IMG_3345_zpseb412a9e.jpg

Everyone was enjoying the warm, sunny day and the clear water. This makes for a great holiday. Lance did not get many pics of the beach out of respect for the many topless sunbathers.

IMG_3350_zps207c19c1.jpg

Now comes the shopping. I has some much fun speaking french, well suppose to be french but with a little southern drawl. The vendors were pleasant not pushy, they helped me when I asked. Non of the spice market vendors spoke english. I had some much fun, I bought vanilla beans at 3 different vendors just so I could speak more french. I also bought some coffee and colombo spice to make a caribbean stew.

IMG_3348_zpsf1763682.jpg

IMG_3346_zps144485e4.jpg

As Lance and I were walking, a man speaking fast french came up to me and was pointing at a french coin. I was trying to explain politely that I did not understand. He left. Lance said that begging is a universal language and that is what he was doing. After my last purchase of vanilla beans, he came up to me again, talking louder and more frantic. I think he saw me get french coins for change. Lance had to step in this time and push him away because this man was in my personal space. He left after Lance saved the day. This was the only bump in the road for our experience in Guadeloupe, beside not having enough time in Sainte Anne.

Next Lance wanted to swim but I told him that we would be swimming tomorrow in Barbados and that we may not have enough time for swimming and eating and drinking in a resturant. We chose a resturant were they had an advertisement for a beer Lance had not had before.

DSCN0795_zps05debafd.jpg

DSCN0796_zps95bf4402.jpg

We had a 1 hour and 30 minutes to get back to the bus reboarding place and the walk back to that point was 15minutes so I was secretly getting a little nervous about the limited time. I wish we had more time at Sainte-Anne because we did not get to do all we wanted. I was getting more nervous as the clocked ticked because my limited french would not help us if we here left behind and I left my french translation book on the ship. Lance got the red snapper and beer and I got a carafe of wine and I really needed it to relax.

DSCN0800_zpsa6275490.jpg

Lance said the snapper and caribbean veggies were good.

DSCN0801_zpsf29b7a15.jpg

DSCN0797_zps673e949b.jpg

I did well ordering for us but the waiter spoke english so we all spoke english then, we has very nice, he was super busy though, with all the holiday beach seekers getting lunch. We finished and rushed back to the little shopping mall avoiding the market. We made it with 20 minutes to spare and Lance knew I was relieved. .

We had enough time to shop and drink une autre biere. The bathrooms in this mall did not cost. On the beach there were port a potties that you had to pay for. I bought a few nick nacks here and the shop keeper also spoke english. At the bar, I ordered Lance and me a beer and paid the man in euros and he looked pleasantly surprised. He spoke limited english but when he had trouble understanding a customer there was a lady working with him that was fluent in english. As we sat at the bar, a young man bought a bottle of water and paid for it with dollars. Lance laughed out loud and said ha they take dollars. I think that spoiled his picture perfect french experience.

IMG_3352_zps8452db28.jpg

IMG_3354_zps04b3c9d6.jpg

We made it on the bus, whoooooh. I still don't know how we would have made it back if we missed the bus and the taxis not running.

Archived