Brilliance Feb. 9 to 16, 2 nights San Juan

The pics are bigger now, I can't get photobucket to save them in the resized 800 X 600. I want to get this port done tonight for those leaving tomorrow or Sat morning for their Brilliance cruise so the pics just have to be big

On the bus ride back, I noticed that the island is very modern with good road system and newer cars. The area closer to town had alot of abandoned buildings and graffti on the walls. 200 to 300 years from now this will probably be considered a historic artifact. I spoke to 2 couples who did not like their excursion. It was hike to a waterfall. They said the tour guide did not give good information and the hike was much more intense than described in the exercusion website.

I would love to come back to Guadaloupe for a longer day with 1/2 day beach time and resturant and 1/2 day shopping and practice more french. It met my expectations as a caribbean island with a french flare. The people were friendly and beautiful and I could listen to someone speaking french all day, it is so romantic. As for the beggar, they are in every country and I always seem to get picked by them.

IMG_3371_zps3b5eb5ee.jpg

IMG_3379_zpsbed184ad.jpg

IMG_3383_zps5066eb3a.jpg

We are sent off with a huge farewell, Au revoir.

IMG_3363_zps2b158903.jpg

I'm loving your review!

We did this similar route on Serenade last year, but stopped in Dominica instead of Guadeloupe.

Ironically, we also stayed at El Convento, chose JVD over The Baths and loved, loved, loved St. Kitts. That's my new favorite island! Sorry you had poor weather.

I'm anxious to find out your thoughts on the rest of the ports.

Ann

El Convento is the place to stay for relaxation and being right in the middle of all the history. Didn't you love it!

We had enough time to shop and drink une autre biere. The bathrooms in this mall did not cost. On the beach there were port a potties that you had to pay for. I bought a few nick nacks here and the shop keeper also spoke english. At the bar, I ordered Lance and me a beer and paid the man in euros and he looked pleasantly surprised. He spoke limited english but when he had trouble understanding a customer there was a lady working with him that was fluent in english. As we sat at the bar, a young man bought a bottle of water and paid for it with dollars. Lance laughed out loud and said ha they take dollars. I think that spoiled his picture perfect french experience.

If you want a picture perfect French experience, you should go to France. Try a Mediterranean cruise with stops in Villefranche, Toulon and Marseille. That would be a French experience!

You mentioned you still have copies of the Compass. I know the Welcome Aboard show is a single showing, but what are the times for the other shows? I know there are typically two shows, to accommodate the two traditional dining times, but I don't recall what those times are. Sadly, I haven't been able to cruise for a couple of years!!! Thanks...LOVING your review and photos!!

You mentioned you still have copies of the Compass. I know the Welcome Aboard show is a single showing, but what are the times for the other shows? I know there are typically two shows, to accommodate the two traditional dining times, but I don't recall what those times are. Sadly, I haven't been able to cruise for a couple of years!!! Thanks...LOVING your review and photos!!

Here is the compass weekly planner. It has all entertainment condensed. I have daily planners except for St. Maarten and St. Kitts. If you want the ones I have just let me know.

img098_zpsab1a06ac.jpg

img099_zpsc02aae55.jpg

Fantastic review and pictures. :) - loved it!

Even though our itenerary is not exactly the same as ours, it really got us excited to read it!!

Gaudaloupe is a new port for us, and is the most anticipated. Can't wait!

(and thanks to Uncle John for pointing me to your thread) ;)

Laura, we just returned last night (did the B2B). You have done a great job conveying the week with your pictures and dialogue. Excellent review! It was a fantastic week. All of our excursions, except for St Anne on Your Own, were different but you have captured how we felt about Old San Juan, the different islands and the ship. We really had a good CC group on this cruise and so enjoyed meeting everyone!

Laura, we just returned last night (did the B2B). You have done a great job conveying the week with your pictures and dialogue. Excellent review! It was a fantastic week. All of our excursions, except for St Anne on Your Own, were different but you have captured how we felt about Old San Juan, the different islands and the ship. We really had a good CC group on this cruise and so enjoyed meeting everyone!

One day I am going to do a B2B. Hope everything went smooth for you. I wish I could have had a little longer time to speak with everyone but the ports kept everyone busy.

Day 6, Thursday, Port: Barbados

I chose Silver Moon cruises for a relaxing day on the water sailing on one of their catamarans, with enough room to spread out. We were on the half day lunch tour with limit of 12 persons. We had to meet their rep at 9:00AM in the cruise terminal so we left the ship at 8:45AM after eating another good breakfast in Windjammer. We took the shuttle just outside the ship on the pier, because although we like to walk, we didn't think we would make our time. P & O cruiseline had a ship in port today. Once at the terminal, we followed the signs out of the terminal to the tour area and meet with Silver Moon rep at Gate 2. After a short wait, we got on another small bus and had a short trip to their pier. Silver Moon had 2 cats and Lance and I just about got on the wrong one, this group seemed like a fun, party group. Oh well, I liked the cat we ended up on better.

This is the one we did not go on.

IMG_3384_zps50b78e30.jpg

We sailed promptly at 9:30AM. We had 12 passengers mostly early 30s to late 40s age range except one little boy maybe 10 or 11. The captain and her first mate were great. I wish I could remember their names. The cat was in excellent condition, clean and well maintained. The head was the biggest, cleanest one I have seen on a cat tour. The cat had more than enough room for all of us. Lance and I were able to stretch out on the trampoline and then get shade, seating inside. The drinks were plentyful with a good selection of fruit punch, rum punch, sodas, and beer. At lunch white wine and after lunch pina colada offered.

Back to front showing all covered area.

IMG_3440_zps9dee6136.jpg

Front of the cat in back of trampoline.

IMG_3385_zpsff2af5b6.jpg

The captain and showing the back of the boat.

IMG_3411_zps684c38cc.jpg

The trampoline. One on each side and the other side also has a seat.

DSCN0809_zps3e89c56d.jpg

The captain was very patient with the boy. He was active, lively, and curious. She showed him how to steer the boat and how the lines to the sails worked. She did get stern and ordered him out of the bridge/navigating area when he turned the motor off and we stalled :eek:.

92f37e7c-93d5-4ac8-8ef0-f3331be470e0_zps6fbb1f3d.jpg

We first headed to Payne's Bay on sail/wind power only. It was great. The other Silver Moon cat and one from Calabaza beat us to the area but we got more sail time.

IMG_3403_zpsd204c042.jpg

The next pics aren't the best. The crew member, Tony(I think) fed the turtles. I remember seeing 3 large green turtles and was able to gentle touch each one.

DSCN0804_zps4d395bee.jpg

DSCN0805_zpsd0528785.jpg

After plenty of time to snorkel with set sail for Carlisle Bay for snorkeling over 2 ship wrecks. We were offered warm banana bread for snacking on the way. It was terrific. After another good sail we made it to the bay. It was alittle more crowded with scuba divers and more snorkelers. I passed on this as well as two other ladies. Tony poured us white wine to enjoy while the others snorkeled. Lance said the snorkeling was good with lots of colorful fish everywhere. After this we motored closer to a beach for lunch and a couple of folks swam to the beach after lunch. Lunch was good and included fried fish, grilled chicken, macaroni and cheese bake, red beans and rice, slaw, grilled bread, green salad, and local hot sauce that Lance loved. We looked for it at the terminal shops but no luck.

After sight seeing, we had pina coladas and sadly returned to the pier. I could have easily sailed the entire day.

The Jolly Roger pirate ship.

IMG_3438_zpsc2b0e3d9.jpg

The Brilliance, Free Winds, and P & O hidden on the other side of the Brilliance.

IMG_3436_zpsacc15c77.jpg

DSCN0813_zps70503cda.jpg

We had a little rain during lunch and we were kept dry zipping the front and sides down. Here is a pic of the other Silver Moon cat without the covering we had.

IMG_3448_zpsf77789a3.jpg

IMG_3408_zps2bec0cd5.jpg

I highly recommend this half day sail. It was what I expected. We returned to the terminal and spent 30 minutes on I pad, sending pics through facebook. The terminal has free Wifi. We did some shopping and was back on the boat by 4:00PM. This was another great day.

So is there anywhere to get late night pizza on the ship? I didn't realize Seaview doesn't have it anymore. Wings and onion rings sound good though! Do they offer different flavor wings? Thanks

Re Seaview Cafe -- The wings are breaded, crispy -- no different flavours.

We ordered the "Feather and Fingers" I think it was called -- got two breaded chicken strips and ONE wing. I went back and ordered six wings -- not on the menu but no problem to order -- and they arrived promptly.

We found the servings to be quite small in the dining room, too -- which is not a problem and cuts down on waste. It just meant a learning experience was needed first -- and we started doubling or tripling our orders to get the portions we wanted for sharing as we were eating in a group of six. In the dining room, too, our guys were ordering double meat portions on the main courses, or two different main courses, to fill up. We were eating between meals at all and they were hungry! And all of us ordered two appetizers at every meal. Great variety there -- not huge variety in Windjammer. But predictability can be good. The dining room desserts were ample portions but often so tantalizing that we ordered two just because we could not choose. Loved, loved the Jaffa cake - orange and chocolate with a tiny layer of sponge cake inside. I'm in favour of the smaller portions but everyone should feel free to double up if their appetite demands it. The Windjammer really needs to be open longer, too, IMO.

So is there anywhere to get late night pizza on the ship? I didn't realize Seaview doesn't have it anymore. Wings and onion rings sound good though! Do they offer different flavor wings? Thanks

The wings are breaded, crispy -- no different flavours.

We ordered the "Feather and Fingers" I think it was called -- got two breaded chicken strips and ONE wing. I went back and ordered six wings -- not on the menu but no problem to order -- and they arrived promptly.

We found the servings to be quite small in the dining room, too -- which is not a problem and cuts down on waste. It just meant a learning experience was needed first -- and we started doubling or tripling our orders in the Seaview to get the portions we wanted for sharing as we were eating in a group of six. Corn chips with salsa/sour cream also a tiny portion.

In the dining room, too, our guys were ordering double meat portions on the main courses, or two different main courses, to fill up. We were eating between meals at all and they were hungry! And all of us ordered two appetizers at every meal. Great variety there -- not huge variety in Windjammer. But predictability can be good. The dining room desserts were ample portions but often so tantalizing that we ordered two just because we could not choose. Loved, loved the Jaffa cake - orange and chocolate with a tiny layer of sponge cake inside. I'm in favour of the smaller portions but everyone should feel free to double up if their appetite demands it.

Day 7 Friday Sea Day

We ate breakfast in the Windjammer this morning. I usually do room service but not this cruise, another first. I have to say this cruise, I liked all the selections in the windjammer: fruits, smoked salmon, hard boiled eggs, yogurt, and oatmeal. The only fruit I could not find was figs. Lance liked the premade omlets, hashbrowns, bacon and sausage. The crowd was manageable. The servers did an excellent job of keeping everything stocked and areas cleaned. I don't remember seeing alot of food wasted this trip like I have seen in the past. I always hated to see plates of uneat food just wasted.

I was to be in charge of the cabin crawl today but had to back out and give the reins to Uncle John. Anis, the concierge arranged the burial at sea for my husband's sister. We had about a 6th of her ashes to scatter into the ocean. She loved to cruise and was to be on this cruise with us if she recovered from an 8 month illness. After a long fight, she died in Sept. I bought a biodegradeable container for her ashes. Had no problem keeping it in carry on luggage. I brought a certified death certificate per Anis's request so he could have a certificate made of Jeanine's burial at sea with time and cooridinates of the event. We met in the old concierge lounge. He and his supervisor of guest services led us to deck 5 aft. A lady was standing at the site of the service and the guest service manager kindly asked her to move for the moment. She graciously left. The service was short and simple. Lance had closure releasing the last remains of his younger sister to the sea. Anis then gave Lance a bouquet of flowers which Lance released into the wake after the urn. To me it was so peaceful and perfect seeing the urn and flowers drifting with the wake until out of site. Anis and his supervisor then left us to have our privacy. Lance and I said a prayer and it was done.

DSCN0833_zps3447c84c.jpg

Dining: Lance and I ate in main dining room 5 nights second seating, Portofinos 1 night, and suite menu room service 1 night. The menus in the main dining room have greatly improved so much so in my opinion that I probably will not book a speciality resturant for diner again. Portofinos was good but the food in the main dining room was also good. The serice about the same. Portofino is a much smaller venue, so it was quiet.

Lance and I were forunate to have such wonderful and fun tablemates.

Joe and Kathy from Virginia who cruise with another couple from Virginia.

DSCN0822_zps9e3a4714.jpg

Herman and Theresa.

DSCN0821_zpsbc0893c3.jpg

and Carmen and Jeff from ? (forgot) who travel

DSCN0792_zpsfc8ed1e3.jpg

Doug and Ann from Massachuets

DSCN0793_zpsbf9a8bc8.jpg

Our servers were excellent, timely and helpful in providing the tastiest recommendations: Ioan from Romania, waiter and Jovanny from Columbia, assistant waiter. They got one of our 2 WOW cards.

DSCN0839_zps46aa5f1b.jpg

Ioan was very professional but fun. He was busy and never stopped moving. We never had too wait long for anything. Ioan somehow was able to find one last lobster tail last formal night for Lance. Ioan never pressured us into giving good scores on survey. He encouraged us to fill one out and specifically comment on taste of food as the chef has had some complaints on the past cruises.

As much as I liked late dining on all previous cruises, Lance and I just can't hang anymore. We were so tired after diner that we did not go to one show in the theater. On our next cruise in July we are trying 6PM dining.

I can not comment on shows since we did not go to any other than the 70's party and it was in the centrum.

Lance and I choose this cruise for the ports but an added benefit was all the nice people we met. We had a blast joking with them and telling funny cruise stories.

John and Mary again. John is so nice and fun. Thanks for the beers at Sharky's. I hope I can cruise with you again.

DSCN0817_zps88351614.jpg

Rick and Sandra who we had drinks with every night in Concierge Lounge. I could listen to Rick tell stories all night, bloody right:D,

DSCN0816_zpse6654d5e.jpg

All good things come to an end. Time to put luggage outside of the door and remember to keep out clothes for the next day.

DSCN0840_zps190c7ca7.jpg

I am planning another so. caribbean cruise out of San Juan with the whole family. So worth it and relaxing enough to reenergize me for going back to work until next cruise.

Archived