Star Family Suite SC: room for 5?

FitchburgWIFamily

Hello,

We are in a 2 bedroom family suite on the Star.

We are sailing as a family of four, with my mother.

We would like to give my mother the en suite...giving her some privacy. She would then have her own bathroom, her own closet, her own tv (even if it is a small tv). The alternative would be to have her sleep on the sofa in the living room, which would mean that when my octagenarian mother went to bed, everyone had to be in bed.

Clearly..my husband and I are using the bedroom in the suite. That is non negotiable. (Love my momma...but....)

So, I have a 12 year old son and a almost 11 year old daughter to find a place for in the living room. My understanding is that the sofa makes into a twin bed.

Has anyone ever heard of anyone:

1: getting a rollaway for an additional passenger?

2: bringing their own twin airbed for someone to sleep on the floor?

3: putting two people on the sofa sleeper?

4: coming up with a clever way to solve this dilema?

Thank you for your help!

DMH15: Thank you....your accidental typo made me laugh. We are keeping the bedroom to ourself to keep the "sin" off the sofa ;-)

Lost Sailor...thanks for the pictures. That was very helpful.

I think the upper berth in the en suite could work ... but I sure would like to find a way to keep my mom in a room to herself.

Anyone else have any other ideas?

The SC suites connect to the mini suites next door... that's another option, but of course a more expensive one. You could book two people in the mini and 3 in the SC. I've heard that for linked reservations like that they typically extend suite benefits to the whole group, but I don't know that for sure.

The SC suites connect to the mini suites next door... that's another option, but of course a more expensive one. You could book two people in the mini and 3 in the SC. I've heard that for linked reservations like that they typically extend suite benefits to the whole group, but I don't know that for sure.

You cannot count on it though.

What about switching to a SJ Family suite for the family and getting an inside across the hall for grandma? That way she would have a full sized room and not have to sleep on an uncomfortable sofa bed. The SJ does not have a balcony and is pricedlower than the SC - maybe enough lower to cover the cost of the inside cabin. These cabins are all on deck 12 and are fairly new. The SJ has an open floor plan and your kids could each have their own bed. The bathroom is pretty nice too although no windows outside in it. I bet the concierge would figure out a way to accomodate your 80 year old mother with Cagney's breakfast/lunch or the like.

Edited by herdingdogmom

If you are wanting the luxury of a beautiful suite I would definitely do the two bedroom. I have stayed in it and on our last cruise saw the SJ which is basically just a large open room with curtain dividers to afford a semblance of privacy.

The fold out couch in the small bedroom is not real comfortable so I would definitely request two egg crates. The fold down bunk would be good for a child or small adult.

The only thing dividing the master bedroom from the master bath is a heavy curtain. The cabin has pocket doors the separate the master suite from the living room area of the cabin. So unless you are planning on allowing who ever sleeps on the couch to use your bathroom in the middle of the night they will be using the one in the small bedroom.

There is room in the living room area to move the dining table back a bit and put a roll-away in there. It may be a little crowded but doable.

It is a beautiful suite and my DH, DD and I enjoyed having our dinner served to us their on a couple of nights when we were just to tired to move.

Thank you all for advice and help.

I stuck with the SC, and worked with our PCC to:

• Have the sofa bed in the en suite made up as a bed with some extra foam paddind for my mother.
  • Have a rollaway brought in for my DD or DS, so that we can use the sofa sleeper and the rollaway in the living room for the kids.

Now, I just have to order pillows for four beds, and we are good to go.

There are far far worse chores to have to do than order pillows, aren't there?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Im considering the 2br for a baltic cruisefor 6- my parents will get the master bedroom, my husband and i the small room, my son 21 and daughter 13, to sleep in the living room. Will we fit?

1. 2bathrooms- is the master bath accessible to those who are in the living room?

2. Like OP above, we son can have the sofa bed and daughter a roll away? Actually daughter can also sleep on the upper bunk in the small room with us, if she likes.

Will we be ok with this set up?

Hi,

Im considering the 2br for a baltic cruisefor 6- my parents will get the master bedroom, my husband and i the small room, my son 21 and daughter 13, to sleep in the living room. Will we fit?

1. 2bathrooms- is the master bath accessible to those who are in the living room?

2. Like OP above, we son can have the sofa bed and daughter a roll away? Actually daughter can also sleep on the upper bunk in the small room with us, if she likes.

Master bath has to be accessed via master bedroom.

Hi,

You should check out cruisestaterooms.com. You can buy a lifetime subscription for like $20. Best investment ever. You can look at floor plans click in the camera and see pictures. It is a great tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

We just stayed in this suite on the Dawn. If the Star is the same, there are heavy drapes that can be closed to seal off the bedroom from the bathroom area. People on the living room beds could definitely freely use the bathroom, but those in the bedroom would hear them (depending how soundly they sleep). I would take some sort of a clamp to hold the drapes shut, because they tend to fall open a little in the middle.