A well beaten track

tgh

Working through options for our visit to the Alaskan " Wilderness" , I discovered some interesting information.

On our day in Skagway four ships with a nominal capacity of over 7000 are due to dock together at 7am...

Next day in Juneau , four different combinations carrying "only" 5500 will arrive.

If the average tour bus holds 50 odd.. that's a lot of buses lined up to head off into the "wilderness "... :-)

As Bearbait stated, in Juneau, 4000 of them will stay downtown buying tee shirts, 1000 will take the bus to Mendenhall Glacier, get off, take a couple pictures and then sit under the shelter for an hour until the bus returns, 490 will go on packaged tours such as helicopter or whale watching boat, and perhaps 10 will rent a car or strike out on foot to actually take to a trail.

Trust it from a local. We see very little increase in non-local traffic on any of our trails during the summer. It's sad but true.

Working through options for our visit to the Alaskan " Wilderness" , I discovered some interesting information.

On our day in Skagway four ships with a nominal capacity of over 7000 are due to dock together at 7am...

Next day in Juneau , four different combinations carrying "only" 5500 will arrive.

If the average tour bus holds 50 odd.. that's a lot of buses lined up to head off into the "wilderness "... :-)

Aren't your numbers under estimated?? It isn't uncommon to have 10,000+++ unload in ports. :) :)

As already mentioned, it is darn simple to travel in solitude in Alaska, it's just that very few people do. It isn't at all what you are thinking.

Aren't your numbers under estimated?? It isn't uncommon to have 10,000+++ unload in ports. :) :)

As already mentioned, it is darn simple to travel in solitude in Alaska, it's just that very few people do. It isn't at all what you are thinking.

But what about the buffet, formal nights and the Baked Alaska???

But what about the buffet, formal nights and the Baked Alaska???

Yikes- miss a meal??????????? Can't wear my Minnie Mouse gown?????

Yep I'm glad those are some people's priorities- gives me more "space".

That is what is excellent about the large cruiseships- freedom of choice.

Archived