Diamond Cruising with Non-Diamond

JoeO

Just back from a great 5-island AOS cruise, San Juan to Barbados and back, with a "Significant Other" companion, my wife having passed on four years ago. My wife and I were Diamond members. My new companion was not.

Even though we shared the same cabin my companion was not permitted entry into the Diamond Lounge area.

I can think of many comments to describe this policy; Rediculous! Ludicrous! Unimmagineable! All apply equally especially since CELEBRITY CRUISES, Royal Caribbean's sister cruise line permits it.

The quote from Celebrity's newsletter is;

"All ELITE MEMBERS and their companions staying in the same suite/stateroom over 21 years old are welcome."

Can you immagine how surprised, disappointed and hurt I was for my companion to have been refused enhtry?

What's your opinion?

Joe O

Just back from a great 5-island AOS cruise, San Juan to Barbados and back, with a "Significant Other" companion, my wife having passed on four years ago. My wife and I were Diamond members. My new companion was not.

Even though we shared the same cabin my companion was not permitted entry into the Diamond Lounge area.

I can think of many comments to describe this policy; Rediculous! Ludicrous! Unimmagineable! All apply equally especially since CELEBRITY CRUISES, Royal Caribbean's sister cruise line permits it.

The quote from Celebrity's newsletter is;

"All ELITE MEMBERS and their companions staying in the same suite/stateroom over 21 years old are welcome."

Can you immagine how surprised, disappointed and hurt I was for my companion to have been refused enhtry?

What's your opinion?

Joe O

Those are the rules on Celebrity. You were cruising on RCI, which, though owned by the same parent company, has a completely different Loyalty Program with different rules.

I'm surprised that you haven't seen this subject discussed here. A search of the RCI Main Boards would have saved you the disappointment you experienced once on board.

Sorry you were disappointed but the rules are what they are. Celebrity has lots of different rules. They do not permit smoking on balconies while Royal does. Different lines, same parent company but decidedly different rules.

I know this does not help now, but if you and your SO share the same residence address, you can have C&A link your records so you will share the same C&A level. This will help on future cruises.

Those are the rules on Celebrity. You were cruising on RCI, which, though owned by the same parent company, has a completely different Loyalty Program with different rules.

I'm surprised that you haven't seen this subject discussed here. A search of the RCI Main Boards would have saved you the disappointment you experienced once on board.

That was slightly rude :eek:

What's your opinion?

Joe O

While I am sorry your friend couldn't join you rules are rules and as adults we need to set a good example of the young people around us and follow them.

Just because a sister cruiseline under the same umbrella allows it does not mean that all cruiselines under this umbrella has to. If that is the case how would you feel if all of a sudden Celebrity follows suit and decides that non Diamond members are no longer allowed in the Diamond Lounge?

I always say be careful of what you complain about because the rules can change against you and when it backfires it can bite you where it hurts.

Good point but the possibility of such a rediculously unfair rule never entered my mind.

Joe O

It's more fair than the other way around, what could be more fair than that every person who gets the benefits has to earn them. What it is is less considerate.

That was slightly rude :eek:
What exactly was "slightly rude"? A simple statement of the facts? The OP has been around these boards for 12 years, hard to believe that he wasn't aware of the rules, it's been discussed ad nauseum.

It's more fair than the other way around, what could be more fair than that every person who gets the benefits has to earn them. What it is is less considerate.

Do different ships have different rules? I am thinking that I remember my daughter saying that her and her boyfriend went to the parties and he was able to go with her.

What exactly was "slightly rude"? A simple statement of the facts? The OP has been around these boards for 12 years, hard to believe that he wasn't aware of the rules, it's been discussed ad nauseum.

I was thinking the same. The subject must come up two or three times a week. :confused: ;)

Do different ships have different rules? I am thinking that I remember my daughter saying that her and her boyfriend went to the parties and he was able to go with her.
The policy is fleetwide, it is not uniformly well enforced. And occasionally, a Diamond Conceirge will knowingly allow it if not too many Diamonds are on board for a particular sailing.

My opinion is that it should be the same as Celebrity :-)

I'd be OK with that, especially if the smoking policy were the same as Celebrity.

I really think that it all comes down to the fact that they, at least at times, have problems with the lounges being crowded. The more generous they are with who they let in, the worse the crowding issues will be. I believe that's part of the reason for changes to the C&A program a couple years back that make it slightly more difficult to reach the diamond level.

What has that got to do with me giving my opinion on one issue as asked by the OP ????

Get off your high horse and chill out

Cruise lines only have so much to spend on loyalty programs and different lines allocate it differently. It's easy to say "I want that too" without thinking about what you may have to give up to get it.

What has that got to do with me giving my opinion on one issue as asked by the OP ????

Get off your high horse and chill out

I think you may be the one who needs to chill out a bit. That wasn't any kind of rude or "high horse" response to your post. He was just posing a question of whether you thought all the loyalty benefits should line up with Celebrity. I think it's a valid point. It's easy to want the things from another line that are better, but maybe you can't really expect to get the best of all programs.

And, there are probably some Diamond members who don't want this particular change, because they think the lounges are full enough as it is. What's good for one group is often bad for another. (Like, if I got my wish on the balcony smoking, there would be other unhappy about it.)

I think you may be the one who needs to chill out a bit. That wasn't any kind of rude or "high horse" response to your post. He was just posing a question of whether you thought all the loyalty benefits should line up with Celebrity. I think it's a valid point. It's easy to want the things from another line that are better, but maybe you can't really expect to get the best of all programs.

And, there are probably some Diamond members who don't want this particular change, because they think the lounges are full enough as it is. What's good for one group is often bad for another. (Like, if I got my wish on the balcony smoking, there would be other unhappy about it.)

I was asked by the OP for one opinion - jeez !!!!!!!!!

Archived