First Time - RC - Few questions.

Blair12

Hi,

My husband and I have never been on a cruise before and our going on our first cruise to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas on May 31st (7 nights). I've been doing a lot of research about it, but I still have some details for when on the cruise ship that I just cannot figure out and need assistance.

1. We're scheduled for the dining room at 8:30. We are NOT late night people, at all - we'd much rather be up at 6 in the morning going and in bed at 10. Especially since we dock early in the morning, so we'll definitely be up and going early in the morning probably every morning. I don't see us ever going to a 8:30 dinner. How does My Time Dining work? Do you pick the same time every night? When can we sign up for it it isn't listed on Royal Caribbean's site as of now. I know we can go to the Windjammer (or specialty restaurants) before, but I would like the main dining room experience as well.

2. Regarding dress in the restaurants/elsewhere, my husband and I aren't much into dressing up. Slacks and a nice shirt are fine for both of us, but it's a fight to get my husband in a tie and me in a skirt/dress. Those won't be in our bags. I assume slacks/nice shirt is fine for both Casual and Smart Casual nights, for both of us? I know Smart Casual is "on its way out" based on the message boards, but RC's website indicates Smart Casual will be on our ship for several nights. Also, is it considered acceptable to wear the same outfits at night, and maybe only rotate 2 different outfits at night for each of us?

3. Regarding the Wine and Dine Package - I found some information on the message boards, but looking at what is currently posted on the RC website there is only one possible option of package for the Wine and Dine Package (one possible selection of wines, but various numbers of wine in the package). However, what I saw online only listed one possible price for 5 wines, instead of what I had seen online with different prices based on the quality of line. Do we only get one option on our ship? I guess it varies?

4. Based on past experiences on cruise ships, what are some "must have" items that you always wish you would have brought, but forgot to bring or want to bring for the next time. We're light packers by nature, but our trips generally occur in Europe and Australia, which is certainly a different packing list than on a cruise ship!

5. Are glasses readily available to take out of dining rooms - for our 2 allowed bottles of wine, or for water in our cabin, etc? Just want to make sure we aren't doing something wrong by taking the glasses out. Can food leave the dining room?

6. Also, if you are drinking, can you walk around the ship or is it restricted to where you purchased the drink?

If it isn't blatantly obvious, we're lacking in the social etiquette of a cruise ship. All tips and help are greatly appreciated - and anything else you might think of that I forgot!

The clothes you are suggesting will be just fine for the dining room. I was on this cruise last summer and lots of men did not wear ties and most ladies were in pants. You will be fine. You can take your drink with you and walk around the ship. Enjoy your cruise. Hope you have an outside/ocean view. You will wake up to some awesome scenery. Especially in Tracy Arm.

Hi,

My husband and I have never been on a cruise before and our going on our first cruise to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas on May 31st (7 nights). I've been doing a lot of research about it, but I still have some details for when on the cruise ship that I just cannot figure out and need assistance.

1. We're scheduled for the dining room at 8:30. We are NOT late night people, at all - we'd much rather be up at 6 in the morning going and in bed at 10. Especially since we dock early in the morning, so we'll definitely be up and going early in the morning probably every morning. I don't see us ever going to a 8:30 dinner. How does My Time Dining work? Do you pick the same time every night? When can we sign up for it it isn't listed on Royal Caribbean's site as of now. I know we can go to the Windjammer (or specialty restaurants) before, but I would like the main dining room experience as well. Yes, you can make MTD reservations for the same time everynight. You can even request the same servers. When dining options open up you can reserve online.

2. Regarding dress in the restaurants/elsewhere, my husband and I aren't much into dressing up. Slacks and a nice shirt are fine for both of us, but it's a fight to get my husband in a tie and me in a skirt/dress. Those won't be in our bags. I assume slacks/nice shirt is fine for both Casual and Smart Casual nights, for both of us? I know Smart Casual is "on its way out" based on the message boards, but RC's website indicates Smart Casual will be on our ship for several nights. Also, is it considered acceptable to wear the same outfits at night, and maybe only rotate 2 different outfits at night for each of us? Yes, slacks/nice shirt is acceptable. A lot of people mix & match to save on packing, unfortunately I am not one of them :o

3. Regarding the Wine and Dine Package - I found some information on the message boards, but looking at what is currently posted on the RC website there is only one possible option of package for the Wine and Dine Package (one possible selection of wines, but various numbers of wine in the package). However, what I saw online only listed one possible price for 5 wines, instead of what I had seen online with different prices based on the quality of line. Do we only get one option on our ship? I guess it varies? They recently changed this and currently only offer one package.

4. Based on past experiences on cruise ships, what are some "must have" items that you always wish you would have brought, but forgot to bring or want to bring for the next time. We're light packers by nature, but our trips generally occur in Europe and Australia, which is certainly a different packing list than on a cruise ship! a nightlight for the bathroom. A bottle of Pump hand soap instead of using bar soap for the sink, keeps it less messy/slimy. I always pack garbage bags to put dirty clothes in & store under the bed. OH and since the Carnival fiasco, I am adding a small flashlight to my list!

5. Are glasses readily available to take out of dining rooms - for our 2 allowed bottles of wine, or for water in our cabin, etc? Just want to make sure we aren't doing something wrong by taking the glasses out. Can food leave the dining room? You can ask your cabin attendant or stop by any bar and ask for some glasses to go.

6. Also, if you are drinking, can you walk around the ship or is it restricted to where you purchased the drink? Yes, you can walk around the ship with drink in hand :)

If it isn't blatantly obvious, we're lacking in the social etiquette of a cruise ship. All tips and help are greatly appreciated - and anything else you might think of that I forgot!

See answers above in red. Hope it helps. Enjoy your cruise :D

Firstly let me say you will love the Radiance - it is a wonderful ship and a great crew. We have only sailed Australia/NZ/South Pacific but plan to cruise Alaska in 2014.

I answer below - trust it assists, but most important, don't stress and enjoy.

Hi,

1. We're scheduled for the dining room at 8:30. We are NOT late night people, at all - we'd much rather be up at 6 in the morning going and in bed at 10. Especially since we dock early in the morning, so we'll definitely be up and going early in the morning probably every morning. I don't see us ever going to a 8:30 dinner. How does My Time Dining work? Do you pick the same time every night? When can we sign up for it it isn't listed on Royal Caribbean's site as of now. I know we can go to the Windjammer (or specialty restaurants) before, but I would like the main dining room experience as well. When you board, visit the dining room & request early dining & you may be able to change. MTD may be an option as you can either turn up when you wish to eat, or reserve a time for each day to suit. You may find you actually eat later than at home as the day goes very fast onboard :D We always have late dining and always eat in MDR - dining that way is for us is part of the cruise experience.

2. Regarding dress in the restaurants/elsewhere, my husband and I aren't much into dressing up. Slacks and a nice shirt are fine for both of us, but it's a fight to get my husband in a tie and me in a skirt/dress. Those won't be in our bags. I assume slacks/nice shirt is fine for both Casual and Smart Casual nights, for both of us? I know Smart Casual is "on its way out" based on the message boards, but RC's website indicates Smart Casual will be on our ship for several nights. Also, is it considered acceptable to wear the same outfits at night, and maybe only rotate 2 different outfits at night for each of us? Don't stress - it's nice to dress up a little, but it is your vacation. For formal nights I normally wear a jacket & tie, but my experience is not impacted if others don't. My wife normally wear slacks or a long black skirt and a nice top for formal.

3. Regarding the Wine and Dine Package - I found some information on the message boards, but looking at what is currently posted on the RC website there is only one possible option of package for the Wine and Dine Package (one possible selection of wines, but various numbers of wine in the package). However, what I saw online only listed one possible price for 5 wines, instead of what I had seen online with different prices based on the quality of line. Do we only get one option on our ship? I guess it varies? The package has a number of wines - you can choose a different one from the list each time - we actually found wine we both liked and had that one each night. You can either buy online ahead of time, or once you are on board.

4. Based on past experiences on cruise ships, what are some "must have" items that you always wish you would have brought, but forgot to bring or want to bring for the next time. We're light packers by nature, but our trips generally occur in Europe and Australia, which is certainly a different packing list than on a cruise ship! Most pack too much! We have refined our list each cruise. If you have your documents, passport & credit card you will do ok. For Alaska maybe a warm jacket :D

5. Are glasses readily available to take out of dining rooms - for our 2 allowed bottles of wine, or for water in our cabin, etc? Just want to make sure we aren't doing something wrong by taking the glasses out. Can food leave the dining room? Just ask you stateroom attendent - he will look after you.

6. Also, if you are drinking, can you walk around the ship or is it restricted to where you purchased the drink? Wherever you want to go - just treat the ship as your home - it is at least for the cruise.

see # 4 & just go with the flow - we had no idea what we were doing 1st time and we had a great time. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.

Archived