time to Reduit Beach?

iowahuskerkid

My husband is diving in the morning, but I will be on my own. Should I just wait in port for him to get back? I'm a nervous nelly being by myself and especially being a young woman that don't know where I'm at! He should be back to port by 1-2 pm. Would there be enough time for us to go to Reduit beach for a couple of hours? Or just go to Vigie Beach? Is there shopping near Castries port?

My husband is diving in the morning, but I will be on my own. Should I just wait in port for him to get back? I'm a nervous nelly being by myself and especially being a young woman that don't know where I'm at! He should be back to port by 1-2 pm. Would there be enough time for us to go to Reduit beach for a couple of hours? Or just go to Vigie Beach? Is there shopping near Castries port?

If he is due back around 1-2pm, then no, there's not really time to go up to Reduit Beach for any amount of time. It is about 35 minutes to Reduit, and the return will be longer due to traffic both coming from the beach and around the ports area.

You would be perfectly safe to go up earlier on your own and have him meet you there, Rodney Bay and Reduit Beach are fine for a solo person to hang out; you can get a beach chair an lounge, do some shopping if you want, etc. You could arrange to meet at Spinnakers (beach restaurant/bar where taxis drop off) once he is done. and then return together after an hour or so.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that on your own, you could always do a ship's tour while he is diving - the island is too beautiful to miss! I am sure there are several ships tour options that are for the morning that take you to Soufriere and to see the Pitons, etc - most every ship I've been on or checked has had morning catamaran tours, land tours, etc. That would be a great way for you to pass the time while he is diving - plus, you would actually get to see some of the island.

If you are simply too uncomfortable to do any of this on your own, then yes, there is a bit of shopping in the port areas, but I wouldn't recommend you head out into Castries town, say to the Craft & Food Market. While it is quite sage to head over to the Craft & Food Market, which is right near the ports, if you aren't comfortable taking a tour or heading to Reduit, I would suggest staying away from there also - there are some beggers and such in the area - they are harmless, but the city itself is not as clean/neat as Rodney Bay/REduit Beach area. And I would not recommend wandering through the city regardless, outside of the Craft Market right near the port, Castries city itself has little to see, unless you are on a tour and is very much a working city.

The port area has some duty free shopping - the obligatory Diamonds International, perfume shops, souvenir shops, etc along with a few watering holes. You could stay on the ship in the morning - take advantage of the port specials in the spa and then when hubby returns, explore the shopping in the port area and at the Craft/Food Market (was named the #3 food market in the world by NatGeo)

Vigie beach is about a 25-35 minute walk from the ports areas (depends on which dock). The beach is lovely, great swimming, etc, but there are no facilities - no chairs for rent, etc. A few rum shacks (shacks is the right word) that sell basic eats and drinks (beers, rum punch, rum/coke, etc) down near the entrance to the airport - and you can use the airport facilities, if you go down that far.

Good luck sorting out your plans. I really would recommend checking into a tour while he is diving - no reason to sit and wait around on such a beautiful island!! Enjoy your cruise!

If he is due back around 1-2pm, then no, there's not really time to go up to Reduit Beach for any amount of time. It is about 35 minutes to Reduit, and the return will be longer due to traffic both coming from the beach and around the ports area.

You would be perfectly safe to go up earlier on your own and have him meet you there, Rodney Bay and Reduit Beach are fine for a solo person to hang out; you can get a beach chair an lounge, do some shopping if you want, etc. You could arrange to meet at Spinnakers (beach restaurant/bar where taxis drop off) once he is done. and then return together after an hour or so.

If you don't feel comfortable doing that on your own, you could always do a ship's tour while he is diving - the island is too beautiful to miss! I am sure there are several ships tour options that are for the morning that take you to Soufriere and to see the Pitons, etc - most every ship I've been on or checked has had morning catamaran tours, land tours, etc. That would be a great way for you to pass the time while he is diving - plus, you would actually get to see some of the island.

If you are simply too uncomfortable to do any of this on your own, then yes, there is a bit of shopping in the port areas, but I wouldn't recommend you head out into Castries town, say to the Craft & Food Market. While it is quite sage to head over to the Craft & Food Market, which is right near the ports, if you aren't comfortable taking a tour or heading to Reduit, I would suggest staying away from there also - there are some beggers and such in the area - they are harmless, but the city itself is not as clean/neat as Rodney Bay/REduit Beach area. And I would not recommend wandering through the city regardless, outside of the Craft Market right near the port, Castries city itself has little to see, unless you are on a tour and is very much a working city.

The port area has some duty free shopping - the obligatory Diamonds International, perfume shops, souvenir shops, etc along with a few watering holes. You could stay on the ship in the morning - take advantage of the port specials in the spa and then when hubby returns, explore the shopping in the port area and at the Craft/Food Market (was named the #3 food market in the world by NatGeo)

Vigie beach is about a 25-35 minute walk from the ports areas (depends on which dock). The beach is lovely, great swimming, etc, but there are no facilities - no chairs for rent, etc. A few rum shacks (shacks is the right word) that sell basic eats and drinks (beers, rum punch, rum/coke, etc) down near the entrance to the airport - and you can use the airport facilities, if you go down that far.

Good luck sorting out your plans. I really would recommend checking into a tour while he is diving - no reason to sit and wait around on such a beautiful island!! Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you so much for your great advice! My husband is diving at 3 of the ports we will be at. One of the dive shops has offered to let me ride with them to the dive shop & that beach is a 5 min walk. So that was easy! But for the other islands, I do want to still see the island even though the hubby is busy diving away! :) We should have interesting stories to share at night. I think I'm going to look into a tour to Soufriere and Pitons area. That looks really neat/beautiful to me!

Archived