Sticker shock...

sweetpea222

We're on the NCL Spirit next July, 12 day Grand Med cruise. We have our two daughters along, twelve-years old.

I've pretty much figured out every port but Florence/Livorno. It's towards the end of our cruise and honestly I think the kids will be a little burnt out on art and history. I myself would love to see David and Venus etc, but pricing out the two galleries and it is so $$$$$ !! :eek:

We are heading to Paris for two full weeks after the cruise and will of course be visiting the Louvre as well as other galleries while there.

Has anyone else skipped Florence on a med cruise? Any lingering regrets in doing so? We thought we would head to Pisa to see the leaning tower and take photos, and after that I'm not sure what else to do that is near enough to Livorno that we won't have trouble getting back to the ship.

We're there from 8 am-7 pm, Saturday July 20. Any suggestions for what to do that doesn't include Florence?

Mediterranean cruises are exhausting because they are so port intensive.

I think it is smart of you to consider the 'burn-out' factor, especially since your cruise is in July when it is really hot. There's nothing wrong to deciding either to do something minimal or to just call it your own 'sea day' and enjoy the ship while most everyone else is on shore.

Our last 12 night Med cruise was in November. Although we had specific plans for some ports, we were going to decide on the fly for other ports. (DH has walking issues and we'd been to most of the ports before.) During the cruise, we decided to make one port day our own sea day to sleep in, relax, and not be on the go. That was exactly what we needed.

In addition to the original David, there are several replicas around town - in addition to the Gallery we went to the Bronze David. If you wanted to go into Florence you could check out the Pontevecchio and the Market area without spending a penny other than to get there.

We did skip our tour in Livorno in Jan. of this year because we were burnt out from three days of tours pre-ceding our stop there. My son is 12 and he lost interest in touring by the end of the cruise.

There are lots of other things to do. Pisa is an easy half day tour (you need to do the tour that includes the Leaning Tower Admission tickets). I've done the Cinque Terre which was one of my favorite ship tours but it is a 9 hour tour.

I looked at your itinerary and we did a similar one in July of 2008 and the year before in July of 2007. I'll warn you- it is HOT in the ruins and the kids won't be interested in doing that many ruins. They will be tired of that.

Piraeus (Athens)- was brutally hot and we made that a ship day

Istanbul (the Topkapi Palace was my favorite). You can easily do a half-day tour there because all the sites are in one location.

Naples- Herculaneum is better than Pompeii- half day tour. Girls might like Capri better than the ruins.

Izmir- I'd do Ephesus and specifically the Terrace Houses.

Mykonos- boring island IMO. I'd make that a ship day

Rome- do a narrated tour. We did it on our own and my son actually wished we had done a tour.

Livorno- we bagged our excursion. It rained that day and we were spent.

Toulon- never been there. So I can't help.

Barcelona- we did the ship 1/2 day tour to Montserrat on the day or disembarkation and it was great. Our luggage was safe on the bus and they dropped us off at the airport. There are similar 1/2 day tours that drop off in the city center or at the airport.

Thanks for the replies. I am a little scared of how hot it could be, as I know how draining it can be. In Toulon and Mykonos we might just take the girls to the beach for some relaxation and swimming, then wander town for souvenirs.

I'll have to do some more research. We have decided to choose 2-3 'must sees' in each port, and keep things as simple as possible. Don't want to have to drag along grumpy kids in the heat! If that means returning early to the ship, then we won't worry about it.

We are going to do as many of the ports on our own as possible, but will definitely take a tour to Ephesus. My husband and I have been to Athens, Mykonos, and Ephesus before, so we're pretty confident with those ports.

Let your twelve year olds check out the internet and travel books themselves to give them an idea what there is to see and do, and maybe give them one (or a number of) choice(s)/day(s)/port/s) where they can decide what to do. It is a good way of getting them involved and interested, and you will be surprised what they will come up with.

If you are going to visit the Leaning Tower in Pisa, just don,t bowl up and expect to get in, or you will be shocked to find the first avaialble tickets will be available some days after you have left Livorno on the boat .

You can pre book admission tickets on line around 60 days in advance for a set time. You google leaning tower, pisa and purchase the tickets via their website .

Just a little concerned that the museums & ruins will eventually bore the girls, as well as burn them out. Worst of the heat will be felt at the Acropolis, Pompeii & Ephesus.

As you know, other than the Acropolis which dominates the city centre, Athens' ancient sights are inter-mixed with city life so you'll get a mix of experiences.

Istanbul is interesting, varied & lively and the itinerary's most different culture to your own. If you explore independently (tram from port to the Sultanahmet old-town district, walk the sights & sounds down to the Galata Bridge & tram back to ship) there's no fear of boredom or burn-out here. If the girls become troublesome, you can always sell them in the Grand Bazaar :D

I don't think Izmir has anything to offer except the 60 minute drive to Ephesus. IMHO, this is the excursion most likely to bore the girls, especially combined with places like Pompeii. But you know the place & you know your girls so you're in the best position to judge. Or - since you've been before you may not be too concerned whether or not you go back. So mebbe tell the girls what you know about it & get them to research it as well, then let them decide.They're involved - and you're off the hook ;)

Definately make Mykonos a day of leisure. But don't waste it on the ship.You & they will enjoy wandering the cool & shaded little alleyways of shops & houses, having a swim, & meeting the town's pet pelicans on the harbour-front :cool:

All very compact & easy.

Naples gives you the widest choice of options.

To the girls, after Ephesus Pompeii may seem like just another bunch of ruins, though IMHO it has a lot more to offer. And like Ephesus & the Acropolis it'll be hot hot hot. Unless you have to commit yourselves in advance, you might want to see what the mood is when you arrive in Naples.

Pompeii is on most people's bucket-list, but Herculaneum is much smaller & more manageable, easy to cover in 2 hours or less. Most of Herculaneum's buildings are complete, including roofs, so it has the feel of a Roman town, Pompeii is more like an important archaeological site. Herc is also much less-crowded - and much cooler cos there's plenty of shade. Both can be reached by the half-hourly Circumvesuviana train from Naples, with the girls in tow a taxi to the station is probably best.

Capri is a very different day out. Easy by ferry from close to your ship across the Bay of Naples. Capri is lofty, with magnificent views from the town - accessed by funicular or taxi from the harbour. Very well-heeled, lots of designer shops, very leisurely.

Or mebbe a half-way house. Ferry across the Bay to Sorrento, €1 shuttlebus from harbour up to town, train to Pompeii or Herculaneum, same train onward to Naples.

Cost of those options will be broadly the same. Unless you buy a coffee on Capri :D

And I've not even mentioned the Amalfi coast or Vesuvius!!

Rome will be a heavy day. Because you lose so much time travelling to & from (an hour's train journey each way plus walking to/from stations plus allowance for delays on the return journey) you really do need to plan Rome carefully & buy any tickets in advance.

And you'll not have time for everything. Colosseum is on everyone's list, Forum is close by, Pantheon isn't far from the other end of the Forum. If you want to see inside the Vatican, those places are probably the absolute max you can do. Add the Sistine Chapel & something else has to give. No Sistine Chapel & just a photostop at the Vatican & you'll manage the walk from Pantheon to the Trevi as well. Trevi might be under restoration, check that out. IMHO Spanish Steps come way down the list. Ho-ho buses are way too time-consuming for cruisers, your train tickets give you free use of Rome's metro & local buses. Or take a taxi hop if time is short. The girls won't be bored but you'll all be bushed.

Barca - a mix of ho-ho & walking. No dusty old ruins in Barcelona.

Can't help re Toulon or Livorno.

UKBayern has the right idea.

Get the girls involved in the research, & build their opinions into the mix. :)

Just MHO as always

JB :)

The OP raises a very good issue and shows much wisdom in their thinking. Many folks taking a Med cruise (or simply going to Europe for the first time) try to do everything in a few short days. This is particularly true for those that take excursions (cruise line's or private) in every port. After 2 or 3 days they are often worn out, have some version of shell shock, and cannot sometimes even remember where they have been or what they have done. Sometimes it is just wise to stop and smell the roses. That is one of the major reasons why DW and I were turned off to excursions more then thirty years ago and now do nearly everything on our own. In Europe, why many folks are running to and fro all day long, we are often relaxing in a nice outdoor café with a long lunch (and being entertained by the many tour groups running to and fro in front of our eyes). As to Florence, it is not that expensive for a group of 4 if they simply take a taxi from the port to the Livorno train station (about 20-25 Euros) and take the train into Florence. There is no need to trek though many museums as Florence is one of the most lovely cities in the world. Just walking around, having lunch, browsing the shops, gazing out at the river, going through the flea market, can make a great day. There can be more joy in having some of the world's best gelato then walking through the Uffizi. Actually, the kids might enjoy the Pitti Palace more then the Uffizi or Academia.

Hank

I agree with Hank- wholeheartedly. From the train station in Florence it is an easy walk to the famous Ponte Vecchio which crosses the Arno. Then a leisurely walk to the Pitti Palace. This area is serene and pleasant.

Also- since everything is new to you in Europe- you don't have to do Florence- you can do Pisa, which is closer.

Many of the off the beaten path places are good too like Sienna and Lucca.

Wow...such great suggestions. I'm printing these out to add to my trip planner. Thank you so much, and yes, getting the girls involved in the planning is a great way to engage them and get a sense of how to plan our days. I definitely don't want them tired, cross and arguing as that will make all of us miserable. They are terrific kids, but like any siblings they fight when they get tired and irritable. We are looking for balance and for quality time together, whether that's staring at some ruins or eating ice cream on the street. :D

Kind of nice to know you can take the train to Florence and still have a great day without the pre-booking or expense of the galleries. Not that I'd wouldn't love to see some of the best art in the world, but I don't want to spend $200 euros beforehand only to end up not enjoying my time there, for whatever reason.

Thanks so much for the suggestion to visit Herculaneum over Pompeii. I also love the idea of seeing Sorrento, so perhaps I will take a look at how John Bull outlined the compromise day there. :)

So much to think about it is making my head spin. Add to that our 3 days initially in London, pre- and post- cruise time in Venice and Barcelona (2 nights in each) and then our two weeks in Paris. Whew!!

Thanks again, so much appreciated.

In addition to the original David, there are several replicas around town - in addition to the Gallery we went to the Bronze David. If you wanted to go into Florence you could check out the Pontevecchio and the Market area without spending a penny other than to get there.

Duomo is free also (except to go up to the Dome or visit the Treasury museum). Wandering around Piazza della Signoria is free http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piazza_della_Signoria.

Here's something in Florence the kids might enjoy. There is a Museo di Storia Naturale which has a lovely shady botanical garden with life-size dinosaur statues set amidst fountains, ancient trees and rose bushes. Except for two Italian mothers with their children, we were the only ones there. There is also a building containing gem and mineral exhibits on the site which was fascinating. Another building held dinosaur fossils (but those paled before the a great fossil exhibit we have at the Carnegie Museum here in Pittsburgh). This place in Florence is located only a few blocks away from the Accademi Museum and there are a number of small cafes nearby to get a pizza.

While you are in Paris- There are two restaurants at the Eiffel Tower. If you make a reservation at either of them you can skip the line. Lines for the Eiffel Tower are astronomically long. We were there in summer and stood for over 1.5 hours for the line to the stairs. We walked up to the first level (only about one third of the way up). That was plenty of walking.

I loved the Eiffel Tower at night. Le Jules Verne would be my choice because you are higher up. Reservation need to be made months in advance.

http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/

Also take the kids to Versailles. They have fountain shows, bike rentals, etc. It's really worth the trip.

Thanks so much for the suggestion to visit Herculaneum over Pompeii. I also love the idea of seeing Sorrento, so perhaps I will take a look at how John Bull outlined the compromise day there. :)

Thanks again, so much appreciated.

Here is a link to my post about how we saw Herculaneum and Sorrento in one day very inexpensively and had a great time!! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1523963&highlight=naples+port+day

I have kids your ages and we went on a 3 week europe/cruise trip when they were 9 and 13. My advice (and what we will do this summer on our cruise/paris trip) is:

since they still qualify for NCL kids club--open during port time, find a few days that you plan something on the fly and allow them to stay in the kids club, if they want. This is esp. good after a long day prior. Try to vary a long day with AM 1/2 day things that leave lots of time for pool/relaxing/kids club. The burn out factor was high with my kids---this trip, I am cutting WAY back.

Mykonos is a good place to walk around for a bit and then just go back to the ship. The beach I would recommend is Paradise (not super paradise). You can take a local bus there and then rent umbrella,chairs. It does not get hopping until after 3pm--so in the AM, it 's just cruise passengers. Beach/club was very similar to Cozumel.

Pick a few key sights and that is it. For my kids, it will be Pompeii 1st thing in the AM and maybe Herculaneum---and not try to squeeze in Sorrento or Capri--no matter how much I want to see it--just too long a day. Rome--Colo, Palatine Hill (buy your ticket there--no line) and the Forum---more interesting to my kids that the Vatican--but if you are Catholic, then maybe the Vatican. Athens---just the Acropolis and the Museum (nice AC, snack/restaurant to sit and have a coke) and souvenir shopping down the promenade at the Platka. You could take a HO-HO but from port to the Acropolis and then go back to ship early than set excursion.

My kids oved the cruise for lots of food, american shows, pools, relaxing. have fun!

also, forgot to say that my kids couldn't have cared less about Florence, and their memories of Sienna and other the hill towns (great day trip at the time) have faded, but they still remember seeing the Leaning Tower of Pisa and the Colo.

So much depends on your kids...what they want to do and see, what they are capable of...every kid is different and only you know what your kids can and will do...or want to do...

We've taken our daughters all over the world cruising...They are now 27 and 28 and we just took them along on a cruise to Honduras and Belize...

When they were around your daughters' ages, I remember taking them on a Baltic cruise...followed by 8 days driving around the UK...They held up well through most of it...though, at times, they started saying things like "Not another Castle! Not another church!"...but they did truly enjoy a lot of it...Yet, they also very much appreciated the breaks where we just "went shopping". The older one threw a small tantrum in Tallinn, Estonia and convinced her sister to go back to the ship with her (we had walked about 100 yards from the ship at that point and were going to tour on our own...We took them back to the ship...I think they just needed a break)...To this day, we tease her that she "missed an entire country!"

Back to your original comment about "sticker shock", it DOES get expensive when you take the usual high excursion prices and multiply by four (We know, been there done that)...

Doing ports "on your own" can save a considerable amount of money, but you also risk getting lost, missing or confusing logistical connections not being efficient with your time and not getting as much out of your visit (maybe a little more on the "experience" side, but less educational)...If you do this, please research these ports VERY CAREFULLY...have a plan with alternatives to get you back to your ship on time, just ion case...and carry good maps, internet pages or guidebooks...It is much easier to go "on your own" in smaller ports where the attractions are close to the ship's dock...

My recommendation for many ports, especially where greater distances and multiple destionations are involved is to join or put together a group from your Roll Call here on Cruise Critic and hire a private guide...hopefully you might find another family or two with similar aged kids...Often, splitting the cost 8 or 10 ways (depends on the size vehicle the guide has available) brings the cost down to a managable price...and you can control the itinerary...make it more suited to the kids...Those local guides may have some suggestions on how to do this since they know their home areas well and likely have taken other groups with kids...And they will make efficient use of your time and get you back to the ship on time...

Just a note on Turkey--We used Ekol Travel for tours there before and found their pricing to be VERY reasonable...One trip we had a private full day tour with them to Ephesus, Miletus and Didyma for LESS than the ship was charging for a half day big bus tour to Ephesus alone!

For Livorno, we've done lots of things other than visit Florence: San Gimignano, Volterra, Pisa, Lucca, Puccini's home...But, if you've never been, Florence IS something special...but, yes, in July, it is hot...but so are a lot of the towns around there...I recommend for a lot of this cruise, bring hats, sunscreen and plenty of water...I have a couple of insulated water bottles--like bicyclists and hikers use...and, before leaving the ship in the morning, I fill them up with ICE...As they melt during the day, we always have cool water...

Have fun...

I took my son (age 6 3/4) to the Western Med. with my parents in 2007. He only got off the ship in Dubrovnik, Pompeii and Venice. When we were in those ports he had a little shipmate friend Elizabeth to hang out with and he enjoyed these outings. For the other ports he stayed onboard- Villefrance, Santorini, Rome, Athens, Livorno. My parents did a couple of excursions in Naples and Athens alone. In Livorno- just my father and I did the Cinque Terre excursion and my son stayed onboard with my step-mother.

At dinner almost every night my son ate with the kids in the buffet instead of going to dinner with us. It was a wonderful vacation where everyone was happy.

My son remembers buying a 5 Euro Mickey Mouse toy from a vendor in Venice. That's all he remembers but I had a great time and having the youth program allowed me to enjoy Europe without dragging my son around to places that he was too young to appreciate.

Kids make friends on the ship and really enjoy that aspect of the cruise more than the tours. Don't make them go with you on all of them if they prefer that. When they grow up- they'll go back to Europe again.

In fact- my son is 12 now and we just went back to the Western Med and he really enjoyed the tours and would ask if we have a tour. It was only at the very end of the cruise (the last port day) that he really was done for and so was I.

Dubrovnik2007.jpg.d5ac4cbf0e7a0f6c8a3b15cd150c1e16.jpg

pompeii.jpg.683533273290c880be128e6466ab9d9c.jpg

vce07.jpg.e797902c50e20d815dfbb59d40d864e5.jpg

Venice07.jpg.4e8e8d67e6e8fb338712959f24aef834.jpg

I took my son (age 6 3/4) to the Western Med...

MAJOR difference between cruising with one SIX year old boy ...and two TWELVE year old girls...

Six year olds are going to school and "history" means tracing your hand to make a "turkey" for Thanksgiving...they are reading Dr. Seuss and watching cartoons on TV...

By 12, assume the girls are actually learning a little real history in school, reading books that deal with historical eras and faraway places and watching TV shows that deal with all sorts of fascinating subject matter...

12 year old girls (I know, having raised a couple) generally like to think of themselves as "grown up" a bit...Though I am sure some are different, mine, by that age, enjoyed going on cruises, eating in fancy dining rooms...and being treated like adults...They did get a little bored at times with longer excursions with certain subject matter...but, it's not that they couldn't take it...they just craved a little variety from time to time...Like I said, it helps to mix in a little shopping, maybe a beach activity and some funs stuff WITH the history and archaeology...

And, yes, I agree with some that recommended involving them in the planning...They can get just as excited with certain ports and attractions as we do...

Now, many years later, they DO still remeber many things about their first European adventure...

And, as an adult now, my older daughter, now an adjunct professor and Doctoral student at University of San Francisco, has traveled on her own to Greece (where she took a summer session while an undergrad) and to Israel...She's cruised to the Caribbean on her own...(The younger daughter is just starting out in a career and the travel budget...and time...just isn't there yet)...

But, I truly believe that their travels with us when younger really instilled in them a desire for learning and for travel...

I think 12 is a great age to start them in this direction...

The girls are definitely feeling more like teenagers than children, so yes they will be ok with more history and less play time. We are also travelling with their older cousins, who will be late teens and early 20s, so they will be taking their cues from them. Also they have been in french immersion since kindergarten, so will be able to practice their french while over there.

Funnily enough, they are doing a project at school on a country, and one is doing Italy and the other, Turkey.

Perfect!

I just wanted to add, so much of what you've written has been copied and pasted to my travel planning advice document. It is helping tremendously. :)

I definitely think a mix of activities is the best way to go. Some churches/ruins, some shopping, some gelato and people watching, some relaxation on the ship, etc. With our 12 day itinerary, we do get what amounts to three full ship days, and two half days (arrive in Mykonos at 2 pm, and leave Izmir at 1 pm or something like that). If we plan carefully, we can balance out the rest of the ports appropriately so we get the best of all worlds.

Given the distance from port, Florence will definitely be on the "maybe" list but we may just go to Pisa, see the tower, have lunch/gelato, wander around, and then go back to the ship for dinner. The price of the ship's excursion to Florence is really high, even just for transportation, and I'm nervous about taking the train so far and then having something happen on the way back. I could be a basket case all day, which doesn't contribute to relaxation and enjoyment.

As was said earlier, this is our first time to Italy and while we would love to see and do everything, we need to be smart and sensible about what is possible to do while still staying sane. You've all helped so much with this, thank you!!

I just wanted to add, so much of what you've written has been copied and pasted to my travel planning advice document. It is helping tremendously. :)

I definitely think a mix of activities is the best way to go. Some churches/ruins, some shopping, some gelato and people watching, some relaxation on the ship, etc. With our 12 day itinerary, we do get what amounts to three full ship days, and two half days (arrive in Mykonos at 2 pm, and leave Izmir at 1 pm or something like that). If we plan carefully, we can balance out the rest of the ports appropriately so we get the best of all worlds.

Given the distance from port, Florence will definitely be on the "maybe" list but we may just go to Pisa, see the tower, have lunch/gelato, wander around, and then go back to the ship for dinner. The price of the ship's excursion to Florence is really high, even just for transportation, and I'm nervous about taking the train so far and then having something happen on the way back. I could be a basket case all day, which doesn't contribute to relaxation and enjoyment.

As was said earlier, this is our first time to Italy and while we would love to see and do everything, we need to be smart and sensible about what is possible to do while still staying sane. You've all helped so much with this, thank you!!

You may want to consider Cinque Terre from Livorno. I bet your girls would love to see the 5 tiny seaside villages hugging the coastline, and you can hike between them, or take a boat, or a train. No ruins/churches/art, just gorgeous scenery and a lot of fun. Possible to reach by train too.

Just a thought (that is obvious but often overlooked). Let the kids have some say in your port itineraries. You can encourage them to do their own research and develop their own ideas. We used to give DD some input into travel decisions when she was as young as 5. And she still remembers those trips more then 25 years later.

Hank

Archived