QM2 Soton to Cape Town Jan 2014 advice please

kassiopi

We are thinking of booking the first part of the 2014 world cruise on QM2, Southampton to Cape Town, leaving on 10/1/14. There are 9 sea days after calling in at Tenerife before reaching Namibia and I wondered if any of you had done this or a similar trip and could tell me what the weather/sea conditions would be in January in that part of the world. Thank you. Vera & Mike

My thoughts on this is you should be heading into some really nice weather after leaving Tenerife. Bottom line however is the Queen Mary is a HUGE ocean going liner and I have yet to see ANY footage of this ship rolling more than two or three degrees and I have scoured Youtube trying to find anything that shows anything worse.

I will hopefully be waving to you as we depart Southampton but we are off in a different direction ;)

We are doing the reverse trip in April with 7 days at sea from Namibia to Gran Can.

You can expect worse weather & conditions from Soton to Tenerife in January than the second stage, south of Tenerife. Even in April it should be mild to tropical, it will be pretty warm in January, you get 4 days around about the equator! The seas vary greatly in that part of the world but I wouldn't expect anything too nasty in January, you 'll be fine for that part. Bay of Biscay is the riskier element but that can be tranquil at times too. As stated, QM2 is a massive ocean going liner, not a cruise ship, it is designed to combat any adverse conditions.

Have a great trip.

Wow this is a trip I would love to do on QM2! I have done it several times both ways on smaller ships and the main issue was the night before coming into Cape Town when we always hit rough weather (the Cape Rollers), but I am sure QM2 will most likely handle it well, just be aware that you might get some movement.:)

We enjoyed the same trip in 2012 though it was 7 days at sea for Tenerife to Walvis Bay. They have slowed the journey down for 2014. And we are planning to do it again in 2014.

I have no recollection of any movement of the ship at all on that leg. The sea was smooth all the way. As others have said, even if there is some rough weather you will be on the best ship in the world to handle it.

One unexpected feature of the trip from Tenerife to Walvis Bay was the relative lack of heat as we approached the equator. The sky was high overcast for at least a couple of days caused, as the Commodore explained, by fine dust blowing off the Sahara into the upper atmosphere and partially obscuring the sun.

Thank you all for your input. We have sailed on the QM2 a number of times so know she handles rough weather without any problems but I just wanted to make sure we'd have the weather to enjoy deck time in the sun on the sea days. Will hopefully be booking the trip this week!:)

I have also been looking at this portion of the World Cruise for 2014. I was wondering if we should be port or starboard to get the most sun on our balcony. Also was wondering about the weather (thanks for previous replies). Would be nice to have sun and warmth in January.

DH is not particularly fond of this cruise as there is such a long plane trip home to Canada. They are not selling the plane tickets yet as it is too far out. I hope there is still space when we decide to book.

I have also been looking at this portion of the World Cruise for 2014. I was wondering if we should be port or starboard to get the most sun on our balcony. Also was wondering about the weather (thanks for previous replies). Would be nice to have sun and warmth in January.

DH is not particularly fond of this cruise as there is such a long plane trip home to Canada. They are not selling the plane tickets yet as it is too far out. I hope there is still space when we decide to book.

We had a balcony on the starboard side last time and have just booked the same again for 2014. You get lots of sun and we like being able to watch the sun set while having a 'sundowner' on the balcony.

We are breaking the flight home to Canada with a couple of nights in London, booked on our own as we are going to enjoy 3 weeks of warmth in February in South Africa before we return to the Great White North.

• 3 weeks later...

We've booked! Now all we have to do is have a good season so we can pay for it! Lol. So visit Corfu & help us boost the coffers. Seriously, can't wait to be on our beautiful QM again. We're planning on adding a few extra days in Cape Town so any recommendations for hotels would be appreciated. Where does the ship dock? Also any tip on things not to miss while we're there. Thanks. Vera & Mike

• 4 months later...

Does anyone have experience of the Southampton to Cape Town segment and flying straight back after the cruise (Cunard arranged flight). We are booked on the QM2 January 2014 cruise.

I asked Cunard what happens on disembarkation day and was told that we would leave the ship in the morning and be taken to a hotel. As the flight is at 22:40 it doesn't seem a very exciting way to spend a day. Is this what actually happens. I was also told that it was possible to book an excursion and I see there is an 8 hour one on the disembarkation day. However the arrangements of luggage handling seemed vague - I was told that it may be possible to leave bags with the ship and pick them up later.

Any tips of what others have done would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Archived