Where to stay in Miami

CollinsMama

We are first-time cruisers, booked on the Sky 11/4 for a 4-night cruise to the Bahamas.

I have a million questions, but my first concern is where to stay the night before, as we get to Miami on the 3rd.

Also, how do we get from the hotel to the port, and what time should we arrive at the port.

Thanks so much!!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

You will find a lot of information on hotels on the NORTH AMERICAN HOMEPORTS board on the main page. Look for East Coast Departures FLORIDA and you can read where people have stayed and what they offer.

Usually some hotels have a port shuttle, but you can always get a taxi.

Have a great time!

We stayed at the Embassy Suites near the airport. Their shuttle picked us up at the airport, there is a free cocktail party and free breakfast. they also have a free shuttle to take you wherever you want to go.On cruise day, we picked 11 am for their free shuttle to the pier.

We are first-time cruisers, booked on the Sky 11/4 for a 4-night cruise to the Bahamas.

I have a million questions, but my first concern is where to stay the night before, as we get to Miami on the 3rd.

Also, how do we get from the hotel to the port, and what time should we arrive at the port.

Thanks so much!!!

We leave tomorrow for our Epic Adventure...I wanted a budget friendly hotel..only going to be sleeping there..our travel agent booked us into the Sleep Inn. It is full tomorrow night so must be a few cruisers staying there :)

They have a complimentarty shuttle from the airport. When you arrive you call and they send the shuttle. You can use your cell phone or go to the info desk at arrivals and they will let you use their phone to call. That's what I will be doing as I am from Canada and not getting an international package on my phone.

They also have a shuttle to the port...cost is $10.00 pp paid directly to the driver. Cash. When I called this morning to get the details on how to get the shuttle(s) I was able to reserve our seats on the port shuttle. I was told it is a large bus and they have 2 one at 11:00 and the next at 12:00.

Trip advisor has reviews and pictures. Search Sleep Inn Miami Springs (airport) Overall the reviews are good...it is not fancy but is good for a cruise before and after (in our case) stop. It also Includes continental breakfast.

We stayed at the Embassy Suites near the airport. Their shuttle picked us up at the airport, there is a free cocktail party and free breakfast. they also have a free shuttle to take you wherever you want to go.On cruise day, we picked 11 am for their free shuttle to the pier.

Ditto....

Thanks so much!!!

We've previously stayed at the Hyatt downtown, nice hotel and it's on a causeway. However, a couple years ago we stumbled across the Bayside Marketplace which is in downtown Miami right on the bay. Lots of shops, etc, and, there's a Holiday Inn right across the street - which we're staying in before our cruise this fall. But depending on your budget there are plenty of options. Some folks like staying by the airport, others in Ft. Lauderdale, and others like us stay downtown. Easiest way to get to the port is to just grab a taxi. We typically arrive at the port after 10:30. The great thing about CC is you'll get a lot of opinions and recommendations, and should be able to be fully prepared for your cruise. Welcome, and have fun!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

We stayed at the Intercontinental, right beside the Market. Great restaurants in the downtown area. We even picked up our wine at the CVS which was close by. We love to walk so we were in heaven. Very easy and fun to get around. We took a taxi to the hotel from the airport and then from the hotel to the port. Not expensive. We booked the hotel online and got a good price with upgrades. We had a fantastic view of the water and could see the cruise ships coming and going. I would highly recommend this hotel. :D

We just stayed at Hampton Inn Suites Downtown Miami brickell. They were great. Hotel is very nice. WE got 2 coupons for free drinks. Free Breakfast which everyone said was great. I didnt eat because I have Celiac. My husband is fussy. He said it was very good. Good Coffee at nite with all flavors. Also had cold fruit drinks in the afternoon. Room is very nice and huge shower and tub. It was only a couple minutes from Bayside,Publix and all kinds of places to eat. They also offer a shuttle in the am for $8.00 pp . They were very efficient too. We are planning to stay there on our next cruise from Miami too. Service there is really good too. There is also a people walker 2 minutes from there too.

You have three basic options:

1. Arriving late and just want an inexpensive room and maybe dinner? :confused: Search for hotels and motels near the MIA airport; most offer free airport shuttles and can arrange for shuttle service to POM for about $10-12 per person, or you can cab it for under $30. Hotels in the Blue Lagoon area are popular (with shopping and dining within walking distance), as is the ES and 2 budget options - La Quinta East and Comfort Suites North.
  2. Want to stay near POM? :confused: Then search for downtown Miami hotels. Taxi from MIA will run about $25+tip and a cab to POM the next day will cost about $10-12+tip. Doubletree, Marriott, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, Hyatt and IC are favorites on these boards.
  3. Want the beach, the night life and the Miami you see in the movies and on TV? :confused: Then head to Miami Beach. Taxi to South Beach (most popular and closest to POM) from MIA will cost $32+. Hotels there are smaller and more expensive, but the dining, nightlife, people watching, and beach are great. If you go farther north you can save $$, but are farther from the action and will spend more on taxis.

If you fly into FLL to save money on airfare it is usually easier to stay there and then shuttle to Miami the next day. Good luck! :)

• 7 months later...

Anyone stayed at Sleep Inn Miami Springs (airport) and used the shuttle to the port recently. Wondering if it is still $10, how well it worked and how getting back to the motel worked. I assume a taxi , if so about how much should I expect to pay for my DW and I.

Thanks. Cruising on 11/30/13 Carnival Liberty

Anyone stayed at Sleep Inn Miami Springs (airport) and used the shuttle to the port recently. Wondering if it is still $10, how well it worked and how getting back to the motel worked. I assume a taxi , if so about how much should I expect to pay for my DW and I.

Thanks. Cruising on 11/30/13 Carnival Liberty

We stayed there and it worked out great. It was in-expensive and convenient.

There is a good chinease food place a 5 min walk that we ate at twice. Nothing fancy but good food at a decent price.

The complimentary breakfast is not bad, but gets very crowded, only a few tables, so I suggest going early..the line for making waffles gets quite long.

We stayed a few extra days after the cruise, and took the NCL everglades tour...it was EXCELLENT...if you are not taking an early flight after I highly reccomend it. The tour was really good, and included transportation to the airport after. From there we called the hotel (only 5 min drive from airport) and they sent the shuttle to pick us up..free.

It worked out really well for us and saved a bunch of money since we wanted to do an everglade tour but if we left from the hotel we had to pay to get to the tours as most do not provide transportation.

Logistics and extra cost were a night mare. By doing it through NCL, everything was taken care of.

You have helped me make up my mind. Originally looking at South Beach and them Holiday Inn uptown near port. We are driving down and parking seems to be tough and $$$$ anywhere near South Beach or the port. We will not get in town until late afternoon on day 1, can spend all day in South Beach on day 2, then we cruise on day 3. Ocean View would be nice but seems like too much hassle. We will be on the ocean for 7 days in a suite so we should be OK for 2 nights at the airport.

LOVED the Holiday Inn Port of Miami! You can walk across the street to Bayside Market Place. Plenty to do and several places to eat. You can see your ship from the hotel and is a quick 5 min ride to the port from your hotel. It's the only hotel we will ever stay at.

You have three basic options:

1. Arriving late and just want an inexpensive room and maybe dinner? :confused: Search for hotels and motels near the MIA airport; most offer free airport shuttles and can arrange for shuttle service to POM for about $10-12 per person, or you can cab it for under $30. Hotels in the Blue Lagoon area are popular (with shopping and dining within walking distance), as is the ES and 2 budget options - La Quinta East and Comfort Suites North.

Unless things have changed since last October (does anyone know?), the La Quinta Miami Airport East offers a free shuttle to the Port of Miami, and it is $10/pp to return, payable in cash to the driver on the way to the port.

The OP didn't mention if they were flying or driving in, but again, as of last year the LQ Arpt East also offered free parking for up to a 7-day cruise. Considering how much it costs to park at the pier, this hotel choice was a no-brainer on our last two cruises.

Drawback: there isn't much to walk to around the hotel, so plan ahead.

The hotel does a LOT of cruise business, so I'm fairly sure they are still offering this. Last October our "shuttle" was a full-sized bus, with luggage storage below; the whole nine yards.

Edited by Pellaz

• 2 months later...

It worked out GREAT. Used the port transport offered through Liccia Tours and Ms Carmen Lopez. I would highly recommend this to anyone cruising out of Miami, wanting to stay a night or two before hand and save $$$$ on port parking. :) $5 per night at motel compared to $20 at port.