New Orleans questions

richbum

I hear crawfish are in season in March. We have never had them. Any recommendations?

Yes, they'll be just starting to come into season.

You'll find them everywhere, in everything from gas stations to large grocery stores. Wander down the street until you see a sign "boiled crawfish" :) The "recipes" vary wildly, so give it at least a second chance if you find something you don't like.

Don't be a wuss, buy 5 lb sack, and grab a loaf of bread and some beer if you're not used to heat. Also grab a loaf of bread and some beer even if you are

Yes, they'll be just starting to come into season.

You'll find them everywhere, in everything from gas stations to large grocery stores. Wander down the street until you see a sign "boiled crawfish" :) The "recipes" vary wildly, so give it at least a second chance if you find something you don't like.

Don't be a wuss, buy 5 lb sack, and grab a loaf of bread and some beer if you're not used to heat. Also grab a loaf of bread and some beer even if you are

Thanks! No wusses here, bring on the heat!

How are Marriott on Canal Street and JW Marriott (also on Canal) as post cruise hotels. I'm planning on staying at one or the other for two nights.

The Marriott on Canal Street is massive. I have stayed at the JW several times and the service is great. Its smaller and easier to deal with.

Is the Audubon institute still running the zoo cruises? I thought they sold the boat about 5 years ago.

Also, Deanies at Iberville and Dauphine is great, and check out Cafe Amelie near the Andrew Jackson Hotel is REALLY good for an informal lunch, it is more business casual or formal for dinner though, so be prepared.

For a good poboy, look for Johnny's Poboys on St. Louis near Decatur. Also check out the New Orleans school of cooking while there if you are interested in learning about the cuisine of the city.

(I don't live there now, but have in the past, and consider that home)

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to find this thread, leaving for New Orleans in a few weeks for a cruise. We have family south on NO so have taken many trips there but never had a need to stay in town so this will be the first time. We have a room booked at the Hilton Riverside and I was thinking this would be a very easy walk to the terminal. Is this correct?

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton on Canal St. Its a minutes walk from all the French Quarter has to offer.

I would discourage getting a muffuletta if there is a line. Highly overrated and the line moved very very slow. If you're going to wait in line, wait to get into an actual restaurant.

I dream of being able to go to New Orleans again. It's truly one of America's premier cultural cities.

Please remember the following from the Posting & You! section in the Guidelines we all agreed to follow when registering for our free memberships:

Answer Posts on the Boards, Not Via Email!

Please try to answer message board posts on the boards instead of E-mail when appropriate. There is a lot of great information that we're all missing because it is passing through private E-mail. There are of course times when private E-mail is more appropriate but if you have information that would be helpful to many people, please try to come back to the boards and post it rather than replying to a posting through E-mail.

Kat 50.gif

and didnt want to interrupt this post by asking about all things new orleans being wheelchaif friendly

When doing your wheelchair research on the Cruise Critic boards, be sure you are on the correct forum. Please feel free to use the Search this Forum feature on all Cruise Critic message board forums with your key word or words. It will help narrow down the threads in the forums you will want to read during your research. Also, you can see if your inquiry has been asked and answered before. And it probably has... many, many times! 05.gif

Click the Search this Forum feature to open the drop down menu. Type in your key word or words then click the little Go button. I suggest you do not try a search with too many or too common of key words at one time. This will sometime overwhelm the search feature with too many threads to scan and it will time out. From time to time, you may receive an error message that says "Search function is down". PLEASE TRY AGAIN in a few moments. This message will often pop up during the busiest times of the day. Also, click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=969846 for the Sticky titled How To Perform More Detailed and Specific Searches on the Boards.

After you have browsed/researched for your topic and possibly not found an answer, click the New Thread button on the forum and word your new inquiry title so the other members scrolling through the thread titles will know exactly the information you seek. This will help the members so they can reply to you.

It is best to limit each inquiry to only one topic or concerning one cruise line, port of call, etc. and on the correct forum. You will get more replies that way. Be sure to mention your cruise line, ship or sail date in your inquiry if it will help the members with their answers to you.

In your case, I suggest you start a new thread with your inquiry pertaining to New Orleans being wheelchair friendly on this or one of the following forums:

Ports of Call - New Orleans: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Disabled Cruise Travel: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

That way, your fellow Cruise Critic members with personal wheelchair experience will see your new thread title and help you with their replies.

I sincerely hope this information will be helpful!

Kat 50.gif

Archived